The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5160
Original post by warp2125
Its not stupid.... in fact there fairly valid things to consider. All you can do is try and not let them get to you. :smile:

Thank you for your reply :smile:

I am trying hard to be logical about stuff but have been struggling to rein the negative stuff in recently. I went out in the rain last night to check the car was still there cos I was convinced someone had stolen it.
Reply 5161
I'm starting to realise stuff about myself and I hate it. Broke down in counselling and I'm realising how much of the stuff that I'm depressed about is down to me and how pathetic I am. I'm a mess.
Reply 5162
Original post by Wheek
Thank you for your reply :smile:

I am trying hard to be logical about stuff but have been struggling to rein the negative stuff in recently. I went out in the rain last night to check the car was still there cos I was convinced someone had stolen it.

If you feel things are getting bad you really should seek some professional help.... just to be safe. Trying to get through things on your own is far harder then it looks.... I tried and made a right flapjack of it....

How you feeling now?
Hey guys, advice? I was advised by my psychologist not to take an exam last week and therefore emailed the course tutor to say that I was mentally unwell enough to sit it. The tutor emailed me saying that's fine and asked how I am and when I'll be able to take it. Now the problem, he is aware that I've previously had auditory hallucinations and paranoia but it's got to the stage at the moment where people are telling me I'm having a psychotic break because I keep telling them the government is spying on me because they think I have special powers (I can understand where they're coming from but it is actually happening). So what do I exactly say to this tutor? I won't be able to sit the exam this term as whether it's real or not the paranoia means I can't leave my room and I get very uneasy around electronics as they've been bugged (test is on a computer). Do I say 'apparently I'm in a middle of a psychotic episode' or 'the government is watching me'. I really don't want to sound friggin crazy as he is my tutor after all but then at least he would understand why I can't take the exam.... HELP!?
Reply 5164
Original post by abc101
I'm starting to realise stuff about myself and I hate it. Broke down in counselling and I'm realising how much of the stuff that I'm depressed about is down to me and how pathetic I am. I'm a mess.

Hey, I know the feeling.... it sort of hits you.... the sort of realization that the mess your in is self made. This may not help but I looked at it like this... if i made the mess then only I can fix it. So i did.

Your not pathetic... your human... these things happen....dont be too hard on yourself.:console:
Reply 5165
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey guys, advice? I was advised by my psychologist not to take an exam last week and therefore emailed the course tutor to say that I was mentally unwell enough to sit it. The tutor emailed me saying that's fine and asked how I am and when I'll be able to take it. Now the problem, he is aware that I've previously had auditory hallucinations and paranoia but it's got to the stage at the moment where people are telling me I'm having a psychotic break because I keep telling them the government is spying on me because they think I have special powers (I can understand where they're coming from but it is actually happening). So what do I exactly say to this tutor? I won't be able to sit the exam this term as whether it's real or not the paranoia means I can't leave my room and I get very uneasy around electronics as they've been bugged (test is on a computer). Do I say 'apparently I'm in a middle of a psychotic episode' or 'the government is watching me'. I really don't want to sound friggin crazy as he is my tutor after all but then at least he would understand why I can't take the exam.... HELP!?

Thats tricky to answer... can you get the physiologist to speak to your tutor and see if things can be worked out.
Reply 5166

Agree with post above that you could maybe see about your psychologist contacting your tutor for you, or if not you could tell him what's happening in a firm but vague way. Something like "I'm having some quite serious/severe mental health problems at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll be well enough to take the exam".
They might ask further questions after that, or they might not. :hugs:

I figured I might have got sick due to not eating very much so I just made myself soup with tomatoes, onions, peppers and carrot (with ham because I just have to have protein :rolleyes:). It tastes surprisingly good.

Mood still feels flat and a bit lethargic. Now that I've been told I'm going to get a med change I want it ASAP, but I don't know when my medical review is.
I'm also nervous about their questions regarding eating and psychosis, my two least favourite topics with professionals.
Original post by Aemiliana
Thanks. I'm not really sure how DSA would be any help or even given to someone with depression though :erm:

---

Feel like a bag of ****. Really don't want to do anything, I just want to lie in bed in the dark and cry.

Well I've been told to apply for it (depression counts as a disability :fyi:). Some things might seem like they don't make sense until you think about them a bit more, like I'm hoping to get a printer as this will enable me to do stuff I'd otherwise have to go into uni to print off, when sometimes I'm incapable of leaving my room. You can also get voice recording equipment for if you struggle in lectures with paying attention/taking notes and stuff. The thing I think would be most helpful for me is getting the funding to have a mentor, as I struggle a lot with motivation and organisation. Seeing as I'm only in the process of applying I'm not the best person to tell you all the stuff you might be able to get, but I know a few people on here have got stuff from them, and you could also ask for more info on the disabled students forum.

Original post by Sabertooth
Goddamnit, I hate quetiapine.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by FuzzySheep
I don't want to cry anymore, I hate it, I hate that I'm so weak and give in so easily, it's so hard to bloody fight this and I don't want to have to cry every single day for the rest of my life and live waiting for the next up. I genuinely think I'm all broken, I'm not normal, I'm not right, not like everyone else. I've fought self-loathing for ages, I've tried everything to make things better, but there's nothing much I feel there's left to exist for. I don't have anything, I don't have anyone. I would give anything to disappear, it's not worth it anymore

:hugs: You're an awesome person, and you're not broken, just a little bit screwed up like the rest of us. :tongue: And I know absolutely what you mean about feeling like you've tried everything and just wanting to disappear, but some things in life still are worth living for, and we're here to help keep you going whenever you need us. :smile:

Depending on how much you feel comfortable telling the tutor, I'd probably start off being quite vague with them. You could probably just say you're having 'serious mental health problems' and offer to get your psychologist to write you a letter - they should have experience knowing how much information is necessary. I've never felt much need to hide details of my depression from uni, but I know other people prefer to be more private.

Hope you start feeling better soon. :console:
Reply 5168
If you feel things are getting bad you really should seek some professional help.... just to be safe. Trying to get through things on your own is far harder then it looks.... I tried and made a right flapjack of it....

How you feeling now?

Yeah, past experience has taught me to admit I am struggling and to ask for help, it took a while for me to realise its better to ask for the help than to bury my head in the sand and hope it all goes away. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow so will talk to her about it.

Was feeling a bit better then I saw the neg rep left on my post and so some self worth/anxiety issues have popped up again, so off to practice some of the techiniques from therapy to see if I can chill out a bit and regain a little perspective on everything.
Original post by Wheek
Yeah, past experience has taught me to admit I am struggling and to ask for help, it took a while for me to realise its better to ask for the help than to bury my head in the sand and hope it all goes away. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow so will talk to her about it.

Was feeling a bit better then I saw the neg rep left on my post and so some self worth/anxiety issues have popped up again, so off to practice some of the techiniques from therapy to see if I can chill out a bit and regain a little perspective on everything.

Good luck with the GP, and have some + rep. :h:
Thanks. I'm not really sure how DSA would be any help or even given to someone with depression though :erm:

---

Feel like a bag of ****. Really don't want to do anything, I just want to lie in bed in the dark and cry.

I get DSA for Depression / Emotionally Unstable PD / whatever other diagnosis I had when I applied. The things I got were:

- Laptop (MacBook Pro... :drool:)
- Printer
- Software for the laptop
- Voice recorder to use in lectures
- Mentor I see once a week to help me keep up to date with my organisation and study skills)
- Someone to take notes for me for 10 hours a week (I do more than 10 hours, so I have note takers in the lectures I find it more difficult to concentrate it / more difficult to catch up on)
- Postgraduate support (which is someone who will sit with me once a week for around an hour and go over things I didn't get in lectures because I couldn't concentrate, or because I missed the lectures) - I haven't got this yet, but I will get it next year.
- I can claim money back on such things such as stuff for my printer, or other costs I will incur from my equipment.
- I also am allowed to claim money back if I need to get a taxi somewhere because I'm too distressed to use public transport, or walk... I haven't actually used this, but it's nice to know its there.

And not from DSA but as a result of the assessment I get:

- Extra time & rest breaks in exams
- I'm allowed to have 'alternative assessments' which means that if I am too anxious to do a group presentation I'm allowed to do it in front of less people or not do it at all and do an essay instead or something.

Phew... I think that is everyone. I didn't expect anything, but the people who do the assessment are really good at making you feel at ease and finding out how they can help you. Any questions, just ask me.
Mums partner just died. One more little girl in the world who has to grow up without a father.
Original post by bullettheory
I get DSA for Depression / Emotionally Unstable PD / whatever other diagnosis I had when I applied. The things I got were:

- Laptop (MacBook Pro... :drool:)
- Printer
- Software for the laptop
- Voice recorder to use in lectures
- Mentor I see once a week to help me keep up to date with my organisation and study skills)
- Someone to take notes for me for 10 hours a week (I do more than 10 hours, so I have note takers in the lectures I find it more difficult to concentrate it / more difficult to catch up on)
- Postgraduate support (which is someone who will sit with me once a week for around an hour and go over things I didn't get in lectures because I couldn't concentrate, or because I missed the lectures) - I haven't got this yet, but I will get it next year.
- I can claim money back on such things such as stuff for my printer, or other costs I will incur from my equipment.
- I also am allowed to claim money back if I need to get a taxi somewhere because I'm too distressed to use public transport, or walk... I haven't actually used this, but it's nice to know its there.

And not from DSA but as a result of the assessment I get:

- Extra time & rest breaks in exams
- I'm allowed to have 'alternative assessments' which means that if I am too anxious to do a group presentation I'm allowed to do it in front of less people or not do it at all and do an essay instead or something.

Phew... I think that is everyone. I didn't expect anything, but the people who do the assessment are really good at making you feel at ease and finding out how they can help you. Any questions, just ask me.

Original post by superwolf
Well I've been told to apply for it (depression counts as a disability :fyi:). Some things might seem like they don't make sense until you think about them a bit more, like I'm hoping to get a printer as this will enable me to do stuff I'd otherwise have to go into uni to print off, when sometimes I'm incapable of leaving my room. You can also get voice recording equipment for if you struggle in lectures with paying attention/taking notes and stuff. The thing I think would be most helpful for me is getting the funding to have a mentor, as I struggle a lot with motivation and organisation. Seeing as I'm only in the process of applying I'm not the best person to tell you all the stuff you might be able to get, but I know a few people on here have got stuff from them, and you could also ask for more info on the disabled students forum.

Ah right, okay. I already have a printer and dictaphone for those reasons so I guess I couldn't see anything additional.

---

I'm probably not going to finish this essay on time. After delaying it all week because starting back on fluoxetine was making me feel really ill, I am now about halfway through the reading (it's due by 5pm tomorrow) and I just feel really low. I'm taking some time out to try and cheer up but then i'll get back to it. I also binged on cereal. :sigh: I'm fed up of binges now.
I'm probably not going to finish this essay on time. After delaying it all week because starting back on fluoxetine was making me feel really ill, I am now about halfway through the reading (it's due by 5pm tomorrow) and I just feel really low. I'm taking some time out to try and cheer up but then i'll get back to it. I also binged on cereal. :sigh: I'm fed up of binges now.

I am running way behind on all my university work too because of all this stuff :/ I also spend all of my life binging on cereal and I am sick and tired of it too, but no idea how to stop it without just stopping eating all together (which is the usual solution)
Reply 5174
Original post by Wheek

Thats good.... for what its worth your smarter about it then I was.... lol... I thought I could tackle anything. Never for a second did i think that i would be overwhelmed by my own emotions.

Good luck with the GP. :smile:
Reply 5175
Good luck with the GP, and have some + rep. :h:

Thank you :smile:

Thats good.... for what its worth your smarter about it then I was.... lol... I thought I could tackle anything. Never for a second did i think that i would be overwhelmed by my own emotions.

Good luck with the GP. :smile:

Thanks. Not really that smart as it took me 8 years and 4 hospital stays to figure it out. Its only been in the last 6 months after lots of therapy that I have realised my old strategy of ignore it till it goes away was not really working so well!
Just went to A&E so they said I'd be waiting for up to three hours. Predictably I got very anxious and promptly left :frown:
Original post by 35mm_
Just went to A&E so they said I'd be waiting for up to three hours. Predictably I got very anxious and promptly left :frown:

:console: Try going sometime when it won't be too busy, like a weekday morning maybe? Also, you could try asking the crisis team about if they can get anyone to see you about taking your stitches out - worth a shot at any rate.
Reply 5178
I know they say dreams have some deep routed meaning but WTF.. I had a dream last night it was my mum who had died and my dad had found a new woman.

Bizarre. Utterly Bizarre.
:console: Try going sometime when it won't be too busy, like a weekday morning maybe? Also, you could try asking the crisis team about if they can get anyone to see you about taking your stitches out - worth a shot at any rate.

Thanks. Yeah, forgot about asking the crisis team. Saw them today and they finally saw first hand how anxious I was feeling so they gave me some lorazepam. They also said that they were considering referring me to the Early Intervention team, although they can't make any promises because this isn't my first psychotic episode.

Latest