The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

wah. just stepped onto the scary part of the internet O.o

It's so sad that we all feel this way, really makes me worry for people that it's so hard to get good help and support :s-smilie:
Original post by bullettheory
I'll answer based on my experiences, but I haven't been in CAMHS for some years, so it may be outdated.

It depends on who you will see, mostly I have seen a CPN (a nurse) or a social worker first, and then if they deem that it is needed, you will see a psychiatrist on a seperate date. I have had initial assessments with psychiatrists though. It will probably say on your appt letter.

It's up to you if you want your mum there or not. Usually they are there to start with, but then whoever is doing your assessment will ask if you want them to leave, often they make them leave then ask you this question, so you aren't under pressure. What happened with me was, that my dad came in, he left, the woman asked if i wanted him there, i said no, she then went out and told him to wait, we talked, then he came back in at the end and she discussed what was going to happen next.

It has been known for some people to ask to see your cuts, although I have never been asked by a psychiatrist, CPN, social worker or any other MH professional to show them my cuts. The only time I got asked to show them was by an A&E doctor, and I refused, and they just left it.

They will often ask whats going on right now, and you will just describe the problems, they will then ask you specific questions, based on what you have said, then usually take a history (my dad came back to help me with this, although its not compulsory, I just didn't know much about my family history) - history is both of you and also your family. They will then probably sum up what you have said, and then decide where to go from there. They will not make any firm decisions there and then, don't worry, this doesn't mean they didn't listen to you, they have to discuss each case at a meeting with all the professionals, so they can decide what is the best way forward (other people may have a better idea of what is best for you). Once they know what is going to happen, they will get back in touch with you, usually by letter, and then you will either be taken on with the service, asked to see someone else in the service for a better opinion (most likely a psychiatrist), or they will refer you to somewhere more appropriate (usually back with your GP).

Hope that helped, if you have any questions, just PM me.

That's cleared a lot of things up for me, thanks a lot.

I was referred through a student mentor at my school and CAMHS just phoned my mum with appointment details so it's been really informal so that's probably why I'm unsure.

The main thing I'm worried about is sitting down, somebody asking me a really broad question and me having no idea what to say.
Reply 5302
Original post by Anonymous
Really sorry for my excessive posting tonight but I have a few questions.

It's my first CAMHS appointment tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect. I know a few people in here have been there and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me.

First of all, who will I see?
Will I be given the option for my mum to leave or will she be there throughout?
Do you think they will want to see my self-harm cuts?
Seeing as it is my first appointment, will they want to know everything in masses of detail or just a general overview and ship me off to somebody else?

I'm going to sound like a proper CAMHS nerd here, and I swear I'm not, it's just that my old psychiatrist is one of the people that created CAPA.

If your CAMHS service uses CAPA (which is just a system to prevent long waits and provide a better service for patients etc.) then you might get a 'choice' appointment with a clinician, who might be a psychologist, nurse, social worker, possibly psychiatrist, and they'll just try to see what you need/want from services and move forwards from there.

They will be doing a 'risk assessment' thing as they go, to see how you rate on suicidality and the like, because they are there to help as much as they can. They will most likely ask about the self harm, they may or may not ask to see the cuts, that probably depends on the person and how recently you've been doing it.

I had to fill a form in at the beginning of my first appointment, and they asked my mum to fill in one too. Can't remember a lot of the question to be honest, but stuff about self harm, suicidal thoughts, (and I seem to remember it asking if I stole a lot) where you rate things from 1-5 on a scale of severity..

That's basically just to get a ballpark estimate of what your problem might be, because CAMHS deal with everything from autism to ADHD to depression and all the rest of it. You fill in another form just before you leave too, hopefully showing some signs of improvement.

Obviously the service I used was using CAPA, so I don't have any experience of anything else. I didn't go to the initial appointment, probably because I'd have found it too distressing, so my mum, a teacher and a social worker went, and I was assigned a psychologist who I saw I think once a week, and then was referred on to the psychiatrist a few weeks later to try to medicate my depression.

If they offer you counselling but you think it isn't working, I'd advise you to try and stick it out. I gave up on mine because I was so pissed off at everything and everyone, but with hindsight I can see that it was helping.

And the main thing is just to try to relax. These people do these jobs because they care and they want to help. The two people I worked with were really nice, understanding, good listeners etc.

They're also really good at explaining stuff to parents (if it needs it). My mum was doing a lot of things that were making me worse, and the dr's were only too happy to let her know (nicely) when I was too scared of causing an argument.

It'll be fine, you'll be a bit nervous but that's normal. Don't worry if you forget anything because you can just bring it up at your next appointment. :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
That's cleared a lot of things up for me, thanks a lot.

I was referred through a student mentor at my school and CAMHS just phoned my mum with appointment details so it's been really informal so that's probably why I'm unsure.

The main thing I'm worried about is sitting down, somebody asking me a really broad question and me having no idea what to say.

Ah yeah, that is quite informal way of doing it, mine was the same so I had no idea what to expect either.

The broadest it will get is "So what's the problem atm", which is the first question usually. But they are used to people not being open, hell, on my first 4 appts with them I hardly said anything :colondollar: On my 5th i started to open up, and they never got annoyed about it, just gave me the space and time. Sometimes we talk about random rubbish (recently at an assessment by the Crisis Team, we talked about our favourite alcohol and nightclubs for around 30mins until I felt comfortable to talk about other stuff). They are there to make you feel comfortable. If you have things you specifically want to ask, I suggest that maybe you write them on a bit of paper, so you won't forget, that helps me. Plus if I get stuck, I can try going through each of the points, or even hand it to them, so they can read it.
Reply 5304
Still worried about my friend. She doesn't usually do this. She's not even receiving my messages. I hope she's OK :sad:
Reply 5305
Original post by avhhs
Still worried about my friend. She doesn't usually do this. She's not even receiving my messages. I hope she's OK :sad:

:hugs:

It's getting late/early, maybe she's had an early night and is sleeping through your attempts to comfort her. Try not to worry :console:.
Reply 5306
Original post by Nut.

It's getting late/early, maybe she's had an early night and is sleeping through your attempts to comfort her. Try not to worry :console:.

I know I shouldn't, but I also sent her messages around lunchtime, and she didn't reply to those.

I can tell she hasn't received them, because on WhatsApp, if there are two ticks next to a message, that means the person has received it. The ones I sent to her today only show one tick, which means they've been sent but not received.

Some other times when talking to me, she had been feeling suicidal. Which is why I'm so worried.

And thanks :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5307
I don't know what has happened to me. I just can't stop thinking negative things.

Things like: (note: may be triggering)
She has committed suicide and I'm at her funeral (this is the worst one)
My life is really crap and boring
No one loves me

And of course can't sleep as a result.

:cry: :cry:
Original post by avhhs
I don't know what has happened to me. I just can't stop thinking negative things.

Things like: (note: may be triggering)
She has committed suicide and I'm at her funeral (this is the worst one)
My life is really crap and boring
No one loves me

And of course can't sleep as a result.

:cry: :cry:

I know it's so much easier to think the negative about everything, but you've got t try not to dwell on it too much :frown: hope you manage to block it out and get some sleep at somepoint!
Reply 5309
Original post by chadders91
I know it's so much easier to think the negative about everything, but you've got t try not to dwell on it too much :frown: hope you manage to block it out and get some sleep at somepoint!

Thanks :jumphug:. I've currently stopped thinking about all of it and feel calmer. What I did: go toilet :tongue:. Although now I'm hungry :frown:, but I'm not going to go and eat, as I'm nice and calm and warm right now in my bed :smile:
Original post by avhhs
Thanks :jumphug:. I've currently stopped thinking about all of it and feel calmer. What I did: go toilet :tongue:. Although now I'm hungry :frown:, but I'm not going to go and eat, as I'm nice and calm and warm right now in my bed :smile:

Well I am glad you found something to calm you down :tongue: might be a good idea to try and get some sleep though while you are feeling better :hugs:
Reply 5311
Original post by chadders91
Well I am glad you found something to calm you down :tongue: might be a good idea to try and get some sleep though while you are feeling better :hugs:

Yeah definitely. I will try right now (assuming the neighbours aren't too noisy while having a shag :biggrin:)

And you should get some sleep too. Good night and sweet dreams :smile: :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
Yeah definitely. I will try right now (assuming the neighbours aren't too noisy while having a shag :biggrin:)

And you should get some sleep too. Good night and sweet dreams :smile: :hugs:

Well I hope they shag quietly so you can get a good nights sleep :smile: and probably should sleep too got t be in uni for 9 :frown:

Well guess who's awake at 5am crying again? :rolleyes: Got various people I need to answer on here - if I calm down a bit I'll do that later, if not then tomorrow.
^^^If it's any consolation, you're not the only one^^^ Haven't slept yet :frown:
Original post by los lobos marinos
^^^If it's any consolation, you're not the only one^^^ Haven't slept yet :frown:

:console: I find that solitaire and Sherlock Holmes help to pass the time. :cool:
Original post by superwolf
:console: I find that solitaire and Sherlock Holmes help to pass the time. :cool:
Solitaire just frustrates me - I can't win unless I cheat!!! I'm halfway through watching Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the bbc iplayer but gonna see if I can sleep as I've got an interview later. Gotta try and appear 'normal' lol and sell myself. I've perfected the 'happy mask' so should be cool.

I hope you feel better. Take care...
Original post by los lobos marinos
Solitaire just frustrates me - I can't win unless I cheat!!! I'm halfway through watching Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the bbc iplayer but gonna see if I can sleep as I've got an interview later. Gotta try and appear 'normal' lol and sell myself. I've perfected the 'happy mask' so should be cool.

I hope you feel better. Take care...

Sometimes cheating is all part of the fun. :colone: If you're enjoying Hitchhiker's Guide you should try watching Dirk Gently as well (also on iplayer) - although obviously not tonight. :tongue:

Cheers, and good luck with getting to sleep, selling yourself (I hope you're not going into slavery? :eek:) and generally acting like a normal, functioning human being.
Reply 5318
Just woke up... still feel rubbish.... this day will be one epic fail.
Argh, I thought I was ok but now I have a practical assessment on Friday and I am scared and just cannot sleep. Exhausted :frown: Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Latest