The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Webberino
Thanks, seeing him Thursday morning. Was kind of hoping it would be tomorrow as I have nothing to get me out of bed on Wednesdays since counselling finished. :tongue:
Found out there is only one more week left before easter rather than two, I doubt he works during the easter holidays so looks like our time will be rather short but at least it's something. :tongue:

Really glad it went well. :hugs:
Must have been tough with your mum finding out more, but maybe it will be able to help her respond appropriately and make sure she doesn't accidently do anything to make you feel worse.
Well done, it's great that you were able to be honest with them. :hugs:
I imagine talking to Sheldon would be fun! :tongue:
Makes sense, good luck with the psychiatrist and really hope some good things come out for this for you. :jumphug:
With regards to your other post I would imagine it's probably adrenaline racing round after your appointment. :tongue:

Feeling alright today thanks. Think hearing from mentor has cheered me up a bit. Managed to go to the library after lectures for a while, but excuse for leaving was there weren't any computers free so I couldn't check to see if mentor had replied (my excuses are so pathetic :tongue:). Lovely day, maybe I could get some more work done in the park. Being rather optimistic there :tongue:

I'm really glad it's soon, even if it is for a short amount of time.

Hopefully yeah, it's just that I know all of this upsets her. Although we both got through the appointment without crying.
It probably is, there was so much to take in. I get adrenaline rushes from psychiatric nurses, how cool am I :tongue:

That's good :hugs:
To be fair if there were no computers free there is absolutely no way to check your emails.
Aha, possibly :tongue:
Original post by superwolf
:five: It's so soothingly mindless, they ought to prescribe it on the NHS.

Completely agree .... solitaire and mahjong are the two things that help me calm down most of the time :cool:
This house is so venomous and awful. Housemate accidentally worked something out and then other housemate just came in my room to tell me to stop talking. I'm sick of this gossiping, bitter bitchy house.

I lived with boys to avoid it and now all we have is drama, gossip and pathetic hissy fits.

And I'm so sick of them invading my space when I'm not home. My animals are _my_ animals. They are in _my_ room. I'm sick of them wandering in and bringing people I've never met into my (messy) space isn't fair.

I wish I had the guts to shout all of this at them.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really glad it's soon, even if it is for a short amount of time.

Hopefully yeah, it's just that I know all of this upsets her. Although we both got through the appointment without crying.
It probably is, there was so much to take in. I get adrenaline rushes from psychiatric nurses, how cool am I :tongue:

That's good :hugs:
To be fair if there were no computers free there is absolutely no way to check your emails.
Aha, possibly :tongue:

That's impressive! I would have started crying the moment I had to speak. :tongue:
It's understandable, it's a big deal. :hugs:

I suppose :tongue:
Didn't go to the park, did do some tidying and made something ressembling a meal for dinner! :tongue:
Think I'm going to have trouble focusing on work tomorrow, going to be too excited about seeing mentor (my life is so interesting :tongue:).
Feel like crying for no apparent reason. Just went for a run and had bad urges and nearly didn't come back. I would have a bath, but a shower's probably safer for me right now.
Reply 5365
Original post by 35mm_
Feel like crying for no apparent reason. Just went for a run and had bad urges and nearly didn't come back. I would have a bath, but a shower's probably safer for me right now.

The good news is you came back... give yourself credit for that. :smile:
That's impressive! I would have started crying the moment I had to speak. :tongue:
It's understandable, it's a big deal. :hugs:

I suppose :tongue:
Didn't go to the park, did do some tidying and made something ressembling a meal for dinner! :tongue:
Think I'm going to have trouble focusing on work tomorrow, going to be too excited about seeing mentor (my life is so interesting :tongue:).

I was impressed with myself!
The ways she suggested to distract myself from self-harm have not worked. :sigh:
I always read things I don't want to read on Facebook. A few days ago there was somebody who posted a massive paragraph about how suicide is selfish and I've just read something, and I quote, "She's actually mental, she has a counsellor and everything". It shouldn't bother me but, for some reason, it does.
I've definitely dismissed any work I had to do today. A piece was supposed to be in for today but I wasn't in so I'm just hoping he won't ask for it off me.

Well done!
Do you think you might have a slight crush? :mmm:
The ways she suggested to distract myself from self-harm have not worked. :sigh:
I always read things I don't want to read on Facebook. A few days ago there was somebody who posted a massive paragraph about how suicide is selfish and I've just read something, and I quote, "She's actually mental, she has a counsellor and everything". It shouldn't bother me but, for some reason, it does.
I've definitely dismissed any work I had to do today. A piece was supposed to be in for today but I wasn't in so I'm just hoping he won't ask for it off me.

Well done!

why shouldn't it bother you? if i read that insensitive and ableist bull**** on my facebook i'd be going round people's houses and telling them what's up. no need to tolerate such prejudiced and offensive BS, whether it's about you or someone else.
this hasn't been mentioned in a while but it's really getting to me again. literally every time i come in to read this thread almost every post is about self-harm. half the time i don't even see why it had to be mentioned. i understand this thread is a vent for a lot of people but i'm not sure how helpful it is to anyone trying to stop self harming to come into this thread and read all about self harm, all the time.

actually, a hilarious side note. when i mentioned borderline personality disorder as one of the diagnoses another doctor (nurse? you never know tbh) suggested to the consultant, the consultant immediately went, "oh?", glanced at my arm (long sleeves, biatch) and asked me about self harm. dumb ****. i have no real desire to either self harm or for the most part take drugs now that my mood is stable (well, was, bit depressed again atm) and i have things to do and yet if you EVER do EITHER it's taken as part of your personality rather than as a result of hypomanic impulsivity and/or not giving a **** about the consequences (due to either end of the mood spectrum), or due to the fact that you're having trouble coping with your life because your MOOD DISORDER is ****ing it up. HELLO.

I don't understand how so many people could miss the most obvious fact which is that an illness will have effects on what you do and how you feel even when you are not directly in the grip of that illness, especially if you don't realise you're ill.

and, actually, especially wrt drugs, if you're mentally ill and happen to be a drug user, it doesn't even have to be the case that the two are always related. unless you're a psychiatrist, in which case they ALWAYS ARE!!! without exception. if you have a mental illness and have ever used drugs... well... god help you frankly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5369
Original post by littleshambles
this hasn't been mentioned in a while but it's really getting to me again. literally every time i come in to read this thread almost every post is about self-harm. half the time i don't even see why it had to be mentioned. i understand this thread is a vent for a lot of people but i'm not sure how helpful it is to anyone trying to stop self harming to come into this thread and read all about self harm, all the time.

I completely agree with this.
why shouldn't it bother you? if i read that insensitive and ableist bull**** on my facebook i'd be going round people's houses and telling them what's up. no need to tolerate such prejudiced and offensive BS, whether it's about you or someone else.

Because it wasn't even aimed at me so I don't feel like it's my place to be upset.

I think that's part of my problem tbh, I always decide that things aren't going to bother me and suppress my emotions when they do.
Original post by ViceVersa
:sadnod:

No worries. :hugs:

<3
Original post by paddy__power

<3

:h:

:heart:
Because it wasn't even aimed at me so I don't feel like it's my place to be upset.

I think that's part of my problem tbh, I always decide that things aren't going to bother me and suppress my emotions when they do.

no, such comments may not be directly aimed at you but they are indirectly aimed at anyone they could feasibly be about. for comparison, if someone calls someone who isn't you a racist name, and talks about them disparagingly in relation to their race, they're not just disparaging the person, they're disparaging implicitly everyone of that race. in the same way when people talk in such nasty ways about someone because of their mental illness, it affects everyone who suffers from it, because of it; it indirectly puts down everyone who suffers from mental illness. it's absolutely your place to be upset, and it's *their* fault for causing that upset, not your fault for being upset.

Well done!

That's a shame, maybe when you see the psychiatrist they'll have some more ideas. :console:
Can be hard to resist. It's perfectly understandable you would find that upsetting. My brother has expressed similar views before when talking about his friend's brother. It astounds me how some people can't even try to imagine how the actual person feels, but I guess people that haven't been through anything just don't get it. My counsellor actually said something along the lines of it's a learning experience and that people who have never been depressed are a bit stupid and it's sad. :mmm:
That's understandable, doubt I would be able to focus on work after something like that. Hopefully he will have forgotten about it. :hugs:

Of course not! :ninja:

Spoiler

no, such comments may not be directly aimed at you but they are indirectly aimed at anyone they could feasibly be about. for comparison, if someone calls someone who isn't you a racist name, and talks about them disparagingly in relation to their race, they're not just disparaging the person, they're disparaging implicitly everyone of that race. in the same way when people talk in such nasty ways about someone because of their mental illness, it affects everyone who suffers from it, because of it; it indirectly puts down everyone who suffers from mental illness. it's absolutely your place to be upset, and it's *their* fault for causing that upset, not your fault for being upset.

I get what you are saying but it's still partly my fault. If I wasn't so weak and get upset at every little irrelevant thing then I wouldn't be upset. I need to stop being so feeble and not let things get to me.

I think you're wrong. A lot of people in this society suffer from self harm, and that's why there's so many posts on it. I'd rather somebody post on here regarding self harm and seeked help for it rather than actually self harming. I don't know what right you think you have to say that they shouldn't be posting.
That's a shame, maybe when you see the psychiatrist they'll have some more ideas. :console:
Can be hard to resist. It's perfectly understandable you would find that upsetting. My brother has expressed similar views before when talking about his friend's brother. It astounds me how some people can't even try to imagine how the actual person feels, but I guess people that haven't been through anything just don't get it. My counsellor actually said something along the lines of it's a learning experience and that people who have never been depressed are a bit stupid and it's sad. :mmm:
That's understandable, doubt I would be able to focus on work after something like that. Hopefully he will have forgotten about it. :hugs:

Of course not! :ninja:

Spoiler

They could do, yeah. Although I have not exhausted the dance to ABBA option yet. :tongue:
I suppose so, I think it's ignorance on the most part.
Hopefully he will have but if he hasn't it won't be earth shatteringly bad.

Spoiler

I think you're wrong. A lot of people in this society suffer from self harm, and that's why there's so many posts on it. I'd rather somebody post on here regarding self harm and seeked help for it rather than actually self harming. I don't know what right you think you have to say that they shouldn't be posting.

Reading about self harm every day can be extremely triggering and with the delicate nature of this group, it's not good to be reminded of its existence.

There's plenty of forums designed as an outlet for self harmers (NSHN is a personal favourite) so we're not saying 'don't talk about it'. Just don't talk about it here so much. I completely agree that we should support each other but it's not fair that a large number of us are self harmers/recovering self harmers bump into this information on a day-to-day basis while after a bit of general support or conversation.

I know that today I've been triggered (and fortunately have managed to get through those feelings) by a couple of posts and have had to avoid reading the thread. And this is from somebody who is 'recovered'. It's unfortunate that the one place I want to post to when I'm really upset is a place I have to avoid.
They could do, yeah. Although I have not exhausted the dance to ABBA option yet. :tongue:
I suppose so, I think it's ignorance on the most part.
Hopefully he will have but if he hasn't it won't be earth shatteringly bad.

Spoiler

:lol: I wonder how they come up with this stuff. :mmm:
Yeah I think it is, wouldn't hurt people to try to put themselves in someone else's shoes before judging them.
That's good then. :hugs:

Spoiler

Latest