The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Finished my entry for the Easter baking competition. :biggrin: KMN: the game is on. :mwuaha:

Original post by 35mm_
Voices are really bad this evening:sigh: struggling a bit...

I've had a crap weekend with my family. My mum dragged me to my nans where my whole family were, and some of them were asking where I had been as they hadn't seen me for two years, and my mom says "she's been at university". It's like she's ashamed of me, and ashamed of admitting that I am actually ill so she's in denial instead. I am sick of pretending that I am happy to please others. I am sick of pretending I can cope. If I tell my mum that I'm struggling she tells me to stop being silly and that "there's nothing wrong with you".

I am, however, thoroughly looking forward to next week. I have a feeling it's going to be good :smile:

:jumphug: Wish I could help make things less crappy for you... I think Saber's given you some pretty good advice there, and remember that you shouldn't be ashamed of having been in hospital or being mentally ill (last year I told a restaurant full of my Russian coursemates that I'd been in mental hospital, and it was ****ing priceless. It's actually really liberating just being honest and not pretending stuff to people. You'll inevitably get some people who won't want to know you because of it, but you've got to weed out the numskulls somehow :tongue:).

Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: Does anything help with the voices? I find listening to my favorite music loud as hell and singing along helps to overpower them, have you tried that? Or what works best for me is talking to people, over skype or in person or the phone or anything, it really helps me.

When I was in hospital my mum told every single relative where I was, I could've killed her for it. :mad: But you shouldn't hide things if you don't want to, if you want to be honest and break down some of the stigma that's great you should do that. It sounds like your mum isn't particularly supportive, or perhaps she's just in denial. Have you tried getting a doctor to speak to her? Perhaps that might help.

You got skype working?
Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: Does anything help with the voices? I find listening to my favorite music loud as hell and singing along helps to overpower them, have you tried that? Or what works best for me is talking to people, over skype or in person or the phone or anything, it really helps me.

When I was in hospital my mum told every single relative where I was, I could've killed her for it. :mad: But you shouldn't hide things if you don't want to, if you want to be honest and break down some of the stigma that's great you should do that. It sounds like your mum isn't particularly supportive, or perhaps she's just in denial. Have you tried getting a doctor to speak to her? Perhaps that might help.

Thanks. Music helps a little. So does skyping people. My mum refuses to speak to any professionals. Even though I was in a mental hospital for two years there's still (apparently) nothing wrong with me :rolleyes:
Original post by superwolf
Finished my entry for the Easter baking competition. :biggrin: KMN: the game is on. :mwuaha:

Oh wow, they look delicious. Well done!

Are you going to hand them out? :drool:
You got skype working?

Nope, it was an example. :tongue:

Your competition entry looks delicious....*drool* Good luck.

Original post by 35mm_
Thanks. Music helps a little. So does skyping people. My mum refuses to speak to any professionals. Even though I was in a mental hospital for two years there's still (apparently) nothing wrong with me :rolleyes:

Hmm, that sucks. :console: Have you thought about maybe trying to have a chat with her about it, reading up about what's wrong first so you can inform her? Or get her leaflets and leave them lying around.

Although I guess if she's that stubborn nothing is gonna help which really sucks.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to not have the support of your mother but stay strong and don't believe her, sometimes parents really don't know best.
(edited 12 years ago)
:frown: :frown: I've just had enough of this :frown: :frown:
Reply 6365
Been reading over the last few pages and sending massive :hugs: to everybody.

Touch wood I'm still doing ok at the moment, although I'm about to go to a Social Event. :afraid:
Think the most nerve-wracking part will be the half hour walk through town to get there. :rolleyes:
Original post by Anonymous
It could be, I didn't think about it like that, thanks. :hugs:
Over the last few days I've started feeling guilty when I'm hungry and trying to ignore it. I don't feel that guilty when I eat so I can't understand why I feel guilty for being hungry. For the first time in my life I woke up feeling hungry this morning. Probably doesn't help that I'm substituting food for cups of tea either, must stop that.

Aren't minds annoying things! Hope that feeling doesn't last. :hugs:
My brother and his girlfriend are over for dinner, don't know whether to get on with some work or go downstairs and be sociable. One question in two days is not a good start. :sigh:
Hey guys,

I'll try to make this kind of brief...I was diagnosed with OCD about a year and a half ago - mainly Obsessions. I had CBT and a really great therapist who helped me get over my OCD - pretty much completely. I am so amazed I've been helped to such an extent, and really grateful for the therapist I had.
Throughout this OCD, I had a persistent low mood, which was not the main priority of treatment. I went to university in 2011 after 2 gap years, and I did not have time to focus CBT on my depression which was a bit of a bummer.
Anyway, I was really nervous about uni as everyone is - but it is great - I have a good house, my course is OK, I did well in exams etc - everything is going in my favour.

I have always hidden my low moods and depression to the extent where even my best friends would think I was joking if I said 'I have depression...' I am always the lofe and soul of the party, always cracking jokes and being funny (so I'm told - sounds quite arrogant typing that...!)
However, during December, my depression was really bad, revising for exams was a real struggle and I was constantly worrying about everything and anything.

This depression led me to visit my GP during the Christmas break from uni and he recommended I start a course of anti-depressants - I was initially put on 50mg Sertraline and got near enough every side effect - low appetite, insomnia, inability to maintain an erection and difficulty reaching orgasm, headaches, sweats etc etc. I knew what to expect and was OK with these side effects as long as after a few weeks I noticed a difference in mood.
It took around 4-5 weeks for my mood to lift which was great - because the drug has to accumulate in your system, it seems like a long and lengthy process and in my particular case, I was sat down and just thought..."hey... I actually feel quite OK, and have done for a few days now!"
This lasted for around 2 weeks which was good. Then I noticed my mood beginning to decline to it's previous depressive state. I went back to my uni GP and he suggested doubling the dose to 100mg Sertraline.
So I've been on 100mg for approximately 2-3 weeks now, again, I experienced all the side effects and still have trouble reaching orgasm and maintaining an erection.

I'm at home for Easter and I feel really low and down now and just don't know what to do with myself. The weather is good and I should be outside having a nice time, but I just don't feel like it... I'm not at the stage of suicidal ideation which I have never felt before, but I just feel hopeless, low, down and yup, DEPRESSED.

:frown:

Sorry for the long post...
Original post by Anonymous
Oh wow, they look delicious. Well done!

Are you going to hand them out? :drool:

Nah, I'm gonna trade them with my sister's friend for a free haircut. :lol:

Original post by ViceVersa
:frown: :frown: I've just had enough of this :frown: :frown:

:jumphug: It does get better, honest.

Original post by Nut.
Been reading over the last few pages and sending massive :hugs: to everybody.

Touch wood I'm still doing ok at the moment, although I'm about to go to a Social Event. :afraid:
Think the most nerve-wracking part will be the half hour walk through town to get there. :rolleyes:

Ooh, social! Have fun, and be sure and play nice with the other children.
:jumphug: It does get better, honest.

I really hope you're right.

Yours look so cute and awesome (your entry)!
(edited 12 years ago)
Entered myself into the competition like Superwolf did :colondollar: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952472&page=6&p=36962121#post36962121 xx

It was a good distraction while it lasted, left with my thoughts now..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
Entered myself into the competition like Superwolf did :colondollar: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952472&page=6&p=36962121#post36962121 xx

That looks amazing! I'm sure it was very yummy :biggrin:

I hope you're okay xx
Original post by Webberino
Aren't minds annoying things! Hope that feeling doesn't last. :hugs:
My brother and his girlfriend are over for dinner, don't know whether to get on with some work or go downstairs and be sociable. One question in two days is not a good start. :sigh:

They are indeed! Thanks :hugs:

Perhaps go downstairs for a bit then edge your way upstairs to do some? Or take it to your mum's caravan with you. Although it probably do you good to go away and not think about uni for a few days.

Nah, I'm gonna trade them with my sister's friend for a free haircut. :lol:

B-but they look so tasty... :sigh:
Original post by avhhs
Yeah I understand completely, especially the last bit :hugs:. Sometimes when I see couples I have to try hard to not stare :colondollar:

I'm still having fun. Have to go to a family gathering in a bit. Looking forward to it :smile:.

:console: I used to get them all the time too, although recently it just seems mostly limited to panic attacks. Do hope you manage to get your work done :smile:.

Got an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow :frown:.

:hugs:

Haha yer I know what you mean I am the same some times :colondollar: does always make me sad seeing happy couples though, think my bf could probably have something like that if he wasn't with someone like me!

But good I am glad you are having fun still :smile: still failing miserably at getting work done :frown: take it you have steered clear of poking random girls today as well?

hope the appointment goes alright tomorrow huni :hugs:
Original post by FuzzySheep
That looks amazing! I'm sure it was very yummy :biggrin:

I hope you're okay xx

Thank you! Yes it was quite nice :smile:

I hope you are too xx
Reply 6375
I AM SO ANGRY AND UPSET RIGHT NOW THAT I'M SHAKING. Why, why, why, why, why do gps think it's ok to not explain that there might be side effects of SSRIs that last FOREVER when they throw them at you like sweeties?????????????????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So I'm talking about PSSD (Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) and in some cases this thing can be permanent! No/weak orgasms, no/weak sex drive, nadda. forever-more-and-a-day.

I've been off fluoxetine for a few weeks and this is still the case and I'm seriously hoping this isn't long term because I want so badly to feel NORMAL again, and this means everything being as it was before :frown: :banghead::cry2:

So anyone thinking about taking them just be warned, yes they made me feel better, but this was at far, far too great a cost for me. I wish I had had access to good advice/other treatments and not felt like pills were the best option because that was what I was told by the ****ing doctor. I wish I could go back in time, but the damage could already be done :frown:
superwolf
x

Thanks again.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
I may as well post something in this thread if I'm following it.
I'm Dan, and I've been depressed on and off for the past four years to varying degrees (although suicidal and homicidal ideation has been kinda regular for the past two years).
I looked for help like..........two years ago. After that I started CBT for a few months - it didn't help at all :tongue:.
I've never had drug therapy, but I'm not sure I want to give it a shot; I'm stubborn for holding the view that I can help myself function adequately as a person.
I can function adequately but not optimally - this is something that's slowly convincing me to get help again (sometimes I cope well from helping myself, other times I'm ****ing awful). I'm still not sure yet, however.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SeaJay
I AM SO ANGRY AND UPSET RIGHT NOW THAT I'M SHAKING. Why, why, why, why, why do gps think it's ok to not explain that there might be side effects of SSRIs that last FOREVER when they throw them at you like sweeties?????????????????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So I'm talking about PSSD (Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) and in some cases this thing can be permanent! No/weak orgasms, no/weak sex drive, nadda. forever-more-and-a-day.

I've been off fluoxetine for a few weeks and this is still the case and I'm seriously hoping this isn't long term because I want so badly to feel NORMAL again, and this means everything being as it was before :frown: :banghead::cry2:

So anyone thinking about taking them just be warned, yes they made me feel better, but this was at far, far too great a cost for me. I wish I had had access to good advice/other treatments and not felt like pills were the best option because that was what I was told by the ****ing doctor. I wish I could go back in time, but the damage could already be done :frown:

I had this and it lasted for quite a few weeks after I stopped taking whatever it was. Also: the more frustrated you get, the harder it is so stop worrying for a while and just 'let it happen'. If it happens then yay, if not then there's always next time.

If it's still a bit faulty after a couple of months then go to your GP.

Detoxing from mirt like a pro. Day 4 and I haven't yet vomited :macarena:

Latest