The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Boom. My world is collapsing. And I only just decided to stop taking medication. Lol.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
After seeing yours, Antiaris and ViceVersa's entries I'm not so confident any more :eek:

:blushing:

:blush:

:colondollar:
Original post by ViceVersa
I know what you mean, it is unfair. I've been thinking there's really not much justice in the world :frown:

Big hugs :hugs:

I'm trying :sadnod: I'll try my best..

You've been strong before, you can most certainly fight it again. If you need anything at all, you know where I am. :hugs:

P.S: I keep looking at yours and Superwolf's cakes on the Easter thread, very jealous of both your baking skills. :coma:
Original post by FuzzySheep
You've been strong before, you can most certainly fight it again. If you need anything at all, you know where I am. :hugs:

P.S: I keep looking at yours and Superwolf's cakes on the Easter thread, very jealous of both your baking skills. :coma:

I hope I can, and thank you :hugs:

P.s. Haha I'm no where near as good enough as some of the others, but thanks! It was a good distraction and it turned out alright! :biggrin:
Reply 6404
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Boom. My world is collapsing. And I only just decided to stop taking medication. Lol.

Sorry to hear things aren't great for you right now. Want to talk about it?
Hi guys and gals. I went to my doctors a week ago or so now, after realising that my moods are not quite normal. He signed me off work for 2 weeks and has given me 10 days sleeping tablets. I've been doing better this week, but I fall apart under stress, such as people changing plans, not letting me know if they've arrived safe or turning up late. Also getting unnerved by people around town. My last tablet is tonight, so ill be going back to the doctor's on Tuesday after a night sans help... My other half tries to help, but he just doesn't quite understand how my head is (or isnt) working...
Original post by avhhs
:console: I'm sure your boyfriend loves you more than anything :smile:

My mood is just about OK. And yes, I didn't poke any girls! When is your work due in? I hope it all gets finished :smile: :hugs:

Thanks :smile:. Really do hope my appointment goes well, and doesn't cause my mood to crash.

The last day of the "6 months free internet" on my phone was on Thursday, but I only found out today, after using £3 (although I used more recently on texts :biggrin:). Now my credit is almost finished.

:hugs:

Work isn't due in for another 2 weeks, but got loads of work due in then because it is when I finish university :redface: scary times! Hopefully will finish it sometime, my mum has been helping me with it!

I hope you're appointment goes well to hun :smile: my last one with the GP was way better then the others, so hope your appointment is as positive as mine!

That is **** though hun, the using your credit thing, I have done that sooo many times! On contract now but constantly go over the minutes usage :/

Hope you are alright!!

And sorry my memory is absolutely shocking ... :colondollar: finally done it now though!
Original post by miser
Sorry to hear things aren't great for you right now. Want to talk about it?

Would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.
Original post by Jaee
Got an appointment tomorrow to see my GP but the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that I'm not depressed or any more anxious than the average person. Argh.

If you were willing to make an appointment, it might be worth going just to have a chat. It's not like going will sign you up to a life time of drugs, so don't worry about it. I hope things work out for you :smile:
hi i am posting here for the first time
i dont know whether i am depressed or not
but it feels like it
i dont have any friends at all... there are only 2 people i can actually call friends who i meet once in 6 months due to them being busy and having other friends who are closer than me
i havent had any friends since the past 5 yrs and every night i have cried and i have tried to commit suicide a few times and have failed ... but i really dont want to do that i feel like being happy nd being like other people
i used to be really popular before these 5 yrs had loads of friends becuz i lived in a diff country and had them all on fb and whenever they posted their pics i felt jealous somehow because i wanted to be able to do all the things they did and missed old times and stuff i had a breakup with my longterm bf as well which made things even worse
the worst part is i broke up with him because me being depressed was making life harder for him... i just feel like theres no end to suffering at all and it feels like i cant be happy anywhere .. i just wish everything could btter and dont know what todo

i am about to start uni in sept and i am scared to go to the docs in case my uni gets to know and stuff

PS sorry for the long post all of this just kinda came out
Reply 6410
Original post by Phoenix07
Work isn't due in for another 2 weeks, but got loads of work due in then because it is when I finish university :redface: scary times! Hopefully will finish it sometime, my mum has been helping me with it!

I hope you're appointment goes well to hun :smile: my last one with the GP was way better then the others, so hope your appointment is as positive as mine!

That is **** though hun, the using your credit thing, I have done that sooo many times! On contract now but constantly go over the minutes usage :/

Hope you are alright!!

And sorry my memory is absolutely shocking ... :colondollar: finally done it now though!

Good to hear that it is being done :smile:. And congratulations on finishing university!

Yeah hope so. Especially as my mood is only just about OK.

Oh dear :tongue:. Must cost quite a fair bit.

Really don't think my good mood will last long. The strain of the last two days has done it :sadnod:

And don't worry. My memory is even worse sometimes :biggrin:.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
hi i am posting here for the first time
i dont know whether i am depressed or not
but it feels like it
i dont have any friends at all... there are only 2 people i can actually call friends who i meet once in 6 months due to them being busy and having other friends who are closer than me
i havent had any friends since the past 5 yrs and every night i have cried and i have tried to commit suicide a few times and have failed ... but i really dont want to do that i feel like being happy nd being like other people
i used to be really popular before these 5 yrs had loads of friends becuz i lived in a diff country and had them all on fb and whenever they posted their pics i felt jealous somehow because i wanted to be able to do all the things they did and missed old times and stuff i had a breakup with my longterm bf as well which made things even worse
the worst part is i broke up with him because me being depressed was making life harder for him... i just feel like theres no end to suffering at all and it feels like i cant be happy anywhere .. i just wish everything could btter and dont know what todo

i am about to start uni in sept and i am scared to go to the docs in case my uni gets to know and stuff

PS sorry for the long post all of this just kinda came out

I just want to say that going to the doctor will have no impact on your uni - when I put down on my UCAS I had depression, all I've gotten from the unis I applied to is ways that they can support me and things I might be able to take advantage of. No university will look down on you for going to the doctor and getting help, which seems like what would really help you :hugs: I know it's tough, but it's the first step towards making a change, when I asked for help it felt like a weight off and I'm now getting the help I need. So please don't worry about who or what might be affected, because in reality everyone is a lot more supportive than you think. :hugs:
Original post by avhhs
Good to hear that it is being done :smile:. And congratulations on finishing university!

Yeah hope so. Especially as my mood is only just about OK.

Oh dear :tongue:. Must cost quite a fair bit.

Really don't think my good mood will last long. The strain of the last two days has done it :sadnod:

And don't worry. My memory is even worse sometimes :biggrin:.

Thanks :smile: can't wait to finally finish now, although the thought of actually having to do something proper when I finish is quite scary!

Phone contract isn't to bad really, only about £20 a month so could be a lot worse really!

But thats **** hun :frown: hope your mood doesn't drop to much, its been nice to see you being a bit happier! thought you enjoyed the past couple of days?

And god my memory does shock me sometimes, it impresses me that I can get through the day :tongue: but I have done it now :tongue:

I just want to say that going to the doctor will have no impact on your uni - when I put down on my UCAS I had depression, all I've gotten from the unis I applied to is ways that they can support me and things I might be able to take advantage of. No university will look down on you for going to the doctor and getting help, which seems like what would really help you :hugs: I know it's tough, but it's the first step towards making a change, when I asked for help it felt like a weight off and I'm now getting the help I need. So please don't worry about who or what might be affected, because in reality everyone is a lot more supportive than you think. :hugs:

the thing is my mum tends to go with me to the doc if i need to go... and i cnt express myself infront of the doc that way which is why i have been avoiding it
the thing is my mum tends to go with me to the doc if i need to go... and i cnt express myself infront of the doc that way which is why i have been avoiding it

Well if you're 16 and over, you don't have to have your mum there unless you want to. Maybe if you write down how you feel on some paper and pass on the note to your doctor when you're there, if you don't feel you can express yourself properly? I think the most important thing, for both you and your doctor, is that you let them know how you've been feeling, no matter how you do it, so you can start getting the support you deserve.
Well if you're 16 and over, you don't have to have your mum there unless you want to. Maybe if you write down how you feel on some paper and pass on the note to your doctor when you're there, if you don't feel you can express yourself properly? I think the most important thing, for both you and your doctor, is that you let them know how you've been feeling, no matter how you do it, so you can start getting the support you deserve.

can things really get better i mean sometimes im so upset i just wnt to harm myself i know its rong but true then theres times when i feel like living...
Hey guys,

I'll try to make this kind of brief...I was diagnosed with OCD about a year and a half ago - mainly Obsessions. I had CBT and a really great therapist who helped me get over my OCD - pretty much completely. I am so amazed I've been helped to such an extent, and really grateful for the therapist I had.
Throughout this OCD, I had a persistent low mood, which was not the main priority of treatment. I went to university in 2011 after 2 gap years, and I did not have time to focus CBT on my depression which was a bit of a bummer.
Anyway, I was really nervous about uni as everyone is - but it is great - I have a good house, my course is OK, I did well in exams etc - everything is going in my favour.

I have always hidden my low moods and depression to the extent where even my best friends would think I was joking if I said 'I have depression...' I am always the lofe and soul of the party, always cracking jokes and being funny (so I'm told - sounds quite arrogant typing that...!)
However, during December, my depression was really bad, revising for exams was a real struggle and I was constantly worrying about everything and anything.

This depression led me to visit my GP during the Christmas break from uni and he recommended I start a course of anti-depressants - I was initially put on 50mg Sertraline and got near enough every side effect - low appetite, insomnia, inability to maintain an erection and difficulty reaching orgasm, headaches, sweats etc etc. I knew what to expect and was OK with these side effects as long as after a few weeks I noticed a difference in mood.
It took around 4-5 weeks for my mood to lift which was great - because the drug has to accumulate in your system, it seems like a long and lengthy process and in my particular case, I was sat down and just thought..."hey... I actually feel quite OK, and have done for a few days now!"
This lasted for around 2 weeks which was good. Then I noticed my mood beginning to decline to it's previous depressive state. I went back to my uni GP and he suggested doubling the dose to 100mg Sertraline.
So I've been on 100mg for approximately 2-3 weeks now, again, I experienced all the side effects and still have trouble reaching orgasm and maintaining an erection.

I'm at home for Easter and I feel really low and down now and just don't know what to do with myself. The weather is good and I should be outside having a nice time, but I just don't feel like it... I'm not at the stage of suicidal ideation which I have never felt before, but I just feel hopeless, low, down and yup, DEPRESSED.

:frown:

Sorry for the long post...

:console: Sorry to hear that you've been feeling down for so long. But I have to say it's really great that CBT worked so well for your OCD - you must have really worked hard at it. Would your doctor be willing to refer you again for depression this time? Would definitely seem worth a try to me. You could also look into self-help CBT books focussing specifically on depression - maybe a more advanced book would be good, since you already have a background in it.

Got to hate side-effects (I lasted the whole of three days on sertraline :colondollar:), but keep in mind that they are likely to disappear again. If the increased dose doesn't help, or stops helping again, your doctor might want to consider adding in another drug which boosts the effects of the antidepressant (I've had this done with other drugs, although not sertraline).

Hope you feel better again soon. :hugs:

B-but they look so tasty... :sigh:

Hands off! :eviltongue: This wolf needs its fur trimmed.

Original post by SeaJay
I AM SO ANGRY AND UPSET RIGHT NOW THAT I'M SHAKING. Why, why, why, why, why do gps think it's ok to not explain that there might be side effects of SSRIs that last FOREVER when they throw them at you like sweeties?????????????????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So I'm talking about PSSD (Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction) and in some cases this thing can be permanent! No/weak orgasms, no/weak sex drive, nadda. forever-more-and-a-day.

I've been off fluoxetine for a few weeks and this is still the case and I'm seriously hoping this isn't long term because I want so badly to feel NORMAL again, and this means everything being as it was before :frown: :banghead::cry2:

So anyone thinking about taking them just be warned, yes they made me feel better, but this was at far, far too great a cost for me. I wish I had had access to good advice/other treatments and not felt like pills were the best option because that was what I was told by the ****ing doctor. I wish I could go back in time, but the damage could already be done :frown:

:hugs: I know how you feel sort of - got a tremor in my hands from olanzapine that might be sticking around (but can still get my rocks off thank ****). They don't tend to spell out all the risks unless if you ask them - these days I always do a bit of research before going on anything.

It's still really early to start thinking it might be permanent though - a few weeks isn't enough to tell yet, plus also sexual dysfunction can be a sign of depression, so it's not always clear what's causing it.

Original post by 35mm_
Thanks again.

:penguinhug:

Original post by danadd9
I may as well post something in this thread if I'm following it.
I'm Dan, and I've been depressed on and off for the past four years to varying degrees (although suicidal and homicidal ideation has been kinda regular for the past two years).
I looked for help like..........two years ago. After that I started CBT for a few months - it didn't help at all :tongue:.
I've never had drug therapy, but I'm not sure I want to give it a shot; I'm stubborn for holding the view that I can help myself function adequately as a person.
I can function adequately but not optimally - this is something that's slowly convincing me to get help again (sometimes I cope well from helping myself, other times I'm ****ing awful). I'm still not sure yet, however.

Hey Dan. :smile:

Stick at the whole getting help thing - I might not be the most positive example, but: I've been depressed on and off for seven or so years, gone through some extremely bad times cos of depression, tried a silly number of drugs and a little bit of therapy, and most of them did **** all. But some of them did work, and gave me some periods where I was really happy. And trying sure as **** beats just letting depression overcome you.

To war, comrades! :lockstock:

:cry: i'm so faulty and I keep ruining things because of my stupid idiot brain making me think stupid things

:nah: I happen to know that my marzipan bunnies think you're all intelligent and cool and stuff. :cool:

Original post by twinlensreflex
I'm kinda apprehensive about posting here, it'd mean admitting I do get depression-y O.o

Hey, welcome. :smile:

It's a hard thing to admit, but once you've done that it means you can move on to trying to get better.

Original post by tweedletallie
First time posting to this thread, scary!

So I'm making an appointment to see my GP tomorrow. I only realised I was probably depressed when a few friends were talking about their experiences and I realised that the way I thought about things and behaved was not normal at all. I'm kind of terrified to get an 'official diagnosis'. Doctors scare me anyway, so this is going to be a wonderfully horrifying appointment but I definitely need to get things sorted out.

Quick question, do you have to tell your college about depression or mental health issues like that?

Hope the appointment goes well for you, and isn't too scary.

Like has been said, you don't have to tell them but it could work in your favour if you do. And you can make it clear that you want anything you tell them to be strictly confidential.

Original post by Jaee
Got an appointment tomorrow to see my GP but the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that I'm not depressed or any more anxious than the average person. Argh.

Good luck to you too. :smile:

Original post by kiss_me_now9
After seeing yours, Antiaris and ViceVersa's entries I'm not so confident any more :eek: Did you make the marzipan decorations all yourself?! That's amazing :biggrin:

On a very unrelated note, today has been both amazingly good fun (I forgot how funny restaurants are when I'm with my sister :smile:) and equally incredibly triggering. Hidden it behind a spoiler...

Spoiler

Yep. Hand-painted, hand-squidged into shape, all done by the incredibly talented me. You should enter too, I had loads of fun making mines.

Spoiler

Original post by Sephrenia
Hi guys and gals. I went to my doctors a week ago or so now, after realising that my moods are not quite normal. He signed me off work for 2 weeks and has given me 10 days sleeping tablets. I've been doing better this week, but I fall apart under stress, such as people changing plans, not letting me know if they've arrived safe or turning up late. Also getting unnerved by people around town. My last tablet is tonight, so ill be going back to the doctor's on Tuesday after a night sans help... My other half tries to help, but he just doesn't quite understand how my head is (or isnt) working...

Hi, welcome to the society. :smile:

Stress can really mess me up too, especially when I'm already feeling a bit wobbly. Next time I see my doctor I'm planning on asking for some kind of therapy to help me counteract this (tried CBT for that already, but unfortunately it wasn't for me). You could try doing that too, or asking if they know about any organisations who run anti-stress workshops (I think some GP surgeries and charities do them, plus unis and stuff). Hope you find something that works for you.
Reply 6417
Original post by Phoenix07
Thanks :smile: can't wait to finally finish now, although the thought of actually having to do something proper when I finish is quite scary!

Phone contract isn't to bad really, only about £20 a month so could be a lot worse really!

But thats **** hun :frown: hope your mood doesn't drop to much, its been nice to see you being a bit happier! thought you enjoyed the past couple of days?

And god my memory does shock me sometimes, it impresses me that I can get through the day :tongue: but I have done it now :tongue:

No one likes change :hugs:

True. But going over the limits is the expensive problem :tongue:.

I did enjoy them. But its just the small things, especially the bad sides of my family (e. g. my brother making sure he doesn't listen to anyone, my dad always seeing the rest of the family as inferior) that has caused problems for me. I can have a lot of fun if the circumstances are right.

Lol. The worst thing is putting something down and forgetting where you put it! :tongue:

I may be going to sleep now. So good night and sweet dreams :hugs:.
(edited 12 years ago)
can things really get better i mean sometimes im so upset i just wnt to harm myself i know its rong but true then theres times when i feel like living...

Things can ALWAYS get better, I promise you that :hugs: The first step to fighting how you feel is to ask for the help you deserve to get through this, which you will be able to. I have been in your position, and things might not be perfect today, but they're a lot better than they were before. I don't know how old you are or anything, but you've got lots to look forward to in your future, I'm sure, so focus on that and all the things you want to do. I know it's hard, but this thread's been pretty awesome for me so keep posting here all you like. But make that appointment when you can, it really will be a weight off, promise. Best of luck :hugs:
Things can ALWAYS get better, I promise you that :hugs: The first step to fighting how you feel is to ask for the help you deserve to get through this, which you will be able to. I have been in your position, and things might not be perfect today, but they're a lot better than they were before. I don't know how old you are or anything, but you've got lots to look forward to in your future, I'm sure, so focus on that and all the things you want to do. I know it's hard, but this thread's been pretty awesome for me so keep posting here all you like. But make that appointment when you can, it really will be a weight off, promise. Best of luck :hugs:

thank you i will make that appointment i have been following this thread and i hve been thinking since the past few weeks im just trying to gather the courage to be able to make tht appt

Latest