The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superwolf
:nah: I happen to know that my marzipan bunnies think you're all intelligent and cool and stuff. :cool:

Haha :hugs: Your marzipan bunnies are adorable and amazing and yummylooking, I wish I could bake half as well as you :colondollar:

I hope you've been okay? :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
thank you i will make that appointment i have been following this thread and i hve been thinking since the past few weeks im just trying to gather the courage to be able to make tht appt

Well we're all here to support you :hugs: It takes a lot of courage to tell your doctor so I know why it's so scary, but I know you can do it :hugs: Feel free to PM me for anything at all if you like, I'm quite nocturnal and am happy to listen :smile:
Original post by FuzzySheep
Well we're all here to support you :hugs: It takes a lot of courage to tell your doctor so I know why it's so scary, but I know you can do it :hugs: Feel free to PM me for anything at all if you like, I'm quite nocturnal and am happy to listen :smile:

Thank you
thanks for understanding
hi can someone tell me if this is normal

it was around the end of last year where I became seriously depressed for a couple of weeks, and since then it's been up and down (sleeping pills, and an anti-depressant because it helps with sleep too, but I think my gp gave it to me for sleep and hopefully it would help with the depression, but he put me on this quite soonish) which didn't do much

Since then it has literally been like a roller coaster. One minute I can be fine, and literally the next I will be extremely low, and then a few hours after this I will be fine again. I don't know if this is still depression because it comes and goes so quick (although when it started last year it was constant for a week or 2). And I feel bad/guilty for feeling good, but when I properly feel depressed again it's almost like a relief that I wasn't making it up, but then I go back to normal and feel guilty again. I have also been on a different AD since the beginning of this year

is this normal?
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha :hugs: Your marzipan bunnies are adorable and amazing and yummylooking, I wish I could bake half as well as you :colondollar:

I hope you've been okay? :hugs:

Judging from the mutant reject bunnies I had to eat while making them all, the ones that made it onto the cakes should be pretty good too. :yep:

You don't actually need that much skill to do something like my entry - just one hell of a lot of time on your hands. :tongue:

I'm good, yeah. Random lift of depression is now coming in at just over a week, so just taking my time enjoying myself and not rocking the boat. Hope you get some good times soon too. :hugs:
Judging from the mutant reject bunnies I had to eat while making them all, the ones that made it onto the cakes should be pretty good too. :yep:

You don't actually need that much skill to do something like my entry - just one hell of a lot of time on your hands. :tongue:

I'm good, yeah. Random lift of depression is now coming in at just over a week, so just taking my time enjoying myself and not rocking the boat. Hope you get some good times soon too. :hugs:

Mmmm, mutant reject bunnies :coma: Have you not had one of your own cakes yet?! Well I suppose they are too pretty to eat :tongue: Seeing as I've got some time off and I feel quite bake-y, I might make something myself soon!

That sounds good to me, I'm glad you're doing well, I hope it stays like that :smile: Thank you, I appreciate that. I had been surprisingly okay until about Friday and then things wents fugsaiofbnanf :colondollar: But yeah, I'm glad I've got the time off.

I've just realised the meet is next week! I'm quite excited :smile:
spent all weekend feeling pathetic cause I chickened out of going to town on Friday :frown:

I'm good, yeah. Random lift of depression is now coming in at just over a week, so just taking my time enjoying myself and not rocking the boat. :

Random lift of depression? Utter rubbish, I know what you're like.

You just decided to give it to me instead, is what happened.

:tongue:
Reply 6428
Original post by SciFiBoy
spent all weekend feeling pathetic cause I chickened out of going to town on Friday :frown:

Hey mate! Hope you're doing ok since last time we spoke. Forget about friday, can go out next time. No good to hold it against yourself. :biggrin:
Original post by miser
Hey mate! Hope you're doing ok since last time we spoke. Forget about friday, can go out next time. No good to hold it against yourself. :biggrin:

been okay thanks, how are you? :smile:

true, just annoys me cause I really should have gone and I regret not doing so!
Reply 6430
Original post by SciFiBoy
been okay thanks, how are you? :smile:

true, just annoys me cause I really should have gone and I regret not doing so!

Good thanks. Nice also to see depression soc is still doing well. :smile:
Early morning to Guys hospital and I really don't wanna go :sad:
Original post by laut_biru
Random lift of depression? Utter rubbish, I know what you're like.

You just decided to give it to me instead, is what happened.

:tongue:

Whoopie. This is a nice surprise!

:smile:
Reply 6433
I think I have spent over 24 of the last 48 hours asleep. I enjoyed my first week of work, but it really took it out of me. Trouble is the sleeping lots and being tired has triggered my normal worrying about if the depression coming back.

Trying hard to be logical about this right now - I have gone from not doing much with my days (a bit of voluntary stuff once or twice a week) to having worked 25 hours this week, new job, new place, new people and lots and lots of stuff to learn - that would make most people tired.

On the plus side my boss has been very positive and encouraging and seems pleased with my progress this week which has given my self confidence a little boost. This week I am doing my contracted hours so will be at work a lot less so hopefully I should be more awake next weekend.

Hope everyone here is doing ok and that you all have a good week.
I've tried finding your post but I can't find it/keep missing it. If you link me to it, I will reply, I hope you're okay :hugs:

Hey :smile: post 6545 x
My work is totally kicking my ass right now. Trying to explain my own achievements is really really hard. Gah.

Can't wait for next week to meet you wonderful people :biggrin:
:console: Sorry to hear that you've been feeling down for so long. But I have to say it's really great that CBT worked so well for your OCD - you must have really worked hard at it. Would your doctor be willing to refer you again for depression this time? Would definitely seem worth a try to me. You could also look into self-help CBT books focussing specifically on depression - maybe a more advanced book would be good, since you already have a background in it.

Got to hate side-effects (I lasted the whole of three days on sertraline :colondollar:), but keep in mind that they are likely to disappear again. If the increased dose doesn't help, or stops helping again, your doctor might want to consider adding in another drug which boosts the effects of the antidepressant (I've had this done with other drugs, although not sertraline).

Hope you feel better again soon. :hugs:

Hands off! :eviltongue: This wolf needs its fur trimmed.

:hugs: I know how you feel sort of - got a tremor in my hands from olanzapine that might be sticking around (but can still get my rocks off thank ****). They don't tend to spell out all the risks unless if you ask them - these days I always do a bit of research before going on anything.

It's still really early to start thinking it might be permanent though - a few weeks isn't enough to tell yet, plus also sexual dysfunction can be a sign of depression, so it's not always clear what's causing it.

:penguinhug:

Hey Dan. :smile:

Stick at the whole getting help thing - I might not be the most positive example, but: I've been depressed on and off for seven or so years, gone through some extremely bad times cos of depression, tried a silly number of drugs and a little bit of therapy, and most of them did **** all. But some of them did work, and gave me some periods where I was really happy. And trying sure as **** beats just letting depression overcome you.

To war, comrades! :lockstock:

:nah: I happen to know that my marzipan bunnies think you're all intelligent and cool and stuff. :cool:

Hey, welcome. :smile:

It's a hard thing to admit, but once you've done that it means you can move on to trying to get better.

Hope the appointment goes well for you, and isn't too scary.

Like has been said, you don't have to tell them but it could work in your favour if you do. And you can make it clear that you want anything you tell them to be strictly confidential.

Good luck to you too. :smile:

Yep. Hand-painted, hand-squidged into shape, all done by the incredibly talented me. You should enter too, I had loads of fun making mines.

Spoiler

Hi, welcome to the society. :smile:

Stress can really mess me up too, especially when I'm already feeling a bit wobbly. Next time I see my doctor I'm planning on asking for some kind of therapy to help me counteract this (tried CBT for that already, but unfortunately it wasn't for me). You could try doing that too, or asking if they know about any organisations who run anti-stress workshops (I think some GP surgeries and charities do them, plus unis and stuff). Hope you find something that works for you.

I didn't know you could get stuff like that... I'll have to have a chat with my doctor tomorrow.
I have to ring work today as it's my 8th day off, I am really panicking about it. I do not want to talk to them. I would have been ok if it wasn't for the insane amount of stress everyone is under.
I get the feeling that today is going to be a bad day.

Yep. Hand-painted, hand-squidged into shape, all done by the incredibly talented me. You should enter too, I had loads of fun making mines.

Spoiler

Ohh, wow! Unfortunately I hate marzipan/almonds/anything that kinda taste so Simnel cakes and the traditional Easter cakes are out for me... I'll enter tonight/tomorrow when I get back to my cable which is at uni :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by avhhs
No one likes change :hugs:

True. But going over the limits is the expensive problem :tongue:.

I did enjoy them. But its just the small things, especially the bad sides of my family (e. g. my brother making sure he doesn't listen to anyone, my dad always seeing the rest of the family as inferior) that has caused problems for me. I can have a lot of fun if the circumstances are right.

Lol. The worst thing is putting something down and forgetting where you put it! :tongue:

I may be going to sleep now. So good night and sweet dreams :hugs:.

Haha no, I am awful when it comes to change I need everything to be the same, helps me to stress slightly less!

That is rubbish though, but I know how difficult it can be when you get the whole family together, its always full of arguements and what not! I hate it when the entire family gets together at christmas it is always really stressful!

Dates are the thing I forget most, always get to the day work is due in and then realise its meant to be in! Even though I will have been aware of the due date for weeks (not sure if that made sense :tongue: )

Goodluck with the appointment today hun, hope it goes alright :hugs:
Reply 6439
I thought this when I first went, that it was all just a phase etc, and I almost didn't show up, but I did and I'm thankful for it. Just go tomorrow and let your GP know everything about how you've been feeling, it's tough but it's worth it. Making the appointment was the first step. Best of luck :hugs:

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
If you were willing to make an appointment, it might be worth going just to have a chat. It's not like going will sign you up to a life time of drugs, so don't worry about it. I hope things work out for you :smile:

Thanks :smile: She didn't laugh and tell me to man up, which is what I've been irrationally worrying about :colondollar: so quite pleased I went!

Latest