The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6440
Original post by Phoenix07
Haha no, I am awful when it comes to change I need everything to be the same, helps me to stress slightly less!

That is rubbish though, but I know how difficult it can be when you get the whole family together, its always full of arguements and what not! I hate it when the entire family gets together at christmas it is always really stressful!

Dates are the thing I forget most, always get to the day work is due in and then realise its meant to be in! Even though I will have been aware of the due date for weeks (not sure if that made sense :tongue: )

Goodluck with the appointment today hun, hope it goes alright :hugs:

Same! :smile:

:console: In my family, no one agrees with each other! :tongue:

That's another thing I forget :hugs:

Thanks :smile:. My mood is still just about staying up. Just can't really be bothered to do anything right now :tongue:.

:hugs:
Original post by avhhs
Same! :smile:

:console: In my family, no one agrees with each other! :tongue:

That's another thing I forget :hugs:

Thanks :smile:. My mood is still just about staying up. Just can't really be bothered to do anything right now :tongue:.

Glad your mood is staying up though hun :smile: mine is all over the place at the moment but got to pack and sort out for going back to university soon.

I can't be bothered to do anything either though, still completely exhausted constantly. I remember why I stopped taking the citalopram now though, it makes the chest pains so much worse, its horrible trying to constantly live with this horrible pressure on your chest all the time!

you had your appointment yet? :hugs:

Got to go and see my nan before I go back to university though because she is convinced she is going to die before I come back again so worried about that :/
Got to go and see my nan before I go back to university though because she is convinced she is going to die before I come back again so worried about that :/

My Nan is always trying to give me her stuff/money as she's convinced she's going to die imminently - this is not the one who's been in hospital and probably will die in the next 10 years as her lungs are shot, but the one who's just turned 80 and is the pinnacle of health. :rolleyes:
Reply 6443
Glad your mood is staying up though hun :smile: mine is all over the place at the moment but got to pack and sort out for going back to university soon.

I can't be bothered to do anything either though, still completely exhausted constantly. I remember why I stopped taking the citalopram now though, it makes the chest pains so much worse, its horrible trying to constantly live with this horrible pressure on your chest all the time!

you had your appointment yet? :hugs:

:hugs: Hope the packing is going well :smile:. I think the end of my good mood has come. Just don't understand what problem my dad has with me making my own decisions?

:console: Just want you to get better :smile:

No, I haven't had my appointment yet. Not looking forward to it though :frown:.

:console: :hugs: :cry2: Must be hard.
Original post by FuzzySheep
Mmmm, mutant reject bunnies :coma: Have you not had one of your own cakes yet?! Well I suppose they are too pretty to eat :tongue: Seeing as I've got some time off and I feel quite bake-y, I might make something myself soon!

That sounds good to me, I'm glad you're doing well, I hope it stays like that :smile: Thank you, I appreciate that. I had been surprisingly okay until about Friday and then things wents fugsaiofbnanf :colondollar: But yeah, I'm glad I've got the time off.

I've just realised the meet is next week! I'm quite excited :smile:

Tried one now and I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased. :colondollar: This may well be because they're about 30% marzipan (one of my favourite things on earth), but yeah they turned out good. You should definitely enter too, baking makes the world a better place!

Ah yes, that well known state of fugsaiofbnanf. It's a killer that one. :tongue: But yeah, the meet's definitely something to look forward to, and hopefully everyone who comes will have a good time.

Original post by laut_biru
Random lift of depression? Utter rubbish, I know what you're like.

You just decided to give it to me instead, is what happened.

:tongue:

Cos I am evil evil evil evil evil. :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana:

Original post by Wheek
I think I have spent over 24 of the last 48 hours asleep. I enjoyed my first week of work, but it really took it out of me. Trouble is the sleeping lots and being tired has triggered my normal worrying about if the depression coming back.

Trying hard to be logical about this right now - I have gone from not doing much with my days (a bit of voluntary stuff once or twice a week) to having worked 25 hours this week, new job, new place, new people and lots and lots of stuff to learn - that would make most people tired.

On the plus side my boss has been very positive and encouraging and seems pleased with my progress this week which has given my self confidence a little boost. This week I am doing my contracted hours so will be at work a lot less so hopefully I should be more awake next weekend.

Hope everyone here is doing ok and that you all have a good week.

What job you doing? It's great that your boss is so positive and stuff - makes for good conditions for your enjoying your work. And of course your body's going to have to adjust a bit to being more active, so I really wouldn't worry about feeling tired just now. Keeping busy doing work that's not too stressful and that you feel good about is a really good way of lowering your chances of feeling depressed. :yep:

Original post by Sephrenia
I didn't know you could get stuff like that... I'll have to have a chat with my doctor tomorrow.
I have to ring work today as it's my 8th day off, I am really panicking about it. I do not want to talk to them. I would have been ok if it wasn't for the insane amount of stress everyone is under.
I get the feeling that today is going to be a bad day.

:hugs: If you need time off for the good of your health then that's what you should have - no need to feel guilty about your colleagues, they'll have had to take time off at some stage too. The best thing you can be doing is to look after yourself, and try and make you feel better now and in the future.

Original post by kiss_me_now9
Ohh, wow! Unfortunately I hate marzipan/almonds/anything that kinda taste so Simnel cakes and the traditional Easter cakes are out for me... I'll enter tonight/tomorrow when I get back to my cable which is at uni :smile:

Spoiler

:eek: Your mental illness reaches far further than I'd thought! Marzipan is the food of the gods. I'm sure whatever you enter will be good though, despite its major almond deficiency, your stuff always looks delicious. :drool:

Spoiler

Original post by kiss_me_now9
My Nan is always trying to give me her stuff/money as she's convinced she's going to die imminently - this is not the one who's been in hospital and probably will die in the next 10 years as her lungs are shot, but the one who's just turned 80 and is the pinnacle of health. :rolleyes:

I don't know what has happened she has always been so young at heart but the past couple of months she is just constantly convinced something is going to happen to her and my grandad .... who knows :/

Original post by avhhs
:hugs: Hope the packing is going well :smile:. I think the end of my good mood has come. Just don't understand what problem my dad has with me making my own decisions?

:console: Just want you to get better :smile:

No, I haven't had my appointment yet. Not looking forward to it though :frown:.

:console: :hugs: :cry2: Must be hard.

All packed and ready now, just got to wait around till I can get a lift to the station!
That sucks though hun :frown: try and stay positive :hugs: don't know why parents are so against you making your own decisions though, I find it just easier to not tell them sometimes!

But thanks hun :smile: I just want it to get better to it is just annoying me now, this constantly being unable to do everything because of something :hugs:

when is your appointment though hun? I know they are rubbish but hopefully it'll be helpful for you hun, goodluck with it :hugs:

It is pretty hard though, and its made worse by the fact that I hate going round their because I don't get on with my grandad so always feel really guilty :frown:
Got an interview at the college I want to go to. It's to do an access to nursing course. And my CRB came back and it's clear :biggrin: yaaaaaay
Original post by 35mm_
Got an interview at the college I want to go to. It's to do an access to nursing course. And my CRB came back and it's clear :biggrin: yaaaaaay

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Best of luck, and you make sure and tell us how it goes. :teeth:
Original post by 35mm_

Awesome!!!!
Reply 6449
Original post by superwolf

What job you doing? It's great that your boss is so positive and stuff - makes for good conditions for your enjoying your work. And of course your body's going to have to adjust a bit to being more active, so I really wouldn't worry about feeling tired just now. Keeping busy doing work that's not too stressful and that you feel good about is a really good way of lowering your chances of feeling depressed. :yep:

Thanks.

I have a job as a vets receptionist. I love being around animals so getting to have a cuddle with various dogs during the working day means its a great job for me.
Original post by Wheek
Thanks.

I have a job as a vets receptionist. I love being around animals so getting to have a cuddle with various dogs during the working day means its a great job for me.

Aww, fluffy things. :h: Mind you don't go stealing none of them animals. :tongue:
Tried one now and I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased. :colondollar: This may well be because they're about 30% marzipan (one of my favourite things on earth), but yeah they turned out good. You should definitely enter too, baking makes the world a better place!

Ah yes, that well known state of fugsaiofbnanf. It's a killer that one. :tongue: But yeah, the meet's definitely something to look forward to, and hopefully everyone who comes will have a good time.

Cos I am evil evil evil evil evil. :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana: :evilbanana:

:hugs: If you need time off for the good of your health then that's what you should have - no need to feel guilty about your colleagues, they'll have had to take time off at some stage too. The best thing you can be doing is to look after yourself, and try and make you feel better now and in the future.

:eek: Your mental illness reaches far further than I'd thought! Marzipan is the food of the gods. I'm sure whatever you enter will be good though, despite its major almond deficiency, your stuff always looks delicious. :drool:

Spoiler

:hugs: Thanks. I keep telling myself that, but it doesn't help much. I rang them, spoke to my area manager (who sounded all sympathetic) and told her I was going back to the doctors tomorrow and that I would keep her updated. I also said that currently my return to work date would be Friday, but since Friday and Monday are bank holidays I wouldn't be back until the Tuesday if I'm fit to work again, but since stress sends me off onto a panic and a wobbly I don't know what he's going to say...

I'm finding it really hard to get myself a routine at the moment - I'm supposed to be, but it just doesn't work...

:hugs: Really sorry to hear that - I hope that she's wrong and manages to stay ok.

Spoiler

She tends to underplay these kinda things, so I'm worried things are worse than she's letting on. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Reply 6453
Aww, fluffy things. :h: Mind you don't go stealing none of them animals. :tongue:

Spoilsport :tongue:

My other half would hit the roof if I brought home another pet, vets bills have been a little expensive recently so I have been banned from adding any new animals to our little furry family.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I'll try to make this kind of brief...I was diagnosed with OCD about a year and a half ago - mainly Obsessions. I had CBT and a really great therapist who helped me get over my OCD - pretty much completely. I am so amazed I've been helped to such an extent, and really grateful for the therapist I had.
Throughout this OCD, I had a persistent low mood, which was not the main priority of treatment. I went to university in 2011 after 2 gap years, and I did not have time to focus CBT on my depression which was a bit of a bummer.
Anyway, I was really nervous about uni as everyone is - but it is great - I have a good house, my course is OK, I did well in exams etc - everything is going in my favour.

I have always hidden my low moods and depression to the extent where even my best friends would think I was joking if I said 'I have depression...' I am always the lofe and soul of the party, always cracking jokes and being funny (so I'm told - sounds quite arrogant typing that...!)
However, during December, my depression was really bad, revising for exams was a real struggle and I was constantly worrying about everything and anything.

This depression led me to visit my GP during the Christmas break from uni and he recommended I start a course of anti-depressants - I was initially put on 50mg Sertraline and got near enough every side effect - low appetite, insomnia, inability to maintain an erection and difficulty reaching orgasm, headaches, sweats etc etc. I knew what to expect and was OK with these side effects as long as after a few weeks I noticed a difference in mood.
It took around 4-5 weeks for my mood to lift which was great - because the drug has to accumulate in your system, it seems like a long and lengthy process and in my particular case, I was sat down and just thought..."hey... I actually feel quite OK, and have done for a few days now!"
This lasted for around 2 weeks which was good. Then I noticed my mood beginning to decline to it's previous depressive state. I went back to my uni GP and he suggested doubling the dose to 100mg Sertraline.
So I've been on 100mg for approximately 2-3 weeks now, again, I experienced all the side effects and still have trouble reaching orgasm and maintaining an erection.

I'm at home for Easter and I feel really low and down now and just don't know what to do with myself. The weather is good and I should be outside having a nice time, but I just don't feel like it... I'm not at the stage of suicidal ideation which I have never felt before, but I just feel hopeless, low, down and yup, DEPRESSED.

:frown:

Sorry for the long post...

Hey :smile:

First off, I'd just like to say well done with your CBT and going to the doctor, shows that you're definitely able to improve how you feel and be in control a lot more. :hugs:

Unfortunately, I've had no experience with anti-depressants myself, so I don't know how much I can help you there. But I was thinking, maybe because you've stared a new higher dose that it'll take a similar amount of time for it to feel like it's working again? If it carries on for a longer period this time round, then maybe take a trip to your doctor and see if anything can be done. I know there are people on here who have a lot more info on ADs and how they work, I'm pretty useless here sorry, but I hope they kick in soon enough.

As for this Easter - I know it's tough getting up and doing things even when there seems like there's lots to do and lovely weather etc, I always feel a bit crap when I just lay in bed and don't make the most of it. I've alway found that the best way for me is to just take baby steps to get myself feeling more active and productive. That way it's not too much pressure and you feel like you're making progress. As you mentioned the weather, maybe a short walk today? Maybe plan to do a little work/reading whatever you like later on? If you split up your time into short activities, it's a good enough distraction to occupy your mind. It's difficult to get the motivation, but it's worked for me, so maybe that's a suggestion? :smile:

I'm sorry if this has been rambly and not entirely useful, if you'd like a chat about anything then you're very free to PM me or just talk on here. Hope you're alright :hugs:
Reply 6455

All packed and ready now, just got to wait around till I can get a lift to the station!
That sucks though hun :frown: try and stay positive :hugs: don't know why parents are so against you making your own decisions though, I find it just easier to not tell them sometimes!

But thanks hun :smile: I just want it to get better to it is just annoying me now, this constantly being unable to do everything because of something :hugs:

when is your appointment though hun? I know they are rubbish but hopefully it'll be helpful for you hun, goodluck with it :hugs:

It is pretty hard though, and its made worse by the fact that I hate going round their because I don't get on with my grandad so always feel really guilty :frown:

Oh dear! Hope it doesn't take long :smile:.

I should have added that what happened was he came into my room looking for something, and I had the curtains closed and wanted to open them, despite me not wanting that.

The appointment is in an hour, and I still haven't written anything down. Really should.

:console:
Original post by Jaee
Thanks :smile: She didn't laugh and tell me to man up, which is what I've been irrationally worrying about :colondollar: so quite pleased I went!

Brilliant, you should feel very proud of yourself :hugs:
Reply 6457
Original post by 35mm_

Thats greats news... Im soooo happy for you.... its very well deserved.:biggrin:
Just had to ask for another coursework extension. The shame.
Original post by 35mm_

That's so great, well done! :biggrin: Let us know how your interview goes, best of luck!

Latest