The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Have any of you told your parents about your depression, and if so how did you do it - letter, phone, face-to-face? I feel I should let my parents know, but I'm apprehensive as to how they'll take it.

I told my mum eventually when I got diagnosed, before that I just kinda struggled through for ages before realising I might have an actual problem.

my mum has been pretty supportive of me, though she really doesn't understand how I feel though I guess that is to be expected :erm:

anyway, my advice is to wait till the time is right for you to tell them, don't feel you have to or that you definitely shouldn't, if you think they will be supportive then is probably a good idea to let them know, if you are not so sure then maybe waiting for you to feel ready to tell them is best.

sorry my advice is not great (I fail at advice), but I hope things work out for you :smile:
Have any of you told your parents about your depression, and if so how did you do it - letter, phone, face-to-face? I feel I should let my parents know, but I'm apprehensive as to how they'll take it.

I couldn't face telling my mum, so I handed her a letter from my psychiatrist to my GP instead beat having to say anything. :tongue: She was actually surprisingly supportive and if you think your parents will be supportive then I'd definitely advise telling them.
Reply 6482
Original post by Phoenix07
I hope you manage to get it all sorted to hun :smile: you know where I am if you want to chat about things! :hugs:

Thanks :jumphug:. Gonna start writing things down in a bit. Got a sore throat too :frown:.
Original post by SciFiBoy
I told my mum eventually when I got diagnosed, before that I just kinda struggled through for ages before realising I might have an actual problem.

my mum has been pretty supportive of me, though she really doesn't understand how I feel though I guess that is to be expected :erm:

anyway, my advice is to wait till the time is right for you to tell them, don't feel you have to or that you definitely shouldn't, if you think they will be supportive then is probably a good idea to let them know, if you are not so sure then maybe waiting for you to feel ready to tell them is best.

sorry my advice is not great (I fail at advice), but I hope things work out for you :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth
I couldn't face telling my mum, so I handed her a letter from my psychiatrist to my GP instead beat having to say anything. :tongue: She was actually surprisingly supportive and if you think your parents will be supportive then I'd definitely advise telling them.

Thanks. The thing is that I'm abroad just now and I'm not really sure how they'll take it.
Original post by avhhs
Thanks :jumphug:. Gonna start writing things down in a bit. Got a sore throat too :frown:.

that sucks :frown: I have got back to university and as predicted I have binged my way through all of my food in the house :frown: feeling so pathetic and **** now, really need to pull myself together with this because it is just making me feel so much worse!

hope you're doing ok though :hugs:
Original post by purple-owl
Thank you :hugs:

hey hope your okay now?:console:
Reply 6486
that sucks :frown: I have got back to university and as predicted I have binged my way through all of my food in the house :frown: feeling so pathetic and **** now, really need to pull myself together with this because it is just making me feel so much worse!

hope you're doing ok though :hugs:

Good to hear you got back safely :smile:. Oops :tongue: what about asking your boyfriend to "hide" most of your food, so it becomes harder to do it again? And hope you get better quickly :smile:.

I'm doing OK. Just need to make a start on writing the things down, and on my mountain of homework :tongue:. Need to refrain from looking at Facebook - there are things on there that have the potential to ruin my mood :sadnod:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks. The thing is that I'm abroad just now and I'm not really sure how they'll take it.

having a good holiday? :smile:

like I said, just wait till you think time is right :smile:
Hey all, i need some advice. I've basically been isolating myself for a year because of depression and anxiety, i really don't like being so alone. I've logged into facebook for the first time in a while and i've been invited to an event, which i was quite suprised at seeing as i haven't talked to anyone from my old college in a year. I don't know if to go or not, because they'll just think i'm weird that i haven't had a social life in a year, i will feel abit awkward "So, what have you been up to then?" "Oh uhm just doing basically nothing" I'm nervous anxious omg :frown:
No reason to feel bad, but I do. This sucks. Can only think of bad ways to cope with it. But doing so would be a failure in terms of my DBT. No idea what to do.
Original post by sheepstick
hey hope your okay now?:console:

Yeah, thanks for your help :smile:

Luckily, Easter study leave means I don't have to see them much! :wink:
Original post by SciFiBoy
having a good holiday? :smile:

like I said, just wait till you think time is right :smile:

More of a working holiday, just with more emphasis on working than I think there should be. I think I'll explain in a card.
Original post by avhhs
Good to hear you got back safely :smile:. Oops :tongue: what about asking your boyfriend to "hide" most of your food, so it becomes harder to do it again? And hope you get better quickly :smile:.

I'm doing OK. Just need to make a start on writing the things down, and on my mountain of homework :tongue:. Need to refrain from looking at Facebook - there are things on there that have the potential to ruin my mood :sadnod:

No for two reasons, 1 - I would then have to admit to him I was having issues with food again, and 2 - I would just find more food anyway :frown: :colondollar:

But yer I do find facebook can be horribly triggering for things, always best to try and avoid it! But I never do, its almost like I need to sit there and look through at other people being happy! But it always makes me feel ****! You should avoid it though, we want to try and keep your positive mood up :smile: hows the writing things down going?
Reply 6493
No for two reasons, 1 - I would then have to admit to him I was having issues with food again, and 2 - I would just find more food anyway :frown: :colondollar:

But yer I do find facebook can be horribly triggering for things, always best to try and avoid it! But I never do, its almost like I need to sit there and look through at other people being happy! But it always makes me feel ****! You should avoid it though, we want to try and keep your positive mood up :smile: hows the writing things down going?

Oh OK :smile:.

I do the exact same thing. I just cant stop looking at it. My mood isn't good at all. My mum went on a rant about something that happened yesterday. Have managed to write 1.5 sides of A4 though. I just want to be normal, with a social life and friends. Just seems like too much to ask.

Hope you're OK :smile: :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
Oh OK :smile:.

I do the exact same thing. I just cant stop looking at it. My mood isn't good at all. My mum went on a rant about something that happened yesterday. Have managed to write 1.5 sides of A4 though. I just want to be normal, with a social life and friends. Just seems like too much to ask.

Hope you're OK :smile: :hugs:

:hugs: at least you've managed to write quite a lot, now just remember to either have it with you when you see the social worker or give it to her to read! But I know what you mean hun, I do just want friends and a normal social life, get so jealous of my housemates and stuff!!

I am doing alright though, feeling quite ill but my mood is better then its been in a while :smile: You up to much tonight?
Reply 6495
:hugs: at least you've managed to write quite a lot, now just remember to either have it with you when you see the social worker or give it to her to read! But I know what you mean hun, I do just want friends and a normal social life, get so jealous of my housemates and stuff!!

I am doing alright though, feeling quite ill but my mood is better then its been in a while :smile: You up to much tonight?

Lol that would be funny if I forget it :biggrin: (and frustrating too :tongue:). :hugs: Thinking of some people in my school is guaranteed to ruin my mood, especially my best friend and seeing how busy she always is (who I haven't spoken to at all since leaving school on Friday). She really does get me jealous :frown:.

That's really good to hear. Just be careful with what you do - I want your mood to stay good :smile:. Not really up to much tonight. Really bored. I was about to start some homework but then that thing with my mum happened, which completely put me off (and I had distracted myself just before with the computer :colondollar:)

:hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa
You okay Hun? :console:

I'm a bit better now thank you, just thinking too much as per usual. Sorry for taking so long to reply! How are you holding up? :hugs:
My mood is back right down again. It was to be expected and for some reason I'm quite relieved, hate feeling indifferent.

In other news, I miss Webberino. It's only been just over 24 hours. :colondollar:
More of a working holiday, just with more emphasis on working than I think there should be. I think I'll explain in a card.

ah okay, well good luck with your work, holiday and family :smile:
Reply 6499
Original post by Anonymous
My mood is back right down again. It was to be expected and for some reason I'm quite relieved, hate feeling indifferent.

In other news, I miss Webberino. It's only been just over 24 hours. :colondollar:

:hugs: You've still got us :smile:. She went camping or something didn't she?

Latest