Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression Society MKVI

Announcements Posted on
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    :eek: What time did you go to bed?
    About 4:30am. Really need to get my sleep patterns sorted...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    All CS people (or people who know C), could anyone help me with a C related problem (silly hash tables...) ? A pint at the next meet should be enough incentive
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Really need to get my sleep patterns sorted...
    Me too, I'm so sleepy! :yawn:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does it count toward your mark?
    When is your appointment?
    Really good call to see the doctor then, don't want things to continue to get worse. :hugs:
    Yes it does, it's one of the key modules. I've had long enough to do it, no excuses.

The appointment's Tuesday. In the morning :eek: I can generally get up when I have somewhere to be though.

I think my biggest worry is that there actually isn't anything wrong with me and this is me. I'm not as bad as other people either, I've never wanted to end it all.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    So got up 10 minutes ago...
    I got up then too! :five:

(Original post by fire2burn)
    Going to dust off the treadmill put QI on the tv and do some running later me thinks

Might as well get some use out of it having spent money on it all those months ago I have so much junk cluttering the place up, stuff I buy but never use. Like dvds and games, I have hundreds of them yet I've probably only watched/played around half of them. Need to try and regain some focus, at the moment I don't even get a quarter of a way through a game before I get bored of it and shove it in the bottom of my cupboard. Just have no patience for anything any more.
    :nah: What you should do is get your computer, put it behind the treadmill and put all videos of running cheetahs and angry mobs on, then you can occasionally glance behind you and pretend you're running from them.
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misst911)
    I think my biggest worry is that there actually isn't anything wrong with me and this is me. I'm not as bad as other people either, I've never wanted to end it all.
    Try not to compare yourself to other people, it's about *you* and how you feel in yourself. Even if it's not as extreme as others, you may still need a bit of help, hopefully it'll make you feel a little better about things
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    :nah: What you should do is get your computer, put it behind the treadmill and put all videos of running cheetahs and angry mobs on, then you can occasionally glance behind you and pretend you're running from them.
    I like your thinking... perhaps put Dawn of the Dead on and pretend I'm fleeing hordes of zombies :beard:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, does anyone here know what other medication I'm likely to be put on if the doctor decides citalopram isn't working? The tiredness isn't really getting any better, which really screws with work, and even though it seemed to help initially I think that might've just been a placebo because recently I've felt exactly like I did before I went on it.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    All CS people (or people who know C), could anyone help me with a C related problem (silly hash tables...) ? A pint at the next meet should be enough incentive
    I can take a look at it for you if you want
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    :console: I'm sure it's not as big a deal as it seems.
    Just a little misunderstanding/me being a douche. I never miss my BF more than when we have a little tiff though :emo:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostHorizons)
    Just curious, does anyone here know what other medication I'm likely to be put on if the doctor decides citalopram isn't working? The tiredness isn't really getting any better, which really screws with work, and even though it seemed to help initially I think that might've just been a placebo because recently I've felt exactly like I did before I went on it.
    Well I tried Prozac first, then citalopram so it's possible he might want to try prozac if you haven't already.
    I was then on mirtazipine but I think that normally makes you waaay more sleeping so that might not be great for you. My psych was suggesting venlafaxine which is better for improving energy levels apparently, but I guess it will depend on whether they want to try some more SSRIs or switch to another group.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, great to see a new thread. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice; I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
    A friend of mine was chatting to me in school today, and mentioned that she had been talking to her mother about me lacking motivation and getting poor grades. She told me her mother thought I might have depression and that I should go see a doctor - at this point I almost fell off my chair and proceeded to laugh it off, saying that there was nothing wrong and I was just a little lazy.

I feel really guilty lying to her now, and I want to make it right, so I was planning to go to school tommorow and tell her that I was worried I might have some form of mental illness and that I'm worried about my health. The only thing keeping me back is that I don't want to place this burden on her. She's not a health professional, and I know I'd be better off going to my GP to get a proper diagnosis, but after she told me about her mothers advice, I feel like she's the only one I can talk to without being judged. But at the same time I don't want to cause her any distress or make her concerned about me; I'm sure she has enough on her mind without having to carry my baggage as well.
    I'm also not sure to what extent I should tell her about my problems. Telling her about my suicidal thoughts and self-harm would be a bit much I'm guessing, but at the same time I kinda want to open up to her because I haven't talked about this to anyone and it'd feel like an emotional release.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should tell her my worries? I've read on another forum how friends have reacted when they find out someone is depressed, and it sounds like there are a lot of judgemental people out there which is making me a little apprehensive. Does anyone have any good experiences about telling their friends about their problems? Or would it be better for her if I let her think everything is fine?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just updating where I am in my report, might make me work faster if I'm more aware how far I've got/how much I have left to do:

Abstract
    Introduction
    Method
    -participants
    -design
    -materials
    -procedure
    Results
    Discussion
    Appendices
    References
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    Hey everyone, great to see a new thread. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice; I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
    A friend of mine was chatting to me in school today, and mentioned that she had been talking to her mother about me lacking motivation and getting poor grades. She told me her mother thought I might have depression and that I should go see a doctor - at this point I almost fell off my chair and proceeded to laugh it off, saying that there was nothing wrong and I was just a little lazy.

I feel really guilty lying to her now, and I want to make it right, so I was planning to go to school tommorow and tell her that I was worried I might have some form of mental illness and that I'm worried about my health. The only thing keeping me back is that I don't want to place this burden on her. She's not a health professional, and I know I'd be better off going to my GP to get a proper diagnosis, but after she told me about her mothers advice, I feel like she's the only one I can talk to without being judged. But at the same time I don't want to cause her any distress or make her concerned about me; I'm sure she has enough on her mind without having to carry my baggage as well.
    I'm also not sure to what extent I should tell her about my problems. Telling her about my suicidal thoughts and self-harm would be a bit much I'm guessing, but at the same time I kinda want to open up to her because I haven't talked about this to anyone and it'd feel like an emotional release.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should tell her my worries? I've read on another forum how friends have reacted when they find out someone is depressed, and it sounds like there are a lot of judgemental people out there which is making me a little apprehensive. Does anyone have any good experiences about telling their friends about their problems? Or would it be better for her if I let her think everything is fine?
    I'd tell her. From the sounds of it she cares about you and won't be judgemental. But I think in order to not be putting too much weight on her, you should also go see your GP. I once told a friend about my depression, suicidal feelings and all (I didn't mean to, was very drunk ) but then wouldn't let him do anything to help me, or tell anyone else, which looking back I think was pretty unfair of me, and must have been difficult for my friend. So I think that while it would be a good idea for you to confide in your friend, you're right to not want to put too much of a burden on her alone. Whereas if you agree to seek help from a professional, things might turn out better for the both of you.

I should have probably mentioned he was a workman, not just a random man It's dark now and I think he's gone.

If he didn't reply to you because of that than I don't think he's really worth worrying about. Why would somebody ignore somebody because of that? You could comment on the post in you liked, at least he will then have to acknowledge you. I have no idea how your medication, or any medication, works really so I'm not in much of a position to say. I do hope you feel better soon though :hugs:

Hope bits of that were somewhat useful, I'm the worlds worst person at giving advice.
    That's good.

Yeah, I guess it's probably not the reason. Might make me look a bit crazy, though not that sure that I mind looking crazy anymore. I'm too much of a chicken to comment. Thanks, just scared I'm slipping back to how I was before. Maybe the mental health person tomorrow will have a magic solution, oh I'm scared.
    Yeah it was, just having some reassurance can really help, especially when I start torturing myself. No you're not, you're brilliant. :hugs:
    Yes it does, it's one of the key modules. I've had long enough to do it, no excuses.

The appointment's Tuesday. In the morning :eek: I can generally get up when I have somewhere to be though.

Well if you haven't felt up to it, maybe you could let someone know?
    Good luck with the appointment!
    As said don't compare yourself to others, not being suicidal doesn't mean your problems aren't serious.
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Just a little misunderstanding/me being a douche. I never miss my BF more than when we have a little tiff though :emo:
    Happens to us all. Maybe you can have a nice makeup phone call?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)

Tell her as long as you feel comfortable enough to. It will not be a burden on her, she'll be happy you've opened up and that you're not having to go through it on your own. I'm sure she'd much rather be there for you, even if she's not a professional, and sometimes that's exactly what you need. She might be more understanding when you're in a bad mood as well.

Tell her as much or as little as you want. Maybe don't start with the self harm, but she sounds like a good friend - she's clearly worried about your lack of motivation if she's talking about it with her mum - so tell her when you feel ready.

I'm currently going through acknowledging it myself and having to discuss it with friends because it's been affecting them, and they've been better about things than they might have been. They're more supportive than I was expecting, although it's difficult to shake off the thoughts, and things will take time. Personally, I feel they only understand it to a certain extent, but it would be unfair to expect anything else.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    How I think I'm doing at the moment.
    - Mood not massively low, except at some points in the evenings.
    - Energy and motivation levels very low, extremely difficult to get out of bed or do anything other than laze on the internet. Done very little studying.
    - Suicidal thoughts becoming more frequent again, occurring at various points throughout the day.
    - Seeing very little point in taking my meds, haven't bothered picking up my new prescription from the pharmacy (should have gone on Monday) and instead have just been taking random amounts from what I've amassed in my Drawer of Pain, Doom and Misery :pain:).
    - Got a psychiatrist appointment in a couple of weeks, not really expecting any miracles though.

That's good.

Yeah, I guess it's probably not the reason. Might make me look a bit crazy, though not that sure that I mind looking crazy anymore. I'm too much of a chicken to comment. Thanks, just scared I'm slipping back to how I was before. Maybe the mental health person tomorrow will have a magic solution, oh I'm scared.
    Yeah it was, just having some reassurance can really help, especially when I start torturing myself. No you're not, you're brilliant. :hugs:
    Let me know how it all goes? I'm sure it'll be fine :hugs:

I really wish my mum would stop offering me random days off school. Since she has found out the true extent of things she's basically letting me do anything I want. I really don't want to go in but I know I should really. Not sure what to do.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Well if you haven't felt up to it, maybe you could let someone know?
    Good luck with the appointment!
    As said don't compare yourself to others, not being suicidal doesn't mean your problems aren't serious.
    Still fighting the feeling that it's all me though. I haven't been sat crying all the time so I couldn't do the work, and I know I can do it, I've managed before. I've just been such a lazy arse that I haven't.

And thanks, I wasn't nervous about it until making the appointment

To me it feels like the equivalent of saying I think I might have the flu but I'm not sneezing, if you get me.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still fighting the feeling that it's all me though. I haven't been sat crying all the time so I couldn't do the work, and I know I can do it, I've managed before. I've just been such a lazy arse that I haven't.

And thanks, I wasn't nervous about it until making the appointment

To me it feels like the equivalent of saying I think I might have the flu but I'm not sneezing, if you get me.
    Depression can make you act lazy, without its being your fault. For me depression usually brings on a major lack in motivation for studying and most other things, and also makes it really hard for me to get out of bed any time before 2pm. But I eventually realised it's not my fault, and depression does make these things harder for you.

And you shouldn't feel like your problems don't matter just because they're not so severe as other peoples'. I know my self-harming isn't nearly so damaging or dangerous as some peoples' on here, but it's still something that negatively affects me, meaning I have a right to be upset about it, and so do you.
Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.