The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by avhhs
Thanks :hugs:. Today when I've been in a good mood, I've still not managed to motivate myself to revise. And I think my good mood is wavering - just taken something silly from someone to heart :frown:. I always find myself lying in bed or wasting time on my computer.

Anyway, hope you have a good weekend :smile:

Fear not, wasting time on my computer is my favourite pastime. Between football manager, star trek online and TSR I spend way too much time on here :tongue:

Hope you have a good weekend too - and that you get some revision done! :smile:
Ergh, I had a terrible night.

I couldn't sleep so I put the radio on, then they were talking about me on it so I turned it off and put my mp3 player on then I started thinking they were trying to message me through songs so I turned that off then lay in the dark just listening. I don't get what I did to deserve this. Well, I do get what I did although I don't think it was really that bad to deserve this. So tired and just ergh. Feeling really ****ing paranoid, I should go to the gym but I'm worried about all the people there but if I don't go I'm just gonna sit here stewing in everything.

Why me? :sad:
Original post by Sabertooth
Ergh, I had a terrible night.

I couldn't sleep so I put the radio on, then they were talking about me on it so I turned it off and put my mp3 player on then I started thinking they were trying to message me through songs so I turned that off then lay in the dark just listening. I don't get what I did to deserve this. Well, I do get what I did although I don't think it was really that bad to deserve this. So tired and just ergh. Feeling really ****ing paranoid, I should go to the gym but I'm worried about all the people there but if I don't go I'm just gonna sit here stewing in everything.

Why me? :sad:

Could you go to the gym at a time when there's next to nobody there? I don't know if that's an option but I can't think of anything else to suggest :console:

Sedatives still not working on the sleep front? I remember you were having problems with them the last time I was in here before my absence.

Feel better :hugs:
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Could you go to the gym at a time when there's next to nobody there? I don't know if that's an option but I can't think of anything else to suggest :console:

Sedatives still not working on the sleep front? I remember you were having problems with them the last time I was in here before my absence.

Feel better :hugs:

Yeah, it's normally pretty empty on a saturday, just a bunch of roid-heads on the weights section. Apparently people don't like using their weekend to work out for some reason. I guess I could try going at like 6am during the week.....hmmm...

Nope, sedatives do **** all. Although I took some of the antihistamine ones last night rather than the better zopiclone, I'll probably take the latter tonight. :crossedf:

Thanks man. :smile:
Yeah, it's normally pretty empty on a saturday, just a bunch of roid-heads on the weights section. Apparently people don't like using their weekend to work out for some reason. I guess I could try going at like 6am during the week.....hmmm...

Nope, sedatives do **** all. Although I took some of the antihistamine ones last night rather than the better zopiclone, I'll probably take the latter tonight. :crossedf:

Thanks man. :smile:

Well, weekends are the only days that most people get off from work/uni/college et cetera. People that are awake at this time on a saturday have either got up for something specific or they're insomniacs. Nobody willingly gets up before 10-11 on a saturday willingly :tongue: (at least, nobody that I know!)

Have you tried asking your GP for something that, you know, works? Or have you tried every hypnotic that they can possibly throw at you? I'm sure you know that there are loads of options if you're really struggling with sleep.
Back on antidepressants :erm:

Not a happy bunny. Yey for doctors that are open on Saturdays though.
Original post by laut_biru
Not sure whether I'm pleased that staying up all night meant getting a piece of work completed or pissed off because now I don't know when the **** I'm going to manage sleeping.

Well done for getting your work done, that is awesome! I would go for being pleased you did your work. :hugs:
Does anyone else who is taking citalopram find that it makes you put on weight?
I'm so hungry, I can't ever remember being this hungry before but I can't bring myself to get out of bed. I think a stash of food in the drawer next to my bed is necessary.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm so hungry, I can't ever remember being this hungry before but I can't bring myself to get out of bed. I think a stash of food in the drawer next to my bed is necessary.

:hugs: Try and make it healthy-ish stuff if you do (dried fruit? cereal bars?) rather than crisps and chocolate.

Original post by sunfowers01

Yehp.
Original post by bullettheory
x

Bulletthoery :biggrin:

Lovely to see you, mate. How've you been?
Original post by angelbones
:hugs: Try and make it healthy-ish stuff if you do (dried fruit? cereal bars?) rather than crisps and chocolate.

Yeah, thanks :hugs:
I'm not sure if having one would be good anyway because food is one of the few reasons I leave my bedroom.

I hope the antidepressants do something for you. :hugs:
I'm not sure if having one would be good anyway because food is one of the few reasons I leave my bedroom.

Having just some snacks won't hurt :hugs:

Thanks. They didn't really last time (or the time before :tongue:), but fingers crossed.

I would say that you'd still have to leave your room to actually cook something, but that'd be sort of wrong given I've not actually had a proper meal since Tuesday - just a couple of packets of crisps and a couple of pasties. :colondollar:

But yeah, some snacks in easy reach is always good. :yep:
Original post by bullettheory
Not even driving recklessly can break me out of this dream. No idea what the point of anything is anymore, no point in continuing if I am just going to be abandoned. See no other way out of things, other than things I am not allowed to talk about here.

:jumphug: Hope you're doing ok now, and remember: if you're gonna drive recklessly, do it in a dodgem! :tongue:

Original post by Niclala
Cool :biggrin: yeah I've been twice (February and April), my hotel was right next to the Baltic and you could see cars driving on it in Feb - it was that frozen!! I've been to Moscow 3 times and done the overnight sleeper up to St Petersburg. I love it, I thought St Petersburg was so beautiful, but that's from a tourist point of view, is it different when you live there? I've been to Yaroslavl too, on a 2 week language course. I met someone who does Russian on Monday and was drunkenly chatting to him trying to tell him all that and ironically I forgot the word 'to forget' :colondollar: I want to say it's 'zabivat'?

Oohh cool, yeah Uni Place. I pretty much lived in there in 1st year cos Life Sciences is such a massive faculty and we all did the same lectures.

:mmm: My first night in Petersburg I ended up jumping up and down on the frozen Neva trying to make it crack (yes I was drunk :tongue:). Didn't work though, otherwise I'd be a wolfsicle (on the topic of icicles, did you know that every year in Petersburg people are killed by giant thawing icicles falling on their heads from tall buildings? :fyi:). I don't think living there was that much different, although I was only there for three months - I still went and watched the parades (saw an awesome military one in Palace Square), went round all the museums (went to the Hermitage 50 billion times, cos I had a Russian student card and could get in for free :biggrin:), the main difference was just that I got to know my way around better, and had more local knowledge about which shops to go to etc. (lived round the corner from a sweetie factory [heavenly smell :coma:] and they had a factory shop which sold them cheaply and freshly made - I've never tasted anything so good in my life).

I've not been to Yaroslavl - worth a visit? Went on the overnight train to Moscow a few times though (плацкартный all the way!), but I'm not such a fan of Moscow as a city - plenty of stuff to do, but all a bit big and overwhelming for my liking.

Yep, zabivat (забывать) is to forget. Do you keep up with your Russian at all? Manchester's LEAP program does Russian if you're interested in getting back into it. There's also the Russian society (on facebook), although it doesn't seem to do that much stuff that's actually Russian-related.

I'm scared.

I live by the train station. All I can hear is "do it" over and over, I'm meant to jump in front of a train. This scares me. I don't understand why this is happening.

:hugs: Make sure you're keeping the NHS informed of what's going on (useless as they are :s-smilie:), also your girlfriend so she can keep an eye on you, and take care of yourself! :jumphug:

I'm planning on sending you those Terry Pratchett books I said about, just as soon as I can remember where I wrote down your address (unless if you're feeling nice and would like to PM me it? :flutter:).

Original post by Meaty_man
Hey guys, feeling really down atm :| I just...CANT get myself to do work, and if i can its already so late in the day that i end up going to sleep after a few hours of starting :\ It's my final project for last year of uni, its a big one with a lot of work and i'm really behind, arrrgh.

I just wanna have days where i sit down and just work through it solid, hey even with a few breaks would be fine, but i get distracted so easily and the task as a whole seems so daunting that it puts me off doing anything...Anyone else know this feeling and/or have any motivation tips or words?

Same. :sigh: My latest plan is to buy my favourite treat (chocolate covered coffee beans :nutcase:), and only allow myself to eat some as a reward for working. I just found somewhere online I can buy them for £10.80/kg - palpitations here I come!

I;m also supposed to be seeing about getting a mentor to help supervise and motivate me - could be worth asking your uni if they could do something similar.

Original post by SciFiBoy
just bumping my own post, does anyone here have much experience of switching from Citalopram to Mirtazapine?

Yeah, for me citalopram and mirtazapine were complete opposites - went from getting almost no sleep on citalopram to getting 15+ hours on mirtazapine (this did reduce over time though), and after having zero appetite and becoming dangerously underweight on citalopram I went back to eating more normally on mirtazapine and regained some of the weight I'd lost (although I never got the munchies like most other people report - I just went back to feeling hungry more or less as normal).

Personally I far preferred mirtazapine to citalopram, which I found really worsened my already bad sleeping and eating habits. Hope the new drug works for you. :hugs:

Original post by Cassanata
Hi guys was just wondering if I could get some insight here. I had a friend who was suffering from depression and I used to talk to him quite a lot, he'd come our with us all the time he was one of our best mates. But there came a time when he just cut contact with us blocked us on fb for no apparent reason (me and my mates) and haven't heard from him since. He didn't have a job barely any friends bar his Gf so I'm just wondering is blocking people out/self isolation common even with close friends?

Hey, sorry to hear that your friend's ill. I agree with Honeyx - you should keep on trying to contact him every once in a while. However I'd try and make whatever you say seem as low-pressure as possible, like just sending him something he might find funny like a youtube video, which he might find easier to respond to than something longer and more emotional like a proper email. And I wouldn't bombard him with messages, just send him something every once in a while to remind him that you are still thinking about him. It's very common to start isolating yourself when you're depressed, and it's a hard cycle to get out of, so make sure he knows that you'll still be there for him whenever he's ready to talk.

You could also get in touch with his girlfriend, and just let her know too that you're thinking about your friend, and for her to let you know if there's anything you can do.

Original post by Honeyx
Does anyone have any experience of being sectioned/ having a lengthy stay in hospital?!
Someone I know is going through this now. I don't really understand exactly whats going on 2bh
I just want to help but dont know how to?! I don't know if id be able to go visit?!
I just feel at a loss really :s-smilie: It kind of upset me

In other news my depression in general seems like its beginning to be controlled by the mirtazapine. However, Im still quite anxious and I don't know why but I can't bring myself to get the bus to uni in the mornings, I feel as if I have to take a taxi and have wasted £50 this wk, which is money I don't have! I also have been putting on weight which I attributed to my medication and wasn't too bothered but I keep getting snide comments from other girls at uni about my weight. Its ridiculous as i've only gone up to a size 10! Im far from obese! Erghh there are other things bothering me but in general I think I can at least cope with the depression and get on with life, which I wasn't doing before so shouldn't really be complaining.:rolleyes:

I was in hospital for two months (voluntarily though). The single biggest memory I have of it was the absolute mind-numbing boredom. If you can give or send them a care package, with a book or two, some nice snacks, that kind of thing, they'd probably really appreciate it. I was allowed visitors, but check with your friend and the hospital first - they might not want to see anyone at the moment. If they're not answering their phone, ring up the hospital - not all wards allow you to keep your phone, but you should be able to get put through to the nurses' station and they'll be able to pass you on to your friend. Hope they don't have to stay in for long. :smile:

Good to hear that you reckon the mirtazapine's working, be great if you're getting better. :yep: I'd speak to the doctor about anxiety - they might prescribe you something else, or maybe recommend you for therapy. If the bus isn't an option for uni and taxis are too expensive, are there any other options like cycling or walking (and if you did want to lose weight then exercise would help of course)? Another solution would be to see if you could get a travel allowance on DSA.

I'd just ignore the brainless girls, upsetting as their comments might be. Size 10 sounds perfect to me, and who the **** cares what some judgemental scumrats think anyways?

Original post by angelbones
Back on antidepressants :erm:

Not a happy bunny. Yey for doctors that are open on Saturdays though.

:console: I hope they do you good.

Original post by sunfowers01

Opposite for me - lost a stone over only a few weeks. Lots of antidepressants can affect your weight though - but you should be able to manage things by keeping an eye on your diet and exercise.

Food stash is the way to go - I'd probably have starved otherwise. :colondollar: I go for a mix of unhealthy (sweets, biscuits, cake etc.) and healthier stuff (mostly fruit [tangerines keep for quite a while, and dried fruit works well too of course], also oatcakes).
Original post by meow444
Oh my gosh ViceVersa! You poor thing! I don't even know what to say. I really hope someone out there can help you :hugs: don't give up hope. Oh and try not to stress too much about exams - just do your best, that's all you can do.

It's okay, and thank you :hugs:

Original post by superwolf
If you can get evidence without your mum finding out then I think you definitely should. After all, unfortunately this isn't likely to end once you move out - we've got to try and get your sister safe too. I think the best thing for you to do is get advice from charities that deal with this kind of thing regularly, like domestic abuse ones dealing particularly with women and children. It seems like they only want to deal with the people involved directly, so maybe at some point you could try calling them up when you're somewhere safe, and find out what they'd advise or can do to help in order to get you both out of this situation with the minimum of danger. I hope you realise that there are plenty of us who'd be totally happy to give you a bed for a few nights if you needed it and could get to us (also if money would help my loan is at your disposal :hat2:), but for both your sakes I think we really need to find a proper solution.

Yeah I think imma be doing that now :sadnod: I'm looking into calling up the different charities today and see what advice they can give me. You'd really give a bed to a total stranger? That's sweet, thank you so much. It's good to know I still have a few options out there, and people willing to help :lovehug: and with the money too, just thank you thank you. I'm more determined to get something done now, specially for my sister. :heart:

Yeah, for me citalopram and mirtazapine were complete opposites - went from getting almost no sleep on citalopram to getting 15+ hours on mirtazapine (this did reduce over time though), and after having zero appetite and becoming dangerously underweight on citalopram I went back to eating more normally on mirtazapine and regained some of the weight I'd lost (although I never got the munchies like most other people report - I just went back to feeling hungry more or less as normal).

Personally I far preferred mirtazapine to citalopram, which I found really worsened my already bad sleeping and eating habits. Hope the new drug works for you. :hugs:

ah, well that sounds okay, need better sleep anyway! my appetite has been all over the place on citalopram so hopefully it helps with that too :smile:

thanks, I hope you are well :h:
Bulletthoery :biggrin:

Lovely to see you, mate. How've you been?

Hey mate, long time no see. I'm alright thanks, how are you doing? Any new achievements in Football Manager? :tongue:

:jumphug: Hope you're doing ok now, and remember: if you're gonna drive recklessly, do it in a dodgem! :tongue:

:hugs: Thanks. I feel slightly better today. I love dodgems! We need dodgems on our Dep Soc island - along with go karts.
The awkward moment when you are too fat into your windsurfing harness... I knew I was a fat ****! :cry:
Well, weekends are the only days that most people get off from work/uni/college et cetera. People that are awake at this time on a saturday have either got up for something specific or they're insomniacs. Nobody willingly gets up before 10-11 on a saturday willingly :tongue: (at least, nobody that I know!)

Have you tried asking your GP for something that, you know, works? Or have you tried every hypnotic that they can possibly throw at you? I'm sure you know that there are loads of options if you're really struggling with sleep.

True, god only knows what I was doing up at that time. :colonhash:

I went to the gym in the end, and as expected all I could hear was laughing and comments about my weight, but I worked through them and just got on with what I was there to do, which is good I guess.

I have tried pretty much everything for sleep. All the commonly prescribed stuff from GPs as well as diazepam (I had some left over). It's not that there's anything wrong with my sleeping, if they'd shut up I would sleep like a baby, it's the fact they don't shut up. So I'm not sure hypnotics are the way to go.

:hugs: Make sure you're keeping the NHS informed of what's going on (useless as they are :s-smilie:), also your girlfriend so she can keep an eye on you, and take care of yourself! :jumphug:

I'm planning on sending you those Terry Pratchett books I said about, just as soon as I can remember where I wrote down your address (unless if you're feeling nice and would like to PM me it? :flutter:).

I am keeping the NHS informed. The woman on thursday mentioned hospital and the crisis team, neither of which particularly appeal to me for some reason. :hmmmm: She also mentioned increasing my quetiapine which pains me as I ****ing hate the stuff but might be my only viable option.

Yay Terry Pratchett! :woo: Not sure if I can read too well right now but I'll give it a shot.

Same. :sigh: My latest plan is to buy my favourite treat (chocolate covered coffee beans :nutcase:), and only allow myself to eat some as a reward for working. I just found somewhere online I can buy them for £10.80/kg - palpitations here I come!

Have you thought about making chocolate covered coffee beans yourself? You can buy bags of beans in supermarkets for a couple of quid, then all you need to do is add chocolate. You could even make them in more of a traybake format, that would be amazing. :sogood:

Latest