The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

I am still spaced out from the come down of caffeine
Hi guys :smile:

I want to ask a question. This may sound a bit daft, but here goes:

Is there anyone on here that believes that they do have depression, or thinks that they may have depression, despite not having been diagnosed?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, from your experiences how do you know if medication would benefit you? I really strongly believe that my depression is mostly chemical so obviously medicine might help that. I guess I'm just reluctant to admit it though.

For me, it got to the point where I just wasn't coping on my own. I let things get so bad that I just couldn't cope with daily life anymore and so I got prescribed antidepressants immediately. Normally doctors tell you to come back in 2 weeks to see how things progress but if your depression is that severe they might go straight to drugs. There's always talk-therapy, but if you're not coping with daily life talk-therapy is gonna be pretty useless because it requires some level of effort and sometimes when you're that depressed it's just impossible.

That said, if you feel depressed and believe it's chemical rather than circumstantial, I would suggest getting help sooner rather than later. Sure things might improve with time, or, more likely, they'll just get worse and worse. So I think it's always better to nip these things in the bud. Go to your doctor, explain your symptoms and see what he suggests. Leaving it until it's really bad definitely isn't a good idea.
Original post by Sabertooth
For me, it got to the point where I just wasn't coping on my own. I let things get so bad that I just couldn't cope with daily life anymore and so I got prescribed antidepressants immediately. Normally doctors tell you to come back in 2 weeks to see how things progress but if your depression is that severe they might go straight to drugs. There's always talk-therapy, but if you're not coping with daily life talk-therapy is gonna be pretty useless because it requires some level of effort and sometimes when you're that depressed it's just impossible.

That said, if you feel depressed and believe it's chemical rather than circumstantial, I would suggest getting help sooner rather than later. Sure things might improve with time, or, more likely, they'll just get worse and worse. So I think it's always better to nip these things in the bud. Go to your doctor, explain your symptoms and see what he suggests. Leaving it until it's really bad definitely isn't a good idea.

I agree, better to deal with things there and then before they get worse and worse :smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh

Is there anyone on here that believes that they do have depression, or thinks that they may have depression, despite not having been diagnosed?

I don't think I've actually got a diagnosis. When I went to see my GP all he said was that he didn't think anti-depressants would be a good idea and referred me to counselling.

why do you ask?

I was diagnosed last week but had been fairly certain that I was suffering from depression for a couple of years before that, if that's any help?
Original post by Anonymous
I was diagnosed last week but had been fairly certain that I was suffering from depression for a couple of years before that, if that's any help?

Oh okay.
Original post by superwolf
Hope it's gone well for you. :hugs:

lol. I didn't go. I was prepared but then didn't. The rain excuse. :frown:
Original post by superwolf
;

What course and uni are you in, if you don't mind me asking you? Was it of help, I mean were you allowed to sit the modules again or ?
Guys, my GP has precrobed me anti-depressants, do they have side effects? are they worth taking? Will it cause me any problems?
Ergh, seeing my "care-coordinator" tomorrow....pretty worried about how things are going to go. Last week she mentioned both hospital and the crisis team, both of which I'm dead set against and well, over the past week things have only got worse, what if she mentions them again? :afraid: I can't cope with either, I do not want that to happen. But likewise I don't want to lie to her because then I'll probably get no help at all. Meant to also be looking at increasing my meds, I ****ing hate quetiapine but right now I really don't see any alternative. It makes me feel pathetic that I need to increase it, that my life has come to being doped out of my brains just to cope with everyday. :sad:

My response to your question would happen to be the same as Alofleicester's :yep:
Ok, I was reading the 'what's the worst thing your family has done to you?' thread and on the spur of the moment I put a reply. I really wish I hadn't. It was weighing on my mind and I spouted without thinking about how public it was. I didn't even post it anonymously.

I was debating whether or not to delete it then I accidentally negged the poor bloke that quoted me and asked a question - I decided it would be harsh to neg him, albeit it accidentally, then delete the thing which he had quoted so everyone could see it anyway. So I replied.

That was equally stupid.

Whoops. Maybe I should delete it.
I how do you really tell whether depression is circumstantial or chemical? Or can it even be a bit of both?

I've had bad stuff happen to me, but they're type of stuff that many people would be able to get over quite easily without getting super depressed about it, yet I seem to be super sensitive and react so badly to things, and my mind seems to get all jumbled up often :frown:. My doctor's referred me to counselling rather than having any pills, so what would that suggest?
Original post by Alofleicester
I don't think I've actually got a diagnosis. When I went to see my GP all he said was that he didn't think anti-depressants would be a good idea and referred me to counselling.

why do you ask?

I ask because I believe that for most of my life there have been times when I've been suffering from depression, and I believe that sometimes I still do. It's definately not hormones or a case of feel sad and I'm not exagerrating or misusing the word depression. :frown:

I believe certain issues in my life have triggered my depression, and I believe that certain events are linked to it. My doctor even knows of my issues - she was concerned for me and suggested that she could prescribe ADs but I said no, cos I'd rather deal with the root causes through therapy. So she has referred me to have CBT which I will have soon, and I've also had counselling in the past.

Despite that, I've never been diagnosed, but I do believe that I have suffered with depression for most of my life. I've even had a couple of people close to me (who know of all my problems) say to me that I've possibly have/have had depression.
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Ok, I was reading the 'what's the worst thing your family has done to you?' thread and on the spur of the moment I put a reply. I really wish I hadn't. It was weighing on my mind and I spouted without thinking about how public it was. I didn't even post it anonymously.

I was debating whether or not to delete it then I accidentally negged the poor bloke that quoted me and asked a question - I decided it would be harsh to neg him, albeit it accidentally, then delete the thing which he had quoted so everyone could see it anyway. So I replied.

That was equally stupid.

It seems to be bothering you quite a bit so I think it'd probably be best if you delete those posts. Also ask the person who quoted you to delete their post.
Reply 8516

That was equally stupid.

Ok, so I've read it, because I'm a nosy little **** like that, and honestly I think you're ok to leave it there.
Very few other people will have the balls to quote you on it because it's such a heavy topic, and nobody that matters know who you are in real life.
Plus a lot of the people posting in there will be putting their own worst thing down, rather than looking to troll etc.

I was tempted to post in that thread myself yesterday. It's cathartic to type it (at least for me) and there won't be any consequences. :hugs:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
It seems to be bothering you quite a bit so I think it'd probably be best if you delete those posts. Also ask the person who quoted you to delete their post.

Original post by Nut.
Ok, so I've read it, because I'm a nosy little **** like that, and honestly I think you're ok to leave it there.
Very few other people will have the balls to quote you on it because it's such a heavy topic, and nobody that matters know who you are in real life.
Plus a lot of the people posting in there will be putting their own worst thing down, rather than looking to troll etc.

I was tempted to post in that thread myself yesterday. It's cathartic to type it (at least for me) and there won't be any consequences. :hugs:

Ah, well I already deleted it. I feel better now. The people whose opinions I give a crap about know about it anyway - all of you included, I believe.

It matters not.

Maybe I'll repost it later, when I feel calmer and less jaded. I don't know. All that matters for now is that I feel better.

That being said, I still feel a bit guilty for accidentally negging the guy that quoted me. I genuinely didn't mean to do it.

Thank you both :smile: :hugs:

How is everybody this evening?

Edit: Ha - after I deleted it, someone searched for me just to neg me. I am actually quite amused.
(edited 12 years ago)
Getting more crazy ideas about writing people goodbye letters..or should I use my old drafts?

:erm:
Reply 8519
Ah, well I already deleted it. I feel better now. The people whose opinions I give a crap about know about it anyway - all of you included, I believe.

It matters not.

Maybe I'll repost it later, when I feel calmer and less jaded. I don't know. All that matters for now is that I feel better.

That being said, I still feel a bit guilty for accidentally negging the guy that quoted me. I genuinely didn't mean to do it.

Thank you both :smile: :hugs:

How is everybody this evening?

I'll +rep him for you :h:

Latest