The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa
Getting more crazy ideas about writing people goodbye letters..or should I use my old drafts?

:erm:

:hugs:

I can't think of anything meaningful to say, so I just wanted you to know that I was listening.

I'm here if you need to talk.

Chris x
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Ah, well I already deleted it. I feel better now. The people whose opinions I give a crap about know about it anyway - all of you included, I believe.

It matters not.

Maybe I'll repost it later, when I feel calmer and less jaded. I don't know. All that matters for now is that I feel better.

That being said, I still feel a bit guilty for accidentally negging the guy that quoted me. I genuinely didn't mean to do it.

Thank you both :smile: :hugs:

How is everybody this evening?

Edit: Ha - after I deleted it, someone searched for me just to neg me. I am actually quite amused.

No problem :hugs:

That's funny about the revenge neg. Although, I have to admit to being guilty of it myself sometimes :teehee:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I how do you really tell whether depression is circumstantial or chemical? Or can it even be a bit of both?

I've had bad stuff happen to me, but they're type of stuff that many people would be able to get over quite easily without getting super depressed about it, yet I seem to be super sensitive and react so badly to things, and my mind seems to get all jumbled up often :frown:. My doctor's referred me to counselling rather than having any pills, so what would that suggest?

I think it's standard procedure to try more natural means of treatment before medication, at least that's what i see from my experiance. I think counselling is definately worth a go, because if nothing else it allows you to understand yourself a bit more, and the reasons for why you feel how you do. That in itself can give some reassurance and comfort.

Depression can be a culmination of so many things, for me it's genetic (my dad, my cousin and my nan all have it) and i think experiances from growing up can also affect it.

I actually think worrying about small things a lot and being super sensitive are normal symptoms of depression. It doesn't make sense why you feel crap or why u worry so much, but that is what depression is, a mental illness.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
No problem :hugs:

That's funny about the revenge neg. Although, I have to admit to being guilty of it myself sometimes :teehee:

Funny thing was, it wasn't the guy that I accidentally negged. *shrugs* - I don't even know this guy.

Hehe, oh well. Worse **** has happened. :tongue:
really really hate it when I can feel that empty feeling inside rearing it's head again and starting to consume my happiness :frown:
Original post by superwolf
Not to any old stranger, but to you... :love: Let us know if you need help with anything at all.

I actually ****ing love you :hugs:

Spoiler

Ahhhh, right, thank you.

Again - well done. I'm sure you'll make your offers. If I get my predicted grades I might ring up every med school in the UK and beg them to see if they have even one place available - there have been stories. Incredibly unlikely but it can't hurt to try!

Thanks again love. How've you been?

No problem :hat2:

Sounds like a plan! :yy:

How have I been? **** :tongue:

Yourself?

:hugs:

I can't think of anything meaningful to say, so I just wanted you to know that I was listening.

I'm here if you need to talk.

Chris x

Thanks x
Im getting more exhausted lately...im finding i have to take naps in the day when i've already slept enough as it is. I can't push myself to work earlier than 8pm, and then im normally up until 6am. ****ting it about getting my work done in time and if i will pass my course :| i'm so fed up with it now, feels like i get nearly nothing done on a daily basis when i should be pumping work out.

Citalopram seems to have dulled my depression somewhat, it's not as intense as it used to be, but it's still very much there.

Also, not having a partner for a while (over 3 years) is really getting to me. Makes me feel like a real ****ty human being.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ViceVersa

No problem :hat2:

Sounds like a plan! :yy:

How have I been? **** :tongue:

Yourself?

Thanks x

I've been quite **** too, thanks :smile:

You know you're on a depression thread when "I've been **** thanks, how about you?" is a fairly typical response.

Thanks for answering my question though, it's much appreciated. Mostly curiosity but it may actually prove helpful in the next cycle :smile:

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better advice. Well, any advice at all really. No need to thank me. What are friends for? :smile:

As I said though. If you need to talk, you know where I am. I promise not to disappear off the face of TSR again :smile: :hugs:
Original post by Meaty_man
I think it's standard procedure to try more natural means of treatment before medication, at least that's what i see from my experiance. I think counselling is definately worth a go, because if nothing else it allows you to understand yourself a bit more, and the reasons for why you feel how you do. That in itself can give some reassurance and comfort.

Depression can be a culmination of so many things, for me it's genetic (my dad, my cousin and my nan all have it) and i think experiances from growing up can also affect it.

I actually think worrying about small things a lot and being super sensitive are normal symptoms of depression. It doesn't make sense why you feel crap or why u worry so much, but that is what depression is, a mental illness.

Thanks for your helpful reply :yy:. That all makes some good sense. Yeah, I guess trying counselling is better than nothing :yep:
I've been quite **** too, thanks :smile:

You know you're on a depression thread when "I've been **** thanks, how about you?" is a fairly typical response.

Thanks for answering my question though, it's much appreciated. Mostly curiosity but it may actually prove helpful in the next cycle :smile:

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better advice. Well, any advice at all really. No need to thank me. What are friends for? :smile:

As I said though. If you need to talk, you know where I am. I promise not to disappear off the face of TSR again :smile: :hugs:

we're all so cheery in here :tongue:

I think I may have to have my guitar surgically attached to me, I always feel much happier holding it. Might ruin my career prospects mind.
Reply 8530
Counsellor was talking with me today about my diagnosis and explained to me that girls with ADHD tend to flit between projects very quickly and get bored, rather than being all ants-in-your-pants and disruptive like boys can be.

I've just realised that I've been trying to watch an old episode of Waking the Dead for the past 3 hours and I'm still only 20 minutes in because I keep stopping it to search things on Amazon, youtube and I have open 5 TSR threads that I'm keeping tabs on :facepalm2:.

I do it with reading too... read half a page, stare around the room for a while, read some more... if I'm on my laptop I have the tv on at the same time and I flit between things.

Now I feel even more confused about which diagnostic category I fit under.
Got a question: My therapist has said that going to the gym is a really good idea. She suggested that I find a friend to go with. The problem is, I haven't talked to most of my friends in ages and they haven't talked to me (usually I'm the one who starts conversations and stuff with my mates). I'm frightened to ask them because of this, and because of other reasons (The idea of me going to the gym will make them laugh; whenever I ask them to go somewhere they say no and end up going drinking instead; they won't want to "waste money"; many of them dislike exercise). However, I'd still like to ask them while trying to get over this fear because of the reasons stated. Am I just being ridiculous? I need to try and get over this fear somehow.

Sorry if I've asked this before, and sorry if I've worded it terribly.
Original post by Alofleicester
we're all so cheery in here :tongue:

I think I may have to have my guitar surgically attached to me, I always feel much happier holding it. Might ruin my career prospects mind.

Hehehe. Or I'm just a cynical bastard, one of the two :wink:

I suppose it depends on what your career plan is. If you want to be a guitarist it might be quite beneficial, for example. Perhaps you could have it surgically unattached at a later date if necessary? :tongue:
Reply 8533
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hi guys :smile:

I want to ask a question. This may sound a bit daft, but here goes:

Is there anyone on here that believes that they do have depression, or thinks that they may have depression, despite not having been diagnosed?

Yeah i'm one of those people :smile:

<><><><>

Managed to do more revision! :awesome:. But now completely distracted when it comes to actual homework :mad:
Hehehe. Or I'm just a cynical bastard, one of the two :wink:

I suppose it depends on what your career plan is. If you want to be a guitarist it might be quite beneficial, for example. Perhaps you could have it surgically unattached at a later date if necessary? :tongue:

Cynicism is awesome though.

My career plan involves becoming a chemist and developing new drugs so I don't think it'd help.
Cynicism is awesome though.

My career plan involves becoming a chemist and developing new drugs so I don't think it'd help.

T'is indeedy :smile:

Hmm. Yeah, I'd have to agree. I don't think that that would impress the big-wigs at GSK, for example. Could you cover the guitar with a cape? :ninja:
T'is indeedy :smile:

Hmm. Yeah, I'd have to agree. I don't think that that would impress the big-wigs at GSK, for example. Could you cover the guitar with a cape? :ninja:

Better yet, top hat, wig and false moustache and claim it's my Siamese twin.
Better yet, top hat, wig and false moustache and claim it's my Siamese twin.

Shazam. I like it. You could make it a fashion trend :nod:
Reply 8538
Original post by laut_biru
laut_biru has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

:tongue:
came back a few hours ago from being from over 8 hours in a and e and nearly got admitted, I cant say why on here but everything got to much, even worse i was in school when it happened and my head of year wont let me come back until i prove im mentally well :angry:, not sure if i will get to my AS exams. right now I'm so confused and lost, have an appointment tomorrow but I know its going to bad :frown:
sorry if it doesn't make much sense

Latest