The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am really worried about my boyfriend. He is 18 and we have been together more than two years.
When we met he was the most confidence person around but he has totally lost all that. Yesterday he broke down in front of me crying telling me he hates the way he looks and he hates who he has become. He thinks he is boring and is worried he won't make friends at uni.
He has never been diagnosed with anything but depression runs in one side of his family and he suffers such sudden down spells that his mum has even asked me if drugs could be the cause (definitely not). He also says he has so little confidence he feels embarrassed by everything he says or does.
He is amazing! - really smart, funny, talented and good looking but he just can't see it. When I compliment him he thinks I am lying or patronising him. How can a boost his confidence again?

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am really worried about my boyfriend. He is 18 and we have been together more than two years.
When we met he was the most confidence person around but he has totally lost all that. Yesterday he broke down in front of me crying telling me he hates the way he looks and he hates who he has become. He thinks he is boring and is worried he won't make friends at uni.
He has never been diagnosed with anything but depression runs in one side of his family and he suffers such sudden down spells that his mum has even asked me if drugs could be the cause (definitely not). He also says he has so little confidence he feels embarrassed by everything he says or does.
He is smart, funny, talented and good looking but he just can't see it. When I compliment him he thinks I am lying or patronising him. How can a boost his confidence again?

Original post by Honeyx
Exams from tomorrow. I know nothing. Anxiety in killing me. Have really bad pain in my chest since yesturday and nothings helping. Keep being sick and im so scared. I know im going to fail and just wan to hide away but my parents will hate me if I don't go and the uni may fail me anyway and make me retake in the summer and if I pass, get the min grade. I can just do it and then get 'special considerations' but as Im already getting extra time etc they may not care. I need to go GP but dont know what to say to them. I dont want depression medication and anxietymed clearly isn't working anymore. I also think everyone thinks im lying and im really just thick and not capable of being a dr. I cant stop crying but need to learn something for tomo and this pain in my chest is really bad. Have no-one to talk to. New uni friends dont know anything is wrong and dont want them to. I dont know what to do. I hate this.

Try taking a brether, just relax for an hour or two watching TV? Then just slowly get the books out and get on with it I guess, you're clearly not thick if you're in Medical school! You just need a break I guess? :hugs:

Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My uni and department were great about it. I'd got myself into a state of having 100 credits to pass over 6 weeks so they gave me the options.

Definitely discuss with your uni about postponing deadlines, maybe moving a few modules (I had an Autumn programming module moved to Summer so I could concentrate on it better) and the other things like that if you're not sure you want to repeat the year. There are so many allowances that can be made if you need them to get through the year successfully.

It really knocked me when I had to sign my 'repeating the year' papers. I mean really really knocked me. I pretty much shut down for the two weeks after finding out. I had a lot of meetings with the university to try and calm my feelings down about being a repeat student at 25 but I've grown to accept that it was what I needed. I am really enjoying uni this time around. I'm doing group work, exercising, eating better and generally having a good time and working at a higher level and, most importantly, feeling better about it.

You just have to figure what works for you :smile:

Uni have been okayish so far, student support don't really think understand how I have been feeling, my department were good though so far about my missing classes/deadlines.

short term looks like I will have to miss this class test on Wednesday as can't catch up in time, that might not be end of the world though as they said if I do extenuating circumstances form at end of year it's not so bad if I miss some of these things but not all obviously.

already dropped out of Uni once before which hit me really hard and took me over a year to recover from and do anything really, so definitely don't want to be in that kind of situation again, repeating a year wouldn't be so bad I guess as will hopefully have more support for my depression and also an extra year with friends here.

thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by SeaJay
Started to see giant spiders again. I don't know whether I should tell the doctor or not....? They look very real, but I know they're not there really. Sometimes wish they were kittens rather than spiders though..... (how very speciesist of me)....

I've seen spiders before too, they were crawling on me. I found showers help clear my head a bit, might be worth a shot?
What sucks about not being good friends with anyone at uni is that there's no one there to cuddle when I really need it.

Eating is like getting a cuddle from food.

Spoiler

Original post by angelbones
What sucks about not being good friends with anyone at uni is that there's no one there to cuddle when I really need it.

Eating is like getting a cuddle from food.

Spoiler

aw, I can send you a virtual hug if helps! :hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 1147
Original post by Sabertooth
I've seen spiders before too, they were crawling on me. I found showers help clear my head a bit, might be worth a shot?

:frown: bastards.

Shower, good idea - thanks. :smile: They never crawl on me though (thank god!) - either stare at me, run towards me or just go about their business.
Original post by SciFiBoy
aw, I can send you a virtual hug if helps! :hugs:

Spoiler

:hugs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I have felt the same before, in a way I still feel the same :frown:. It's just upsetting, I always keep a 'happy' face on when I feel really **** on the inside :closedeyes:, not really good

Actually I feel really lonely lol, I have not seen my friend since the end of summer...They've tried calling me, alot but like...I don't really want to talk to all the people who have done better than me and gone to university. -woopsies, just given my life story sorry

In your case, I am sure it'll get better and a virtual hug alwayyys helps! :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SeaJay
Started to see giant spiders again. I don't know whether I should tell the doctor or not....? They look very real, but I know they're not there really. Sometimes wish they were kittens rather than spiders though..... (how very speciesist of me)....

Jesus, :hugs: def go to the doctor about that one... I'd be ****ting myself every time I saw one, I hate the buggers :colondollar:
Original post by SciFiBoy
Uni have been okayish so far, student support don't really think understand how I have been feeling, my department were good though so far about my missing classes/deadlines.

short term looks like I will have to miss this class test on Wednesday as can't catch up in time, that might not be end of the world though as they said if I do extenuating circumstances form at end of year it's not so bad if I miss some of these things but not all obviously.

already dropped out of Uni once before which hit me really hard and took me over a year to recover from and do anything really, so definitely don't want to be in that kind of situation again, repeating a year wouldn't be so bad I guess as will hopefully have more support for my depression and also an extra year with friends here.

thank you for your reply :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
Original post by SeaJay
:frown: bastards.

Shower, good idea - thanks. :smile: They never crawl on me though (thank god!) - either stare at me, run towards me or just go about their business.

Shower certainly beats being dosed up on antipsychotics. :dontknow:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

thanks!
Reply 1155
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Jesus, :hugs: def go to the doctor about that one... I'd be ****ting myself every time I saw one, I hate the buggers :colondollar:

Yeah, thanks - maybe... It might just be because I'm very tired though. The only time I've seen them before is when I've been ok (i.e. not depressed) and very tired. I'll talk to the doc though.

I send you a pink elephant. not really sure why.... :elefant:
Reply 1156

:hugs: Was why I was worried about telling the doc. I hope they start to help you soon though.

I'll see what my GP says next week....

OMG showers are actually awesome! They're like amazing for getting rid of stress and minor headaches :love:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah. :hugs:

Got really upset this morning for no apparent reason so I tried to not cry but couldn't so went in the shower where nobody could see me and had a bloody good cry (cliché I know). Feeling better for it though. Got dressed into something other than my school uniform for the first time in a while. I miss wearing my dresses and wearing my curly hair down instead of in a ballet bun all the time. This feeling is short lived so trying to make the most of it.
and and and, we can see my grandad! :biggrin:

Glad you're feeling better. Good luck with the work, you've come so far. :jumphug:

Yoyoing feelings such a pain, trying to make sense of it all.
That's really great about your grandad! Sure he will be really excited to see you!

Feeling awful again, I seem to be in some sort of cycle at the moment. Haven't done any work yet, so maybe it's just guilt that I caused myself. Couldn't face getting up properly. Put a stale roll in the toaster to make it edible, felt a little better after eating it, still pretty bad though. Have checked and I am on the BSc, just the thought of having to explain it to housemates and family....bleugh, will probably put it off for ages. Also I shouldn't be taking a masters module which is proving quite a lot harder than the other modules, don't want it to affect my marks if I shouldn't even be doing it, but if I asked to change modules now I would have a lot to catch up on with a new one. Don't want to bring any of it up with anyone because it's all my fault for not even knowing what course I'm on, would look like a complete idiot. Sorry I'm just rambling.
Reply 1159
Ok my chest is still killing me
I'll try going exam tomo
Will fail bt hopefully special considerations will be upheld
Then won't have grade capped
God anxiety is really bad
Help how do I stop chest hurting I'm curled up in bed in pain
Can't learn
Ruined this yr already
Everyone hates me...I've become a recluse realised haven't even been out shopping since last Sep
I take taxis to and from uni to avoid seeing friends nearly all my spare student loans gone on that
Everyone will think im lying cos I'm just dum and I don't know how to explain to uni GP, their both horrible...I'm not stupid just ill

Latest