The Student Room Group

M2 collisions help needed!!! Solomon Paper C Question 6

Three uniform spheres A, B and C of equal radius have masses 3m, 2m and 2m respectively. Initially, the spheres are at rest on a smooth horizontal table with their centres in a straight line and with B between A and C. Sphere A is projected directly towards B with speed u. Give that the coefficient of restitution between A and B is (2/3),

a. Show that the speeds of A and B after the collision are (1/3)u and u respectively.

The coefficient of restitution between B and C is e. Given that A and B collide again,

b. Show that e>(1/3)

I solved part a. but i'm unable to solve part b. What do I do here? Please help!!!!

Thank you
Original post by ostrava_boletaria
Three uniform spheres A, B and C of equal radius have masses 3m, 2m and 2m respectively. Initially, the spheres are at rest on a smooth horizontal table with their centres in a straight line and with B between A and C. Sphere A is projected directly towards B with speed u. Give that the coefficient of restitution between A and B is (2/3),

a. Show that the speeds of A and B after the collision are (1/3)u and u respectively.

The coefficient of restitution between B and C is e. Given that A and B collide again,

b. Show that e>(1/3)

I solved part a. but i'm unable to solve part b. What do I do here? Please help!!!!

Thank you

You need to work out the velocity of B after the collision with C; this will be in terms of "e".

You're told A and B collide again, and this implies a restriction on the velocity of B, which you need to work out.

Putting the two together should allow you to work out the restriction on "e".
Original post by ghostwalker
You need to work out the velocity of B after the collision with C; this will be in terms of "e".

You're told A and B collide again, and this implies a restriction on the velocity of B, which you need to work out.

Putting the two together should allow you to work out the restriction on "e".

Thanks it worked!!!

Quick Reply

Latest