Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eye sight

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayab)
    I have been doing some exercises that I saw in the Internet but they dont do much.
    I think i would need to keep them until I am 21 then
    Thanks anyway
    Not being nasty but I think we would have heard about these exercises more if they had magically helped people already

And yeah I have glasses, occasionally wear contact lenses but have got used to the fact I'm going to be wearing glasses for the rest of my life
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick1sHere)
    Not being nasty but I think we would have heard about these exercises more if they had magically helped people already

And yeah I have glasses, occasionally wear contact lenses but have got used to the fact I'm going to be wearing glasses for the rest of my life
    There is no magic in stuff like that, it takes a lot of time and effort. Even the proven things are not magical. There are certain types of exercises that are proven to improve eyesight in certain cases.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've once read this book written by a japanese man who made it to get his eyesight back. It seemed that he himself revised some methods to train muscles on eyes. I think it works but the the thing is that you should be consistent.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missorson)
    I've once read this book written by a japanese man who made it to get his eyesight back. It seemed that he himself revised some methods to train muscles on eyes. I think it works but the the thing is that you should be consistent.
    I thought about that too. Even if it's effective you need to spend hours a day practicing to get results... most of us don't have that much of spare time anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    I thought about that too. Even if it's effective you need to spend hours a day practicing to get results... most of us don't have that much of spare time anyway.
    It's all a load of ****. Don't understand why anyone actually bothers with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    eyeball transplant.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    It's all a load of ****. Don't understand why anyone actually bothers with it.
    still some of the exercises did help me, I could read and use the computer for longer time without glasses after the exercises. Yet, I must admit they didn't help at all with my distant vision.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    still some of the exercises did help me, I could read and use the computer for longer time without glasses after the exercises. Yet, I must admit they didn't help at all with my distant vision.
    That could be because have convergence insufficiency and in doing exercises you increased your positive fusional reserves making near tasks easier. I can understand that (and indeed there is evidence supporting exercises to improve positive fusion reserves). However, I maintain that there is no evidence besides anecdotal to suggest there is a way to improve your uncorrected visual acuity when you have a significant refractive error.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    That could be because have convergence insufficiency and in doing exercises you increased your positive fusional reserves making near tasks easier. I can understand that (and indeed there is evidence supporting exercises to improve positive fusion reserves). However, I maintain that there is no evidence besides anecdotal to suggest there is a way to improve your uncorrected visual acuity when you have a significant refractive error.
    What is considered significant?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missorson)
    I read an account from about 1750 of an elderly guy who washed his eyes every day with urine, and after about 10 years he found he could read without glasses. It's a plausible story - though I doubt the urine had anything to do with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    I read an account from about 1750 of an elderly guy who washed his eyes every day with urine, and after about 10 years he found he could read without glasses. It's a plausible story - though I doubt the urine had anything to do with it.
    Urine and 10 years.... wow... It freaks me out. I wonder what relation is there between eyes and urine.
    FYI, the writer of the book that I've read is Isao Matsuzaki.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbaaz)
    laser surgery , only allowed if your 21 plus as that is when your eye sight settles.
    you have to be 18 thats when i had it done.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    I had laser eye surgery last year.

Allow me to give you some advice...

It works, yes. But it absolutely kills! Seriously take no notice of what the adverts say - it hurts for hours!
    didn't think it was that bad .. my eyes were blurry for the first day but then they settled.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have almost -10 dioptres in one eye and almost -6 in the other. I have used contact lenses for almost a decade (since the age of about 11/12) and I still wouldn't risk laser eye surgery. Sure my eyesight is dreadful, but I'm grateful that it can be corrected by wearing glasses, and especially grateful that I can use contact lenses.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo_01)
    you have to be 18 thats when i had it done.
    really? my optican told me that they recommend you to wait till 21 minimum as your eye sight is constantly changing at 18.

do you have to pay to get laser surgery or would it be paid for by the nhs?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbaaz)
    really? my optican told me that they recommend you to wait till 21 minimum as your eye sight is constantly changing at 18.

do you have to pay to get laser surgery or would it be paid for by the nhs?
    It depends, I know a few people who done it at 17-19. The main reason is being over 18 is for legal purposes. The medical factor for the surgery is only a stable prescription for over 1 or 2 years (depends on the clinic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I know a few people who done it at 17-19. The main reason is being over 18 is for legal purposes. The medical factor for the surgery is only a stable prescription for over 1 or 2 years (depends on the clinic.
    Having spoken to several optometrists and opthalmologists, having laser eye surgery between 17 and 19 is a stupid idea. The reason is, your eyes are still likely to be developing at that age. Like the other person, I've never heard of laser surgery being granted to those below the age of 21.

If you or anyone else is considering laser eye surgery below the age of 21, I'd say don't be stupid and take the advice of of an expert. Any expert who says 17-19 is OK is only saying it because he's being paid to say so. Talk to any expert who isn't affiliated with the provision of laser eye surgery and he would recommend 21 or above.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 23 soon and my eyesight doesn't seem to 'settle down'. My prescription still goes up a little every year. I'm not thinking of getting LASIK done anyway, just saying that there isn't this special moment on your 21st birthday when your eyesight will never change again, as some people seem to think

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 25, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.