The Student Room Group

Mechanics 3 help needed Urgently

I need help in the question which i have attached with this post, the solution of the question is also attached with this post. My doubt is in part b of the question, i am not understanding how the amplitude is being found.

Can somebody please help me quickly because tomorrow i have m3 exam.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
The amplitude is the distance between the equilibrium position and where it is at rest. You've already found the equilibrium position in part a, and the question tells you it is at rest at C (starts there).
Reply 2
Original post by Hopple
The amplitude is the distance between the equilibrium position and where it is at rest. You've already found the equilibrium position in part a, and the question tells you it is at rest at C (starts there).

So is the calculated amplitude in this question( the question attached with this post, this isn't the same question) correct. The solution is also attached with this post.
Reply 3
I'd have said the amplitude was 0.5m :s-smilie:

Is the bit cut off the solution image of any relevance? It's possible they typo'd the question, so AC is supposed to be 2.4m
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hopple
I'd have said the amplitude was 0.5m :s-smilie:

Is the bit cut off the solution image of any relevance? It's possible they typo'd the question, so AC is supposed to be 2.4m

Thanks for your reply.
I have included the cut part of the solution now. So can you ensure me what the correct answer is?

Please reply because my exam is tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 5
Yeah, it must be a typo. Their steps are correct, even if their numbers aren't - they probably meant AC should be 2.4m, which would put the starting rest position 0.4m from the equilibrium position and then everything else works.
Reply 6
Original post by Hopple
Yeah, it must be a typo. Their steps are correct, even if their numbers aren't - they probably meant AC should be 2.4m, which would put the starting rest position 0.4m from the equilibrium position and then everything else works.

Thanks, this example from the book just confused all my previous concepts.

Quick Reply

Latest