The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY UNIT 2 HIGHER CHY2H January 2012 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by aimes12

Original post by aimes12
hey i think it was filtration as it was a solid precipitate

Aaah, my bad, no worries, I think I only dropped 3 or 4 marks maximum, so hopefully I will get 100/100UMS. By the way I put for the last question - As The Layers built up, the touch screen will become more unresponsive - Is that right to anyone?
Original post by StateSchooler95
Yesterday today one of my science teachers said that in the exam, only the stuff that is wrote on the dotted line is read. Is this true? Otherwise ive ****ed it.

I doubt thats true.. The only thing thats not counted is the writing outside the border..
Reply 162
Original post by StateSchooler95
Yesterday today one of my science teachers said that in the exam, only the stuff that is wrote on the dotted line is read. Is this true? Otherwise ive ****ed it.

if that is true then so have i. but i have a fealing that they have to mark everything that you write
Reply 163
Someone tell me that evaporation was acceptable please! I ****ed up Thai paper, I got 100 in all mocks, souls I feel like my life is over? ;'(
Reply 164
Will this count for the last question? - As The Layers built up, the touch screen will become more unresponsive - Is that right to anyone?
Original post by Basit2010
I doubt thats true.. The only thing thats not counted is the writing outside the border..

He said only the dotted line is scanned to the examiner. Bull****?

Im going to ask my biology teacher tomorrow, she marks biology papers.
Reply 166
Original post by metaltron
b) He found the properties of aluminium and compared them to the properties of the previously discovered metals. He realised properties were different so must have been a new metal. (2)

For 1b do you think they would allow anything more specific? I put that he could pass an electrical current through to see if it was a metal, then could react it with non metals with known electronic structures and observe the compounds formed in order to check its electronic structure.
Reply 167
Original post by sorax123
For 1b do you think they would allow anything more specific? I put that he could pass an electrical current through to see if it was a metal, then could react it with non metals with known electronic structures and observe the compounds formed in order to check its electronic structure.

I suppose that would tell you which group it is in but there has to be some mention of different properties to all other known metals to get both marks
Reply 168
Original post by aimes12
hey i think it was filtration as it was a solid precipitate

I suppose it couldn't be electrolysis then as this requires free ions. Damn
Multiple layers of atoms won't stop a screen being transparent, but the additional layers will rub off easily, making them unnecessary as they don't make it any better.
Reply 170
I suppose that would tell you which group it is in but there has to be some mention of different properties to all other known metals to get both marks

What was Q1 a)ii) btw?
Also, for question 5b)ii, surely the fact that the nanoparticles have a greater surface area for the same volume is more significant?
Reply 172
Original post by pi-thagoras
Multiple layers of atoms won't stop a screen being transparent, but the additional layers will rub off easily, making them unnecessary as they don't make it any better.

i put that i said that there are weak intermolcular forces between the layers so they will rub off like graphite on a pencil do you think that is right?
Original post by aimes12
i put that i said that there are weak intermolcular forces between the layers so they will rub off like graphite on a pencil do you think that is right?

I believe so, that was the point I made.
Reply 174
Original post by aimes12

Both answers are correct I would think, I'll add it to the mark scheme:smile: However I am not convinced about the surface area answer for the nanoparticles question. It's all about making the surface smooth so filling in the cracks!
Particles are tiny.
Reply 176
Both answers are correct I would think, I'll add it to the mark scheme:smile: However I am not convinced about the surface area answer for the nanoparticles question. It's all about making the surface smooth so filling in the cracks!

i think the question was why would nanoparticles conduct heat better, i put surface area but i understand where you are coming from
Reply 177
Original post by pi-thagoras
Particles are tiny.

Was that a reply to my statement. If so.... nanoparticles are smaller so they can fill in the gaps between the particles making the surface smoother (this point is almost certainly correct i think as there has been no serious protest apart from from you!)

The only part of the surface important is the part which is touching the processor so therefore having a large surface area would necessarily help. Like putting two pieces of paper on top of each other or loads of small squares of paper on top of a normal piece of paper. It makes no difference! However if you can argue your point clearly then I will certainly put it on the mark scheme for you :smile:
Was that a reply to my statement. If so.... nanoparticles are smaller so they can fill in the gaps between the particles making the surface smoother (this point is almost certainly correct i think as there has been no serious protest apart from from you!)

The only part of the surface important is the part which is touching the processor so therefore having a large surface area would necessarily help. Like putting two pieces of paper on top of each other or loads of small squares of paper on top of a normal piece of paper. It makes no difference! However if you can argue your point clearly then I will certainly put it on the mark scheme for you :smile:

Was that first part a question?
I'm kidding, but the advantage of the larger surface area is faster transfer of heat, so that would be a relevant answer.
Reply 179
Original post by sorax123
What was Q1 a)ii) btw?

Why did the reaction need heating vigorously or something like that

Quick Reply

Latest