The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Becoming a loner, failing all the work and spending all my money on useless things resulting in me starving to death.
Reply 101
Mostly the money aspect tbh, worried that I'll be eating the worst food imaginable, and since I'm a pretty fussy eater, this may be a problem.
Meeting new folk for the first time aswell, I'm not shy or anything, just worried as to what people will think of me
Not making any friends -i'm too shy around new people and can never keep a convo going on for long without and awkward silence- and not being able to cope with the course.
(edited 12 years ago)
yeahh like everyone else, failing to make friends/people thinking i'm weird/stuck hanging round with people I don't like blah blah, also being much stupider than everyone else.
Still failing to find people my age that prefer drinking a glass of whiskey straight and listening to some good blues albums , than drinking WKD and listening to anything in the charts.

also starting a cake appreciation society and not having any members because by the second term we're all too fat to make it to meetings.
not getting into the uni :frown:
budgeting, as by the looks of it i will have to live on little money :frown:
work load, as i can't deal with stress, it makes me sad :frown:
being the stupid one in the lectures not knowing anything at the start. :frown:

suprisingly, i'm very talkative and i love making friends, so i'm excited to meet new people
and i don't think i'm going to miss home too much, can't wait for uni tbf
and i'm not a bad cook, so another positive

hopefully the positives will take over from the negatives, as atm i'm stressed about everything, :frown: ergh why can't just october hurry up when we are all happily settling into the universities ?? lol
Reply 106
That being away from home, looking after myself, making all these friends from scratch, having an intense course, trying to balance work with ECs with going out, etc., will be such a shock to my system that I get increasingly closer to a full mental breakdown and, in an attempt to combat this, develop a drink problem.
Reply 107
Original post by Misskatie7
not getting into the uni :frown:
budgeting, as by the looks of it i will have to live on little money :frown:
work load, as i can't deal with stress, it makes me sad :frown:
being the stupid one in the lectures not knowing anything at the start. :frown:

suprisingly, i'm very talkative and i love making friends, so i'm excited to meet new people
and i don't think i'm going to miss home too much, can't wait for uni tbf
and i'm not a bad cook, so another positive

hopefully the positives will take over from the negatives, as atm i'm stressed about everything, :frown: ergh why can't just october hurry up when we are all happily settling into the universities ?? lol

yeah thats my biggest worry atm! Im terrified I won't get into uni and end up doing nothing for a year :frown: Im good with stress it makes me work hard :smile: So work doesn't really worry me that much!

Im pretty shy :/ so i may find it a wee bit difficult making friends! but I'm gonna try my very best to stay confident!

I think overall excitement it taking over my fears! Im actually pretty excited to move away from home and get some independence! But I'm pretty close to the rents so that may be hard :colondollar:
people not being able to handle a prank or two... :ashamed2:
Original post by jgibson18
yeah thats my biggest worry atm! Im terrified I won't get into uni and end up doing nothing for a year :frown: Im good with stress it makes me work hard :smile: So work doesn't really worry me that much!

Im pretty shy :/ so i may find it a wee bit difficult making friends! but I'm gonna try my very best to stay confident!

I think overall excitement it taking over my fears! Im actually pretty excited to move away from home and get some independence! But I'm pretty close to the rents so that may be hard :colondollar:

stress makes me stupid if that makes sense. if i stress out then i don't answer questions properly and make silly mistakes :frown:

just remember everyone is going to be shy, well not everyone but the vast majority :smile: so you wouldn't be the only one, so just go with the flow is what i always say hehe.

and i know right, i'm sooooooooo excited, i cannot wait. and yeah the whole starting your own life thing makes me excited and happy. and i am too, but sometimes i wish i could just move now if you know what i mean :biggrin:
Budgeting - I'm terrible with money.
Not finding like-minded people.
I'm naturally very shy so I won't make friends easily.
I don't drink so I may be left out.
I may spend too must time procrastinating rather than working in a routine. Which is what I do too much now!
there are lot of good suggestion as well as information about the best one things.
in all something wrong and something is better.
Not making friends :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: (like everyone else) :cry2:

letting my drinking get out of control and gaining loads of weight :erm:
not being able to cope with Oxford :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Biggest fear, i dont wanna make too many friends :frown: that i get distracted from study
Original post by such_a_lady
My amazing first choice already does have that :wink: and Facebook :wink: ...aaand quite a few of us have met up in real life anyway, which is reassuring :tongue:

:awesome:
^ definitely being homesick and not making any friends.
Not making friends (seems to be a common theme hehe)
Not getting into university
Being the worst on my course
Being left out because I don't drink - might have the odd glass of wine/vodka and something now and then when I go to uni but I don't like being drunk, I'd rather be the one who looks after my housemates and makes sure they don't throw up all over the carpets or something :tongue:
Missing my family
Missing my dog :tongue:
Cooking
Sharing a bathroom - I've got IBS so I'm hoping I can get an en-suite.
Budgeting.

The biggest one of all - missing my boyfriend. Hopefully I'll only be a couple of hours drive away at the most but still... :cry2:
(edited 12 years ago)
First and foremost, not getting in.

Budgeting. I don't get much money from Student Finance because of how much my parents earn, but I have two siblings so it's not like they're going to be paying my way. Hoping to find a job before I start. I'm pretty good at living on a budget anyway.
Not making any friends. I'm terrible at making friends. That's my biggest worry.
I need to up my game at cooking as well.
Slightly worried I'll get flatmates I won't get along with but we'll see :smile:
Original post by madders94
Not making friends (seems to be a common theme hehe)
Not getting into university
Being the worst on my course
Being left out because I don't drink - the odd glass of wine/vodka and something now and then but I don't like being drunk, I'd rather be the one who looks after my housemates and makes sure they don't throw up all over the carpets or something :tongue:
Missing my family
Missing my dog :tongue:
Cooking
Sharing a bathroom - I've got IBS so I'm hoping I can get an en-suite.
Budgeting.

The biggest one of all - missing my boyfriend. Hopefully I'll only be a couple of hours drive away at the most but still... :cry2:

Yay! I'm not the only one xD
I don't drink either, nor do I really want to party all the time/go clubbing. I'm hoping that I'll find likeminded people at university.
Cooking should be alright for me. I'm just worried that I'll be too lazy to cook and just eat cereal all day, every day.
I'll definitely miss my dog. :sadpanda:
I'm also afraid of not being good enough or that the pressure will get too much.
I'm afraid of getting overwhelmed, really.
Reply 119
Not making lasting friendships, as i'm worried people wont get my sense of humor/ general personality, and struggling to gain independence involving things like cooking/budgeting etc

However my biggest fear is losing contact with my friends - sure we all claim "we'll visit", but when you're on a student budget and your friend is in Scotland it wont be as easy.

Quick Reply