The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Hey everyone :smile:

I'm due to start university in September 2012. I was just wandering what everyone's biggest fear was/is, about starting university?

Personally, my biggest fear is that I won't be able to cope without my family :colondollar:

Looking forward to hearing your replies :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

i couldn't cook, and still cant cook.
I was convinced i would starve to death.

However, iceland ready meals solved all fears.
Reply 2
Mine is that I will not make any friends.. :cry2::cry2::cry2: and that I find the workload too much.
Reply 3
Mine was having no friends. Oh, how true that has become...
And also getting too drunk and lying in a gutter somewhere. That hasn't happened actually; if anything, uni teaches you your limits and how to get pissed but stay safe!
Reply 4
when i first started. i was scared i would not register for the courses on time or that their is some registration i didnt do properly
Original post by jazzykinks
Mine was having no friends. Oh, how true that has become...

:frown: one of mine was making an enemy on the first term.
I never seem to find enemies.
And now i have to avoid sitting certain places in lectures, certain groups of people and certain social events to avoid that awkward, oh hey...you hate me.
When I first started I was incredibly introverted and was worried everyone would get on with things and ignore me.

But my housemates did their best to include me in Freshers' fortnight and I've never looked back since.

It sounds difficult for most, but my motto for Uni life is 'get involved'.
Reply 7
I thought I was going to get homesick, but ironically I find that a 25 minute or so conversation on skype once a week is enough.

I also thought that the halls were going to be as noisy as a club 24/7, which is definitely wrong. You do get slamming doors though.

Original post by marcusmerehay
When I first started I was incredibly introverted and was worried everyone would get on with things and ignore me.

But my housemates did their best to include me in Freshers' fortnight and I've never looked back since.

It sounds difficult for most, but my motto for Uni life is 'get involved'.

Agreed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I was terrified about the communal toilets. I was imagining someone ****ting while I was in the shower or vice versa and I was really dreading it!!! I didn't want to ruin anyone's shower, with that stuff, you know? Anyway, as it turns out, most people have the common sense to not have a shower when someone's doing a smelly **** or to use the other bathroom on the corridor. :P

It sounds really weird admitting that, it's not like I've got bowel issue or anything, just that I like to poop in privacy :s-smilie:
99% of people will say not making friends

everyone in freshers/first couple of weeks is bricking it about being alone
Another for not making friends. Even my mum told me she was concerned I wouldn't make any friends (I had a pretty unique situation coming to uni that takes a while to explain).

However, I have loads of friends so it's fine :h:
Reply 11
Not making any friends because I literally hate clubbing and getting drunk. I know there are many people like me, but normally you get to know most people in freshers' week and this is supposed to be all about getting drunk and partying until the morning ... :frown:
Reply 12
I'll be on my own as I'm crap at making friends.
Having no friends (glad to see I'm not the only one)
Being the 'stupid' one
Really not fitting in...
Struggling with the work
Being lonely
Getting too drunk and doing something incredibly embarrassing really early on
Reply 14
Making friends, mostly. But I can deal with being on my own for the most part. So my second worry is food!
At the moment:
That I won't get in to my first choice.. :cry:

But I'll probably be worrying about making friends as everyone else or I won't get along with who I live with... :tongue:
Having zero social life because I won't be 18 until the end of the first term/making no friends/failing the course/running out of money because I suck at budgeting/dying of starvation because I can't cook/being stuck on a train in the middle of nowhere when I'm trying to get home/going to jail for stabbing my annoying flatmate/being stabbed by my flatmate for being annoying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by XxelliexX
Having no friends (glad to see I'm not the only one)
Being the 'stupid' one
Really not fitting in...
Struggling with the work
Being lonely
Getting too drunk and doing something incredibly embarrassing really early on

This wasn't my worry because I didn't plan to get that drunk (how naive of me) but I can safely say that everyone does embarassing things when drunk and even if you don't know people that well it just becomes a funny memory and they don't think any less of you :smile:

Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Having zero social life because I won't be 18 until the end of the first term/making no friends/failing the course/running out of money because I suck at budgeting/dying of starvation because I can't cook/being stuck on a train in the middle of nowhere when I'm trying to get home/going to jail for stabbing my annoying flatmate/being stabbed by my flatmate for being annoying.

I have a friend that turned 18 mid October and she was ok, just did a lot of pre drinking and mainly stuck to the student union :smile:

My worries were mainly about not getting on with my flatmates and not making friends. Some of my flatmates are now my closest friends :biggrin:
I was scared that I'd be incredibly homesick, wouldn't make any friends, and wouldn't be able to do the work. I'm in third year, coped fine living on my own, made some of the best friends I've ever had, and will be graduating with at least a 2:1 unless something goes badly wrong between now and then!
I didn't have any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending