Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Killer whales in captivity: your opinions?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Killer whales in captivity: is it fair?
    Yes
    5.26%
    No
    88.16%
    I have no opinion.
    6.58%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Similar to abc , I don't know enough about this subject to make a sound judgement, like most people here. My view would be heavily biased to the pro-release side simply because I've never seen a defence for keeping them locked up.

However, I do await serial animal testing defender NoFuture's posts in here with eager anticipation.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found this picture on the internet of a tank in Miami Seaquarium. A pair of manatees live in this pool, and as you can see, it's too small for them. For two years, this was the home of a seven-metre killer whale bull called Hugo, who died in 1990 I believe. Who else feels claustophobic?
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poor manatee.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	133577  
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemicalBond)
    I found this picture on the internet of a tank in Miamia Seaquarium. A pair of manatees live in this pool, and as you can see, it's too small for them. For two years, this was the home of a seven-metre killer whale bull called Hugo, who died in 1990 I believe. Who else feels claustophobic?
    That's incredibly sad... How sad it is that we need to place a fence around those animals that need protecting, Im no saying im against zoos or parks but I just wish there was a better solution. But as you say very claustophobic...I cant stand seeing birds in particular stuck in cages. These animals should be free in the wild, but I can see that the only way to save their species is to get people's interest and keep them in captivity in some cases.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemicalBond)
    I found this picture on the internet of a tank in Miamia Seaquarium. A pair of manatees live in this pool, and as you can see, it's too small for them. For two years, this was the home of a seven-metre killer whale bull called Hugo, who died in 1990 I believe. Who else feels claustophobic?
    God that is awful.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    While I don't think it's fair keeping a whale in what is the size equivilent of a shoebox. I will say though that the initial act of doing so did a lot of good for the species. They were initially viewed by the public at large as savage killers, but as people saw them public opinion changed and now the general public view them as beautiful creatures that they are.

So while not fair now issues like this are rarely black and white.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No it is definitely not fair....

Killer whales have a huge amount of problems in captivity: lack of mental stimulation and health problems (drilling teeth etc) are the most common, but there are many more...

Just try not to get me started on this topic - it makes me sick! How could anyone keep such a majestic animal enclosed in a small concrete tank? Any tank - no matter how large - is NOTHING compared to the ocean.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Orcas may travel 125-200 km per day"

http://www.cms.int/reports/small_cet...rca/o_orca.htm

Is it fair to keep them in what can generously described as a 50m tank in diameter? They can usually travel 4000 times that distance in a day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Far too many of these animals pine for the oceans and die of grief. These theme parks and other places that have them as featured attractions should be shut down.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am so so so against orcas and dolphins etc being in captivity. no matter how big the tank is it will NEVER be big enough for these massive creatures.

the reason their dorsels collapse in captivity is because their just isnt enough space.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    apparently one of the orcas from Free Willy was taken from the wild :'(
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am truely against the idea of animals in captivity, so this just sickens me tbh. I think what makes it worse is that they try to convince people that they are doing it for the "whales own good" when really, it's all about making money. Do you think if they wasn't making such a profit, they'd care about conservation and all the other issues they claim they support? I doubt it. And one thing I don't understand is the "they're endangered so we must breed them in captivity" (I know this doesn't directly relate to the OP but still ...) So, keeping animals in tiny enclosures is a better option? I think not. It's sad to see animals die out (ironically usually due to hunting or other things inflicted by humans) but it's even sadder knowing that they are being bred and kept in cages/enclosures that are far too small just to "preserve the species" I mean, what good does it actually do? It's not like these are then released back into the wild (very rare)

Grr, this really gets me ranting!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe that captivity of such animals is more often than not a bad thing, they are so intelligent and sensitive, and their size alone is enough to pose problems. I don't think captivity would be so bad if they did not have to perform and make money for their establishments, and I really don't see the appeal of this 'entertainment' - if a mental institution got its patients to perform circus acts for the general public this would surely be seen as unethical, so why isn't this?
    However to all the people complaining and demanding the Orcas get released, do you realise that it is harder than it would seem? In the wild Orcas live in family groups (pods) and work as a team to hunt etc. If you released these killer whales back into the ocean, they would not be with their family and would probably die of starvation or even loneliness.

I feel us humans have created a lose/lose situation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I believe that instead of showing these unfortunate animals in monotonous routines every day, they should rehabilitate sick dolphins and other cetaceans and then release then back to the wild...

Anyone who thinks dolphins belong in captivity or likes them in captivity is either not educated or has no humanity....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.