The Student Room Group

Firming and insuring courses at the same uni with same offer?

I'm considering putting down my firm and insurance choices on ucas for 2 different courses at Manchester even though they've conditionally offered me the same for each one. My heart is set on Manchester and I'd be equally happy to study either of these courses. One of the courses (the one which I shall firm) will involve studying two new languages from scratch whereas the second one only involves the single honours study of one. I'm just wondering if, due to this, I miss my offer by a few marks or a grade there'll a chance of getting onto the single honours course instead as it'll be far less intense than my first choice. Or should I just take the hint with the offers I've received from Manchester and insure with another university that gave me a lower offer?

Also wondering if anyone else has experiences with having firm/insurance choices for courses at the same uni or with the same grades?
Reply 1
Insure with a uni thats given you a lower offer.

If youre unlucky and dont get the grades, youll have to go through clearing and probably end up at a "lesser" uni than you probably would have planned.
Single honours may be less likely than joint.
Original post by Samuelv-37
I'm considering putting down my firm and insurance choices on ucas for 2 different courses at Manchester even though they've conditionally offered me the same for each one. My heart is set on Manchester and I'd be equally happy to study either of these courses. One of the courses (the one which I shall firm) will involve studying two new languages from scratch whereas the second one only involves the single honours study of one. I'm just wondering if, due to this, I miss my offer by a few marks or a grade there'll a chance of getting onto the single honours course instead as it'll be far less intense than my first choice. Or should I just take the hint with the offers I've received from Manchester and insure with another university that gave me a lower offer?

Also wondering if anyone else has experiences with having firm/insurance choices for courses at the same uni or with the same grades?

It would be safer to have an insurance with a lower offer just in case, but it's ultimately up to you. With regards to if you missed the offer, then you might not get into the course (and I would really assume that this would be the case). They may allow you onto it with a slightly lower offer, but this isn't guaranteed and nor should you assume that just because you miss the offer you may get accepted nonetheless because the chances are that you won't.

My insurance's offer was higher than my firm choice's offer. Thankfully I got in my firm choice, but it's a risky move and unless you're sure that you want to go to the firm and unless you're fairly confident that you'll get into your firm and hit their offer, then I would be extremely cautious about doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending