The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I take - wanting to be a Primary Teacher.

Hello, Hola, Bonjour.

I'm currently a Year 11 Student, in the middle of my GCSEs. And i'm at the time where I need to choose my A-Levels. Ironically, I've already applied for my Sixth form. But we'll get into that in a short time. I want to become a Primary Teacher.

So i've chosen: Maths, English Language, Psychology and RE: Philosophy and Ethics.

However, i've since wanted to choose Physics. So it's either RE or Psychology that i'm going to have to drop (if I choose to take Physics).

The reason I want to take Psychology is because it seems really interesting. And, I know you're not supposed to but, the Teacher I would have is a really good and funny teacher. However, i've spoken to AS level students of Psychology, and they say that they really dislike as it's really boring and not what they expected. Have the chance, they would drop it right now.

The reason I want to take Philosophy and Ethics is because I like to discuss things and get into debates. Also, it interests me highly. Furthermore, I was thiking [If I like it] taking it at University level. However the reason I don't want to take it is, i've read, it's not really a respected A-Level.

So, as I don't know what I want to do at Degree level, i'm abit stuck,

So, what do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance,
NYRengaaaa
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't do English Language. Take English Literature instead.
Reply 2
Sorry, i don't enjoy English Literature therefore I won't be taking it.
Reply 3
I'd definitely go for Philosophy rather than Psychology. It's probably not respected as it's relatively new, but you're probably going to do better in it than Psychology if you know you enjoy discussions and debates already. An A in Philosophy is going to look better than a B in Psychology.
Reply 4
Original post by Luna.
I'd definitely go for Philosophy rather than Psychology. It's probably not respected as it's relatively new, but you're probably going to do better in it than Psychology if you know you enjoy discussions and debates already. An A in Philosophy is going to look better than a B in Psychology.

Not necessarily. Depending on the specification, psychology could be very useful.
Reply 5
Original post by dean1210
Not necessarily. Depending on the specification, psychology could be very useful.

Wait, what's not necessarily?
Reply 6
I'd suggest taking Maths, English Language, Physics and Psychology. That way, you have a rounded education, with maths, English and a science, and also have a subject about, effectively, the study of people (handy if you're wanting to go into primary teaching in my opinion).
I can't really comment on Psychology, as I don't do it, but my 2 best friends do and they both really like it. Physics, on the other hand is amazing! :biggrin: And maths is, well, challenging. Okay if you're good at it though. Good luck with your choices!
Reply 7
Original post by Luna.

I agree with Luna, everyone i've spoken to about psychology hates it because it's all theories etc. but most people like philosophy and ethics. And it's not always regarded as weak, it teaches you how to set forward arguments logically and express your own opinion, so it could provide you with good transferable. To be honest, you can't go wrong with Physics :smile:
Hmm I did Psychology and RE: Philosophy and Ethics for A-level. I also want to be a primary school teacher.

I'd say, Psychology is more interesting, and slightly easier. A lot of remembering, but if you do that quite easy, where as RE exams are more pot luck, you do study a LOT of philosophy too.
They are both about equally respected.
Psychology is much more sciencey, while RE is very abstract.
You will probably have discussions and debates in both if the teachers are any good.
But RE is a national curriculum subject, so maybe slightly better for teaching, however, after you've done your degree I don't think they will care about this, particularly as you have done other national curriculum subjects.
So er pick what you like more. Could you take 5 AS's? Then you could always drop one part way through the year if you dislike it :smile:

Oh also: I got to do like educational psychology at A2 which was useful for teaching kinda. I mean it wasn't that much for me as I also do it at degree, and in much more depth, but like if you we're going to do a science based degree, it would be useful to have that knowledge about children's development from A-level.
(edited 12 years ago)
It sounds like you'd like the Phil&Ethics a lot and it's not an unrespected subject. Pyschology - some students have said it's duller than it appears - could you maybe initially do it over P&E in the first few weeks and swap if it's too boring?
Maths and Physics are excellent A-levels to have... I wish I was good enough to do them :tongue:
English language is probably a pretty practical and useful choice; so it looks like trying to find out more about the true nature of Pysch is the way. Maybe check out the textbooks and past papers?
Good luck with whatever you choose! :smile:
I do both Psychology and Philosophy and Ethics, and would thoroughly recommend either.

I don't think Psychology is boring in the slightest - on the contrary, I think it's absolutely fascinating. I know a few people did drop it at the beginning of the year because they found it boring (but then, the same applies to a lot of subjects, at my school anyway). I think that if the topics your school does sound interesting to you, and you don't find the prospect of learning a lot of studies offputting, it's a good choice.

If you're thinking of possibly reading Philosophy at university, it would seem sensible to take it. Not because you need it - it's perfectly possible to get onto a Philosophy course without having taken it at A-Level, but there's obviously no harm in taking it, and it will help you decide whether or not to apply for a degree in it. I really enjoy it - very interesting content, and lots of opportunity for debate if that's what you like! I don't really know why people say it's not respected - I've never seen it on any uni blacklists (see here). It's more 'respected' than Psychology, actually, but personally I don't think that needs to be a deciding factor. :smile:

That isn't much help on which, if either, to swap for Physics, though. I would say look into the specific topics done on the syllabuses your future sixth form does - it might be that there's a particular part of one of the subjects that really catches your eye. Having a read through some textbooks might help you see which appeals more, too. Good luck with choosing! :smile:
Reply 11
I would take computing, further maths, maths and physics.

There are going to be a few asians out there so be prepared.
Reply 12
Thankyou for all your support etc, it's really appriciated. I think I will keep Philosophy and Ethics. I will have some words with my Physics teacher and ask him if he thinks I could do it. Hopefully i'll do well in Maths, which means i'll do well in Physics. So thanks and hope your Exams go well!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest