Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel a2 biology revision for the may/june 2012 exam :)

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqua05)
    aaaww... thanks so much !
    By the way what is the difference between accommodation and adaptation ??
    they seem so similar
    Accomodation and adaptation work at two different levels. Accomodation works at the level of neurotransmitter secretion, where vesicles can't regenerate more neurotransmitter to the next synapse. Adaptation works for at the receptor level where they get used to stimuli (generator potential decreases as impulses become more frequent)

Not sure if its right but this is what I learnt three weeks back.

Also can someone help me? Our teachers haven't taught us Unit 8 properly and Im afraid I might need help over everything in it. But theres no guide or site to help you with it. Can anyone please direct me to a good website or can help me with Unit 8? Thanks

One more thing: do people find the Personal Tutor (Clegg's) book helpful? It seems a lot of bullcrap written in it but it's helped me with mechanisms like macrophage as far as I know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at some past paper stuff for unit 5, is it just me or is half of it not in the specification at all.
    Has anyone else not even been given the article by their teachers yet or are mine just awfully bad?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spunky_Monkey)
    Just looked at some past paper stuff for unit 5, is it just me or is half of it not in the specification at all.
    Has anyone else not even been given the article by their teachers yet or are mine just awfully bad?
    I know right
    It's more application though...we really have to think about the underlying topics when doing these questions
    There's a thread which has the article on it, just type into the search: edexcel biology article
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer topic 8 to topic 7

err try khanacademy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    I know right
    It's more application though...we really have to think about the underlying topics when doing these questions
    There's a thread which has the article on it, just type into the search: edexcel biology article
    I downloaded the article myself in the end from edexcel, its just annoying how my schools left us in the dark!
    Hmm I usually find the papers pretty easy but I just don't seen to understand any of this one even though I know pretty much all of the syllabus.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or has anyone else realised that you cant prepare answers except practicals for Unit 5 questions?? ...

Like for other units e.g you can prepare answers on speciation , succession and other short questons..it just doesnt work for unit 5 does it
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please post some questions for the scientific article?? pleaseeee!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ih8edexcel!)
    they are too many ill upload them once i get time
    Hey I recognise you from the Unit 4 Edexcel bio thread, how did you do in that exam in the end can I ask??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have had to print the article off in our own time, and our teachers still haven't even so much as mentioned anything about it yet. I'm so panicked, it's a third of the paper, why aren't they giving any guidance?! :zomg:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    We have had to print the article off in our own time, and our teachers still haven't even so much as mentioned anything about it yet. I'm so panicked, it's a third of the paper, why aren't they giving any guidance?! :zomg:
    That seems weird considering the weighting the article has! Plus I would have thought that Edexcel would have notified each centre to let them know that the article can be distributed to candidates. Well at least you've got it and can start highlighting/making notes and linking it to AS and A2 topics.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cetacea)
    That seems weird considering the weighting the article has! Plus I would have thought that Edexcel would have notified each centre to let them know that the article can be distributed to candidates. Well at least you've got it and can start highlighting/making notes and linking it to AS and A2 topics.
    I know that's what I thought :/ plus one of my teachers should not be in the job, she just makes us discuss topics in groups and do SNAB sheets/quizzes/mindmaps every lesson. Over the last 2 years she's only taught us twice, so unfair how much we have to teach ourselves :/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can any 1 plzz post the link containing Januray 2012 Question papers,Mark scheme and Examiner's report of Biology,chemistry,physics and Maths???? plzzzzzzz
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abrar_Higuain)
    Can any 1 plzz post the link containing Januray 2012 Question papers,Mark scheme and Examiner's report of Biology,chemistry,physics and Maths???? plzzzzzzz
    http://www.xtremepapers.com/communit...all-gce.11898/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey everybody im from hong kong and my school doesnt go GCE so im stuck with registering as a private candidate..

and i dont know half the stuff. photosynthesis, respiration and ecology are the only topics our school has covered so far..

besides a lot of stuff isnt in our local syllabus. so yeah, ive been using the SNAB thingy but why do i see so many topics appearing in the thread that i cannot find in the book? i wanna cry
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sooo much.......

Guys ne predictions what CORE PRACTICAL might come for this year's Unit 6 in question no 1????????
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please help me out in the humoral response,the effector stage and thecell mediated response in unit 4 please?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitriviolet)
    hey everybody im from hong kong and my school doesnt go GCE so im stuck with registering as a private candidate..

and i dont know half the stuff. photosynthesis, respiration and ecology are the only topics our school has covered so far..

besides a lot of stuff isnt in our local syllabus. so yeah, ive been using the SNAB thingy but why do i see so many topics appearing in the thread that i cannot find in the book? i wanna cry
    heeey there!
    What i would suggest is go over the A2 specification for biology..
    You should look at the stuff needed and then read the textbook... look for what you need to know and make short notes. that would definately help.! it has really helped me...
    Go over loads of past papers as well.. that would build up your confidence
    Good luck.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqua05)
    can anyone please help me out in the humoral response,the effector stage and thecell mediated response in unit 4 please?
    Well my tutor advised me to go through the text properly as it is quite clearly wriiten out there........
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any notes, potential questions or a glossary for the scientific article??
    PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    I prefer topic 8 to topic 7

err try khanacademy
    i didnt like topic 8 that much.. so many new things, i know that it will be easy after we get the idea of the action potentials synapses etc but i guess i dont get the idea yet..
    Khanacademy is cool i used it for biology unit 2 and it helped a lot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.