The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2200
Original post by oli_G
Is anyone else here pretty much having to teach themselves half the AS as their teachers haven't done it in class yet? :rolleyes:

Kinda sucks

This is pretty much my entire AS except for maths lol biochem teachers to read a whole module and basically self teach yourself... it's great -.-
Original post by TaraBelle
hahaaa, might want to find that out! have you done any mocks/past papers or anything?

I haven't got the CGP ones, I've got it for chemistry though- absolutely in love. Basic but enough to make you understand, and I actually find the jokes funny too :colondollar: I think the problem with maths for me is that when I'm doing it I get it, but when I go back to it after a while I've just completely forgotten it :frown:

We've got a booklet full of them, but I haven't done any! Yeah they're not bad, prefer the collins books myself. I knoooooow, and it's so frustrating, because you take 3 steps forward, and 3 steps back!

Original post by oli_G
Is anyone else here pretty much having to teach themselves half the AS as their teachers haven't done it in class yet? :rolleyes:

Kinda sucks

Tell me about it.

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
I have the CGP ones, borrow random other ones from the LRC all the time, and they are lifesavers!!! I've managed to get a few things sorted out on here or other sites but it's just insane.

Oh I am worried, really really worried, I've gone over the GCSE parts of those other topics so that at least I know something, but I'm dreading how quickly we're going to have to go through it all to get it done in time...we lose all our lessons next week for EMPA (I could rant about my chem teacher much more than I am doing!!! I've been to head of sixth loads about him, he's so close to being placed on capability, and college are really worried cos they have like a 99.9% pass rate and he's really jeopardising that for them, 70% of the year group got U in the first exam and they've had more chem dropouts this year than they have for the past 5 - he's new this year - sorta paints a bit of a picture really) and he so very rarely keeps us for the full 90 minutes so we lose so much teaching time anyway it's always a miracle that we get ANYTHING done!! /rant

Umm, nope ours do too, bio turns into poster making sessions, physics is the only subject we do actual stuff up till the exam, and chem, well chem we tend to literally just finish the syllabus the week before so just go over a past paper really quickly!!!

I have a ludicrous amount of notes, they need condensing now though so I can actually use them properly rather than just overloading my brain me thinks!!!

Hehe, totally, I really do wonder how she puts up with me, I'm in her office nearly every week for some reason or another!!!

Sounds like a dick. Well your doing all the right things anyway, so hopefully when it comes to his pathetic waste-of-time-lessons, you can see how poor is teaching is, be miles ahead anyway, and leave. I have a maths teacher, who came from a very poor college previously, and has come to work in a grammar school, and is failing incredibly. We like to move fast, he doesn't know how to spend less the 20 minutes on a question. I feel for ya!

I need to get my **** together, and find out what the hell is happening in this EMPA.
Reply 2202
Original post by erniiee
Haha how comes? :smile:

I just really like where the school is located and the atmosphere there! I went to the medical confence thing in year 11 and spoke to UCL undergrads there and they really were selling their school and it seemed like a nice place :smile: nice architecture as well! And the fact that you can go to many different places for elective! Plus I don't like the fact that Imperial heavily bases on BMAT when selecting people for their interviews, UCL's admission system whereas looks at the overall picture...at least that's what I've been told :tongue: but now I'm bending towards Imperial a lot... I think I have to visit Imperial to know what it's like and compare the place with UCL :smile:

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
BL's so much cheaper than UCL, my accom is only £110pw compared to their £180pw :colone:

I really like Barts as well and am intending to apply if they still keep the same admission system as 2012 cycle since that suits me :tongue: do you think they will?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oli_G
Hmm, i've got about 3 or 4 to go in chem as well. Are you on edexcel?

Nah, AQA, most of what we have left is supposed to be the simpler stuff, but I still worry how we're going to get it all done, looking at the spec there's quite a lot of it left to do :/
Original post by erniiee

Wow, thanks. Thats very helpful :biggrin: I'm going to the Imperial open day, but I can't make the UCL one, so gonna have to do a self guided tour.

Do Imperial do cadaver dissections?

No problem :smile:

Imperial do dissection, UCL do prosection afaik
Reply 2205
Original post by Future_Dr
Yeah thats what I mean, in an interview. thanks

ahh cool
Reply 2206
Hey did anyone get an email from Imperial relating to their open day? It's just that I've booked it and they haven't got back to me through email confirming that they've received my application; and they said that they will on their website ? (And give us proper answer through royal mail hmmm in three weeks)
Reply 2207
Original post by chiny94
Hey did anyone get an email from Imperial relating to their open day? It's just that I've booked it and they haven't got back to me through email confirming that they've received my application; and they said that they will on their website ? (And give us proper answer through royal mail hmmm in three weeks)

I didn't. I got a letter through the door addressed to me
Original post by chiny94

I went to the Feb open day and never got an email.
Reply 2209
Original post by Pride
I didn't. I got a letter through the door addressed to me

Really? I'm a bit worried now since I applied on the same day it opened for application.. So should I apply again? :frown:

Original post by SaintSoldier
I went to the Feb open day and never got an email.

Reall? Hmm how was the open day? Was it really useful?! :smile:
Hey guys, when filling out the 'Occupational Health Form' for work experience it asks you whether you're receiving any 'medical treatment for any medical condition'. What does it mean by this?

What if you were taking general antibiotics for a cold(?) or tablets for a stomach ache for example, would you have to answer 'yes' for the above question or are they asking for more serious long term health conditions?

Reason i'm asking is that it'll take a further 6-8 weeks to get clearance if I do put down that i'm receiving treatment for something :s-smilie:
Original post by chiny94

Reall? Hmm how was the open day? Was it really useful?! :smile:

Yeh it was pretty good, although I turned about almost 2 hrs late and had to walk out half way through a lecture as I almost missed my train :tongue:

Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Hey guys, when filling out the 'Occupational Health Form' for work experience it asks you whether you're receiving any 'medical treatment for any medical condition'. What does it mean by this?

What if you were taking general antibiotics for a cold(?) or tablets for a stomach ache for example, would you have to answer 'yes' for the above question or are they asking for more serious long term health conditions?

Reason i'm asking is that it'll take a further 6-8 weeks to get clearance if I do put down that i'm receiving treatment for something :s-smilie:

If you have a health problem now, that you will still have when you do the work experience, then put it down.

Eg. A cold you caught now will have gone by the time you do your work experience. But something like epilepsy (just an example! :tongue:) clearly will stay with you, as you would have had it for most of your life.

If you have a health problem now, that you will still have when you do the work experience, then put it down.

Eg. A cold you caught now will have gone by the time you do your work experience. But something like epilepsy (just an example! :tongue:) clearly will stay with you, as you would have had it for most of your life.

Ah I see - makes sense now. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 2213
Yeh it was pretty good, although I turned about almost 2 hrs late and had to walk out half way through a lecture as I almost missed my train :tongue:

ah sounds fun! :tongue: damn those train times :/ and well I hope they received my application since this isn't the first time where my computer has mucked up so the university didn't get any application from me! Well I've emailed them so hopefully they will reply with a yes or no :biggrin:

Does anyone know if UCL has any intention of placing orders for their 2013 prospectuses? I've tried to look for them for ages but still I can't find any order forms? :colondollar:
Original post by chiny94
Does anyone know if UCL has any intention of placing orders for their 2013 prospectuses? I've tried to look for them for ages but still I can't find any order forms? :colondollar:

We didn't get a prospectus on th open day, so maybe they haven't printed it yet
okay so i was looking on the UCL website and its says 'contrasting arts' .... what does that mean :L
I've been to both open days, and here's what I observed:

Imperial
Cheaper accomm (£120 per week) BL is cheaper
Accomm is literally next to the medical school, you could walk it in less than a minute
Slightly (but only very slightly) more studious atmosphere Studious everywhere, if you feel you need more head to the library..
You get your graduation ceremony done in the Royal Albert Hall :colone: Assuming you'll graduate
If you like the Arts then it's near all the West End theatres etc If you like arts then you'll travel on the tube to get there...
Hyde Park is on your doorstep
Lots of Ethnic minorites (dunno whether that's a good or a bad thing tbh :tongue:) It's medical school
It's quite a trek away from the tube station
Most people get private accomm after the 1st year, and they usually get it within walking distance from the uni You'll probably pay a lot more than £120 incl. bills for that
Exams done throughout the year

UCL
Atmosphere was more relaxed Wait until exams...
Close to the tube station
Halls can be a bit far eg in Camden but there is some nearby as well, just depends on where you get allocated
Private accomm after 1st year is usually 25mins by bus
Accomm is more expensive
All exams done at the end of the year THIS IS BAD! A LOT RIDING ON THOSE EXAMS (IMO)
If you fail, you have to do ALL exams (even the ones you passed) a few weeks later. If you fail any of those exams (even the ones you passed first time round), then you get kicked out. So they're quite strict on that.
Broad range of SSCs and elective locations to go to - electives in final year tend to be arranged by yourself regardless of medical school, unless you're talking about placements.
Quite competitive (in terms on when you're actually in the medical school)

And that's all i can think of for now :smile:

Analysed :colone:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Analysed :colone:

Well yeh this is assuming that we graduate, but then again this whole analysis is on the assumption that we will get into UCL and/or Imperial - both of which are very competitive.

I did notice that there were distinctly more Asian/Black people at Imperial than UCL (possibly because of their more academic selection procedure?). Having said that, BL takes ethnic diversity to a whole new level :colone:

Btw, is it ok if I do a self guided tour of Barts? Will they mind? Seeing as they don't have an open day, and I'm allowing the QM one because it'll just be really generalised....

Yeh true, I didn't ask about the pricing of private accomm on the open day. Although I suppose if there's like 6/7 of you in a house/large flat then the price may come down a little once you divide it up between you.

I know, I meant it to sound bad.

UCL emphasised on the open day that they have a much better elective system than other medical schools. They said that they have the largest selection of places to go. They even went as far as saying that there probably isn't a hospital on the planet that a UCL medic hasn't been too.

And also, we have a family friend who was a UCL medic (graduated 2yrs ago I think) and he was really happy that he got to go to South Africa for his elective, but as you said I don't know whether that was due to him arranging it or UCL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2218
We didn't get a prospectus on th open day, so maybe they haven't printed it yet

Hmmm this is peculiar! Anyway I'm well tired after my favourite ward work experience! Geriatrics :biggrin: have you done any w/e? :smile:
Original post by chiny94
Hmmm this is peculiar! Anyway I'm well tired after my favourite ward work experience! Geriatrics :biggrin: have you done any w/e? :smile:

Erm yeh I've done 2 weeks in a GP surgery and a week in Orthopaedics.

Latest

Trending

Trending