The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2460
It's a really stupid way of assessing applicants. As if those with a few extra A*s are somehow better :facepalm:
Original post by oli_G
It's a really stupid way of assessing applicants. As if those with a few extra A*s are somehow better :facepalm:

But then you could say the same about the UKCAT - people who can pick which shapes match faster are somehow better :wink:
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Hmm... Do you know their AS grades? They could of course have had a poor personal statement (not saying they do, just saying it's a possibility :tongue:)... Idk.

Both had 4As at AS (and one was going to pick up an extra AS in his A2 year, but I dunno if Birmingham would look at that)
Original post by Natalie21
But its a different type of risk because they explicitly say then only want people with 8A*s.

No idea why some with 7 got through this year - maybe they realised the flaw in their admissions that people with 7A* or lower can be better than those with 8A*+, but I don't know...

Actually they ask for 7A*s, that's why I was considering it

Original post by SaintSoldier
Both had 4As at AS (and one was going to pick up an extra AS in his A2 year, but I dunno if Birmingham would look at that)

Hmm... I hate it when universities' admission criteria are really ambiguous

Ooh really! Didn't they put it upto 8 halfway through the UCAS process last year?
Reply 2465

it changes. It has been 8 before, they said it was due to 'a particularly competitive cycle'
Reply 2466
Original post by oli_G

it's just a lazy way of cutting the workload, reducing the number of people to consider for interview. Just like any cutoff, UKCAT, AS grades, they're all ways to reduce the number of applications to look through.
Haha same plus the cost of transport for 2 days :///

Last year I went on the day with Example, Tinie Tempah, Bruno Mars, Plan B and Black Eyed Peas on the main stage who were amazinggg!!! Hopefully yes :smile:

I was six rows from the front so I got crushed :P

Ah yea :/

Ohhh sounded so good :sogood:

Haha, no doubt it would have been packed there :wink:

Original post by fletchdd02
I'm getting worried about my AS grades now :frown:

I think i'll end up with AAAC or worse :frown:

Aww :frown: why are you so worried? And btw, I don't remember asking you what you got in your GCSEs - you were the one who was predicted straight As rather than A*s because of the school having some weird policy on A*s...IIRC? :tongue:

Original post by SWBL
Feeling extremely sorry for myself seeing you all talk about study leave. Not only do I have none, but I also have 13 exams because my college refuse to do january exams. It's like they want as many people to fail as possible :s

Aw :frown: :tongue:

Original post by AtomicMan
Nah, too far away for me, ill poke around the website though

Ah okay, I think I'm gonna apply there so definitely going to have a visit :smile:

But its a different type of risk because they explicitly say then only want people with 8A*s.

No idea why some with 7 got through this year - maybe they realised the flaw in their admissions that people with 7A* or lower can be better than those with 8A*+, but I don't know...

They are so ambiguous - in their prospectus they say 7 A*s for 2013 entry! :confused:
Original post by oli_G

I wouldn't call it stupid to be honest, just another hoop to jump through. And it actually makes life easier for some when thinking of applying to their strengths - that's why I might apply to B'ham :smile:

But then you could say the same about the UKCAT - people who can pick which shapes match faster are somehow better :wink:

I couldn't agree more!
Reply 2468
Original post by erniiee
Aww :frown: why are you so worried? And btw, I don't remember asking you what you got in your GCSEs - you were the one who was predicted straight As rather than A*s because of the school having some weird policy on A*s...IIRC? :tongue:

I'm worried because I need to do well with the increasing competitiveness. Plus it's a requirement to get a minimum of a B for some uni's.

My GCSEs were pretty poor, I got 4A* 6A 1B :\

Yeah that was my school :frown:
Original post by fletchdd02
I'm worried because I need to do well with the increasing competitiveness. Plus it's a requirement to get a minimum of a B for some uni's.

My GCSEs were pretty poor, I got 4A* 6A 1B :\

Yeah that was my school :frown:

I think you need to cheer up :smile: be more positive! I think if you work hard from now to the exam day, you can still get a B if thats what you're aiming for! Just prioritise!

Those aren't poor at all! Those are great GCSEs, just apply to your strengths! :smile:

Aha okay, I remembered you posting in the first thread about that :tongue: :L
Reply 2470
Original post by Pride
it's just a lazy way of cutting the workload, reducing the number of people to consider for interview. Just like any cutoff, UKCAT, AS grades, they're all ways to reduce the number of applications to look through.

Couldn't agree more. They should take a more holistic approach IMO.

Original post by erniiee

I wouldn't call it stupid to be honest, just another hoop to jump through. And it actually makes life easier for some when thinking of applying to their strengths - that's why I might apply to B'ham :smile:

It just seems to me that the difference between getting mainly As and mainly A*s is pretty irrelevant when there are so many other things to somebody than that. For example, AS UMS is much better at showing weaker and stronger candidates, which is probably why UCL/Cambridge seem to use it. Although I respect that they do need to cut down on numbers and it is more fair to use that than, say, the letter your name starts with :P

----

Also, does anyone know what the actual requirement is for B'ham 7 or 8A*s? :lol:
Reply 2471

Well arguably the UKCAT is more relevant to medicine than GCSEs - not that I don't respect people (like yourself) who got stellar results :smile:
Original post by erniiee
Ah yea :/

Ohhh sounded so good :sogood:

Haha, no doubt it would have been packed there :wink:

They are so ambiguous - in their prospectus they say 7 A*s for 2013 entry! :confused:

I couldn't agree more!

It was amazing!!! The second time I've seen Black Eyed Peas and I was closer in this 60,000 strong crowd than in the 5,000 at Hammersmith Apollo :P. And we got there 2 hours after the doors opened!!

How odd - I had never considered Birmingham before but if I fail the UKCAT I may apply :smile:

The UKCAT is a bloody joke tbh.
Original post by oli_G
Well arguably the UKCAT is more relevant to medicine than GCSEs - not that I don't respect people (like yourself) who got stellar results :smile:

That probably is true!!

Ooh shush I got like the same as you :P
Reply 2474
Original post by thegreenchildren
Original post by a rusH
Woah! That's terrible! Do you still have to go to lessons? :lolwut:

Yeah we still have to go to every single lesson ::s-smilie:

I think you should get everybody in your year and their parents to complain to your school- that's really unfair and could be really disruptive to your exam preparation!
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE="rusH;37354803" a="a"]
Original post by thegreenchildren

I think you should get everybody in your year and their parents to complain to your school- that's really unfair and could be really disruptive to your exam preparation!

haha i know but we they are still teaching us content (they're slow) and the school say no one will revise (very true). Oh well, I guess I will have to use my time at home wisely. :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G
Couldn't agree more. They should take a more holistic approach IMO.

It just seems to me that the difference between getting mainly As and mainly A*s is pretty irrelevant when there are so many other things to somebody than that. For example, AS UMS is much better at showing weaker and stronger candidates, which is probably why UCL/Cambridge seem to use it. Although I respect that they do need to cut down on numbers and it is more fair to use that than, say, the letter your name starts with :P

----

Also, does anyone know what the actual requirement is for B'ham 7 or 8A*s? :lol:

Yea I agree, although I think its a matter of opinion. Oh silly medicine requirements :'( why can't it be just like any other degree :tongue:

It was amazing!!! The second time I've seen Black Eyed Peas and I was closer in this 60,000 strong crowd than in the 5,000 at Hammersmith Apollo :P. And we got there 2 hours after the doors opened!!

How odd - I had never considered Birmingham before but if I fail the UKCAT I may apply :smile:

The UKCAT is a bloody joke tbh.

AAAH stop making me jel! aha, sounds mad!

Ooooo do they not make a big deal about the UKCAT then?
Original post by erniiee

AAAH stop making me jel! aha, sounds mad!

Ooooo do they not make a big deal about the UKCAT then?

I'm sorry I'll shut up now! :P

IIRC they don't look at it at all? :smile:

I was just reading a thread that said even if you have 8 or 9 a stars it is a big risk applying there as they change their policies mid cycle depending on the competition that year ://

Does anyone else feel like they are just going to wait and do the UKCAT then see where to apply based on the score?
I'm sorry I'll shut up now! :P

IIRC they don't look at it at all? :smile:

I was just reading a thread that said even if you have 8 or 9 a stars it is a big risk applying there as they change their policies mid cycle depending on the competition that year ://

Does anyone else feel like they are just going to wait and do the UKCAT then see where to apply based on the score?

Ehehe :tongue:

Really? Explains their nazi GCSE views :tongue:

Ah shizzle :/ yea I think I might have to do that. I'm thinking of sitting mine just before summer holidays begin..when are you thinking of doing it?
Original post by Gcayte
Yeah, my January results were pretty awful. :redface:

same :ashamed2:

Latest

Trending

Trending