The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
I'm in year 10 and thinking about doing medicine, i was wondering what grades for gcse and as and a2's you need and subjects etc..please
thank you :tongue:
Original post by radma
I'm in year 10 and thinking about doing medicine, i was wondering what grades for gcse and as and a2's you need and subjects etc..please

You need to do biology and chemistry for most unis apart from that it's up to you. The best way to ensure you get interviews is to ensure you stand out in either GCSEs/ UKCAT/ personal statement them apply to unis that put emphasis on it. So say you got 10 A*s at GCSE you should apply to Birmingham and Oxford or if you have months and months of volunteering you should apply to Manchester and Liverpool. If I was you I'd start emailing around asking for medical voluntary jobs for most you need to be 16 but if you email them now you'll be top of the waiting list by the time you're 16.
Reply 2602
Original post by TaraBelle
bristol are GCSE nazis? Oh no :frown:

I have a friend who goes to Leeds who got 7A*s at GCSE and got rejected by Bristol, and they told him it was because of his GCSE results :confused:
Original post by Hippokrates
if you have months and months of volunteering you should apply to Manchester and Liverpool.

Sounds like my type of application criteria - shame I'm not considering them :P
Original post by Natalie21
Sounds like my type of application criteria - shame I'm not considering them :P

Why not? The best thing you can do is apply strategically. What is your profile like? :smile:
Original post by radma

As high as you can get for GCSEs, they don't really matter unless you're applying to Oxford/B'ham/Bristol.

Typical offer is AAAb-ish for A levels, but again, the higher the better.
Hahahaha :P Love your "currently reading" section of your signature currently :wink:

haha, it's true though D;

managed to get most of my bio and chem re-revision done, maths tomorrow and then past papers alllll week :P
Reply 2607
Exams start a week on Tuesday, Argh!!!

Starting to worry now, they kind of decide if we're doing medicine or not! :frown:
Original post by fletchdd02
Exams start a week on Tuesday, Argh!!!

Starting to worry now, they kind of decide if we're doing medicine or not! :frown:

So true, Thats kinda worrying when what you want to do in life hinges on 10 days of exams :s
Original post by Boom533
haha, it's true though D;

managed to get most of my bio and chem re-revision done, maths tomorrow and then past papers alllll week :P

Nice :biggrin:

I just need to finish off my last flashcards and my last past papers :smile:

Why not? The best thing you can do is apply strategically. What is your profile like? :smile:

But I don't really like those cities.

Umm...

Spoiler

How about you?
I have a friend who goes to Leeds who got 7A*s at GCSE and got rejected by Bristol, and they told him it was because of his GCSE results :confused:

There must have been some other factors involved (eg work experience), because Bristol only look at the top 8 GCSEs anyway so the max that any applicant could have is 8A*s (and clearly most applicants have less than that).
Nice :biggrin:

I just need to finish off my last flashcards and my last past papers :smile:

But I don't really like those cities.

Umm...

Spoiler

How about you?

Wow that's really good. :smile: I guess you should go for places like Birmingham and PBL unis tend to be the volunteering lovers. I can understand Liverpool but why not Manchester? It's my first choice love the city mainly because I can see all the bands I want.

I have 7A*s, 4As, 2Bs and I did AS maths in January and got an A. I think the main strength in my application will be volunteering in a hospice and on MAU for over a year at the time of applying so I'm looking at places like Manchester, Nottingham, UEA and Liverpool. :smile: (fingers crossed)
Wow that's really good. :smile: I guess you should go for places like Birmingham and PBL unis tend to be the volunteering lovers. I can understand Liverpool but why not Manchester? It's my first choice love the city mainly because I can see all the bands I want.

I have 7A*s, 4As, 2Bs and I did AS maths in January and got an A. I think the main strength in my application will be volunteering in a hospice and on MAU for over a year at the time of applying so I'm looking at places like Manchester, Nottingham, UEA and Liverpool. :smile: (fingers crossed)

I don't particularly like Birmingham either though ://
I'm just into the big cities tbh.

I was hoping to apply to smaller cities like Bristol, Cambridge and Exeter... possibly Newcastle.

Awesome :biggrin:
Reply 2613
I don't particularly like Birmingham either though ://
I'm just into the big cities tbh.

I was hoping to apply to smaller cities like Bristol, Cambridge and Exeter... possibly Newcastle.

Newcastle as a smaller city? :tongue:
Newcastle as a smaller city? :tongue:

That was an extra at the end :P
Reply 2615

I was going to say, not my idea of a small town :rolleyes:

I think i'm doing Mencap in the summer which should be good and I'm on with organising my fourth week with trauma and orthopaedics at one of the national trauma centres! :biggrin:
I was going to say, not my idea of a small town :rolleyes:

I think i'm doing Mencap in the summer which should be good and I'm on with organising my fourth week with trauma and orthopaedics at one of the national trauma centres! :biggrin:

What particularly with Mencap?

4th week just in T and O or for w/e in general? :P

On a side note, Bristol has twice as many people as newcastle, and from my experience is pretty damn huge.
Reply 2618
What particularly with Mencap?

4th week just in T and O or for w/e in general? :P

A week looking after one of the severely disabled adults, its linked with where I volunteer on a Thursday night.

My second week in T and O, my 4th week in a hospital setting. T&O is definitely my favourite though, I love it!
Original post by Orinincandenza
On a side note, Bristol has twice as many people as newcastle, and from my experience is pretty damn huge.

You can tell I'm a geography student can't you :wink:

A week looking after one of the severely disabled adults, its linked with where I volunteer on a Thursday night.

My second week in T and O, my 4th week in a hospital setting. T&O is definitely my favourite though, I love it!

I love T and O - it's amazing isn't it! I did a week there in February and going back for a week in surgery in August :biggrin:

Latest