The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4660
Original post by ViceVersa
You ever thought about re-sitting and applying as a re-sit applicant? It will probably be easier to get into than Graduate medicine.

Why are you up so early? :hi:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Reply 4661
Original post by ViceVersa
You ever thought about re-sitting and applying as a re-sit applicant? It will probably be easier to get into than Graduate medicine.

True but many universities dont accept resit applicants :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Boom533
Quick question to any doctors/medics/anyone really...would you guys consider a stroke a disease? Or is it better to describe it as an illness?

Both, but with different meanings.

What I have been taught is that an illness is the patients perspective/interpretation of a disease (a disease being an objectively defined condition)

So in the case of a stroke:

The disease is damage to the brain, either by a clot or haemorrhage, but the illness is how this damage affects the patient; what functions are affected, whether the recover fully, and how long that takes etc.

Make sense?
Original post by Vulpes
Why are you up so early? :hi:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]

Hotel does breakfast really early :sadnod:

Original post by FuzzBuzz
True but many universities dont accept resit applicants :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

But some do, and it's worth a shot IMO :yes:
Original post by chiny94
T

Haha yeah :tongue: people are doubting whether adhd is a real medical condition but nevertheless, should be kinda fun :biggrin: you doing nuffield during summer then? :smile:

Hmm, it's actually a really interesting question, one interesting argument is that if you have a bellcurve of the populations attention span and hyperactivity, then diagnosing and treating ADHD is just like taking the bottom 20% and giving them drugs or CBT to bring them up to the same level as everyone else, i guess it's a wider problem with how we see mental illness but that's another whole thing...

Nope, doing an EPQ but not nuffield
Is anyone doing a Nuffield Nursary on here? I am doing one of Critical Care with work in the Pre-Operative Assesment Clinic. Should be fun and interesting :smile:

I spoke with the anaesthesist I will be working with/for and he says I may get to see an operation performed :biggrin:
Has anyone else/did anyone else ask for references from outside your sixth form from those who you may have worked for example so you can send them separately to your UCAS application?

If so, in your opinion is it worth it anyway and did it affect your application? If not, your thoughts in general.
Original post by AspiringGenius

I spoke with the anaesthesist I will be working with/for and he says I may get to see an operation performed :biggrin:

Heads up, it's AWESOME.:biggrin:
Original post by Orinincandenza
Heads up, it's AWESOME.:biggrin:

Yay! :party:

I've only watched through YouTube before (because I am a cool kid and that's what I spend my life doing :colondollar: )

I was going to watch it when I did some work experience in a hospital before, but because I was in Y9, I couldn't do much in clinical areas :cry2:
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Has anyone else/did anyone else ask for references from outside your sixth form from those who you may have worked for example so you can send them separately to your UCAS application?

If so, in your opinion is it worth it anyway and did it affect your application? If not, your thoughts in general.

My careers teacher suggested doing this - but she is very old fashioned. And most of my friends and teachers agreed that it was pretty "forward" and "pushy" if you know what I mean. Just our opinions though :smile:
Original post by Natalie21
My careers teacher suggested doing this - but she is very old fashioned. And most of my friends and teachers agreed that it was pretty "forward" and "pushy" if you know what I mean. Just our opinions though :smile:

I can see where you are coming from which is why I asked on here, I was kind of in two minds about it anyway. On one hand an external reference that supports your application can only help, even if in a very small way? But then again you could see it as being far to pushy as you put it.

Anyone else thought of this? Or anyone that is holding an offer/at university did it?
I can see where you are coming from which is why I asked on here, I was kind of in two minds about it anyway. On one hand an external reference that supports your application can only help, even if in a very small way? But then again you could see it as being far to pushy as you put it.

Anyone else thought of this? Or anyone that is holding an offer/at university did it?

Yeah I agree... not sure if I'm going to do it or not yet.

Most medical schools have a pretty stringent policy on what they consider when selecting candidates, so wouldn't look at more than one reference. I asked for references from work experience but just as a precaution.
Original post by Orinincandenza
Most medical schools have a pretty stringent policy on what they consider when selecting candidates, so wouldn't look at more than one reference. I asked for references from work experience but just as a precaution.

Yeah I'm aware, some of the universities will ask you to bring letters from work experience placements to essentially prove that you were there and you did what you did but I'm just curious even if its a small addition to an application it's worth having.

Yeah I agree... not sure if I'm going to do it or not yet.

Hmm. I'll have a chat with tutors/directors and maybe talk to one or two of my preferred universities to see what they say and then make a decision I think.

Hmm. I'll have a chat with tutors/directors and maybe talk to one or two of my preferred universities to see what they say and then make a decision I think.

Sounds like a plan - let us know what they say! What universities are you considering?
Sounds like a plan - let us know what they say! What universities are you considering?

Southampton, Kings, Newcastle, Peninsula's (Plymouth and Exeter) and Keele. All really dependent on the UKCAT obviously. Southampton is my preferred in ANY case though. :biggrin:

You?
Southampton, Kings, Newcastle, Peninsula's (Plymouth and Exeter) and Keele. All really dependent on the UKCAT obviously. Southampton is my preferred in ANY case though. :biggrin:

You?

Cambridge, Kings, Newcastle, UCL/ICL, or possibly Exeter :smile:

Dreading the UKCAT ://

Why do you like Southampton so much then?
Cambridge, Kings, Newcastle, UCL/ICL, or possibly Exeter :smile:

Dreading the UKCAT ://

Why do you like Southampton so much then?

There ARE boats! :biggrin:

Well no, I just love the city and the general approach to their teaching which is something that suits me down to a tee.

I've got my UKCAT on the 9th, only 4 weeks away. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
There is boats! :biggrin:

Well no, I just love the city and the general approach to their teaching which is something that suits me down to a tee.

I've got my UKCAT on the 9th, only 4 weeks away. :frown:

There are boats :fuhrer:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
There are boats :fuhrer:

Eek. I am very sorry. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending