The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
it's not brilliant, the bmat past papers are most helpful

How many bmat past papers are available online?
Why do you say its not brill?
Original post by Theafricanlegend

From what I've heard, the section 2 questions in it are AS level type, as opposed to GCSE level.

Also, I've found a nice website that people may find useful. It gives admissions information on various med schools. Ive just found some on Notts, giving UKCAT scores of interviewed applicants. Doing some excel functions, for the 2012 cycle; the average UKCAT of an interviewee at nottingham is 696 with standard deviation +/- 48.5. So really a UKCAT average of 650+ seems to be ok for nottinghams UKCAT needs.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_admissions_statist_2
Original post by AtomicMan
Also, I've found a nice website that people may find useful. It gives admissions information on various med schools. Ive just found some on Notts, giving UKCAT scores of interviewed applicants. Doing some excel functions, for the 2012 cycle; the average UKCAT of an interviewee at nottingham is 696 with standard deviation +/- 48.5. So really a UKCAT average of 650+ seems to be ok for nottinghams UKCAT needs.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_admissions_statist_2

This isn't great news, although i think such a high degree of variation shows that they don't use it a huge amount in their selection process.
Reply 5203
Original post by Theafricanlegend

just go on the website, why would I have memorised that information...? :sigh:

both ISC medical's 400q and how to master the bmat aren't great, they are useful for different things, so I'm glad I bought them. 400q is a bit annoying because the level of science in there goes up to A2 level at times. There is also no science material, just questions, so nothing to revise that from. On the other hand, lots of decent tips in there, the essay, the logic stuff. And decent practice questions generally.

how to master the bmat is infuriating sometimes because it's riddled with mistakes.
However, it has the science you should need in note form, to either jog your memory or fill gaps in your knowledge, which is adequate. Decent help for the other sections too.

With the essay, definitely practice using actual questions. It's not normally as simple as 'is abortion acceptable?' or something. They'll always ask questions that require you to really show that you understand what the statement is saying, and then put down an argument, counter it, conclude with a standpoint or a way of settling the conflict. Also, do that all in 30mins.

practice those skills if you want to take the BMAT. You really do need to prepare if you want to apply to these schools, so do your research
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
That's fine :h:

You'll have to stick around on the site then and be able to vote in more categories next year :yep:

For what it's worth, you could have voted for someone in more than one category, did you know this or was it not clear? :smile:

I was really confused as to whether 'Applicant of the Year' applied to 2012 or 2013 applicants, but seeing as I didn't really know any 2012 applicants, I just voted for someone in this thread :ninja:
Reply 5205
So glad to get my ukcat out of the way! I thought the test centre staff were really sweet as well haha
Original post by -hannah
So glad to get my ukcat out of the way! I thought the test centre staff were really sweet as well haha

Yh, definitely looking forward to that :biggrin:, what did you end up with ?
Reply 5207
Original post by Orinincandenza
Yh, definitely looking forward to that :biggrin:, what did you end up with ?

660, 720, 820, 680

so 720 average, I almost cried I was so surprised/happy! When's yours?
Original post by -hannah
660, 720, 820, 680

Tuesday after next, will be amazingly pleased if i can get that high, well done.
Reply 5209
Tuesday after next, will be amazingly pleased if i can get that high, well done.

Thanks, good luck!
Original post by -hannah
660, 720, 820, 680

That's awesome well done I'm so jealous!
Original post by -hannah
660, 720, 820, 680

:woo: congratulations :smile:
Was doing some UKCAT practice whilst I was watching the dressage, then when the British riders came on I stopped. Ugh, I cried.
Reply 5213
Finally got the ukcat out of the way.

How is everyone doing? :smile:
Original post by oli_G

Ooo, how'd it go? So nervous for mine

Sitting here incapable of doing anything because I'm so emotional over the damn Olympics, idk. :cry:
Reply 5215
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Ooo, how'd it go? So nervous for mine

Sitting here incapable of doing anything because I'm so emotional over the damn Olympics, idk. :cry:

I was ridiculously nervous to be honest in the morning but once i got there the nerves weren't so bad..

It went well in the end (much better than expected)
700; 820; 700; 740 (in vr, qr, ar and da respectively. so average of 740)

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G

Ah, everyone seems to getting it done now, pressure's definitely on, Still hating on AR. How was it in the actual test ?
Original post by oli_G
I was ridiculously nervous to be honest in the morning but once i got there the nerves weren't so bad..

It went well in the end (much better than expected)
700; 820; 700; 740 (in vr, qr, ar and da respectively. so average of 740)

Good luck :biggrin:

Wow, congratulations! That's a great score. How did you prepare? And did you find the sections harder/easier than your practice materials?

Just found an absolute gem of a channel on YouTube :smile:

I soooooooo want to be doing this now :tongue:
Reply 5219
Ah, everyone seems to getting it done now, pressure's definitely on, Still hating on AR. How was it in the actual test ?

True, although tsr seems to be in a league of its own (the people i know in real life all got around 600). AR was my worst section today, as I had to guess a good number. Some were immediately obvious, such as more shaded than clear or the number of sides. Others were less obvious but can be worked out. Some I just had to make an educated guess with - I use a method with those ones that i call 'inspection' for some bizarre reason :s-smilie: Basically i just look at the test object and compare it with a similar test box in either set and if it seems to fit I put it in. Obviously that's done without working out the rule, so saves time :smile:

The actual test was ok, certainly a lot easier than the 600 qs or online tests for the vast majority. Although DA was a lot harder than any of the practice material for me. I normally finish it with 10-15 minutes spare, but almost ran out of time today with DA.

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Wow, congratulations! That's a great score. How did you prepare? And did you find the sections harder/easier than your practice materials?

Cheers :smile:
See above

Latest

Trending

Trending