Scroll to see replies

Reply 5220
Original post by SaintSoldier
Just found an absolute gem of a channel on YouTube :smile:

I soooooooo want to be doing this now :tongue:

Incredible.

Would be so great to be a neuro or cardiotharacic surgeon :moon:
Original post by oli_G
True, although tsr seems to be in a league of its own (the people i know in real life all got around 600). AR was my worst section today, as I had to guess a good number. Some were immediately obvious, such as more shaded than clear or the number of sides. Others were less obvious but can be worked out. Some I just had to make an educated guess with - I use a method with those ones that i call 'inspection' for some bizarre reason :s-smilie: Basically i just look at the test object and compare it with a similar test box in either set and if it seems to fit I put it in. Obviously that's done without working out the rule, so saves time :smile:

The actual test was ok, certainly a lot easier than the 600 qs or online tests for the vast majority. Although DA was a lot harder than any of the practice material for me. I normally finish it with 10-15 minutes spare, but almost ran out of time today with DA.

Oh OK, thanks, yeah the hardest thing is that you don't know how well your going to do until you've actually finished it, so right now i could be heading for a great score like yours or complete failure. So stressful. People seem to have done really well in QR as well, i think that might be a weak point for me. Were there lots of graphs ?
Reply 5222
Original post by Orinincandenza
Oh OK, thanks, yeah the hardest thing is that you don't know how well your going to do until you've actually finished it, so right now i could be heading for a great score like yours or complete failure. So stressful. People seem to have done really well in QR as well, i think that might be a weak point for me. Were there lots of graphs ?

Only one or two iirc. As an a level maths student you should be fine. Just make sure you're comfortable with the calculator as speed really is key :smile: Don't worry about the uncertainty too much. I was doing quite badly in my practice a couple of days before the test and didn't even think i'd get above 600 in some sections! I think you tend to perform much better on the day :smile:
Original post by oli_G
Only one or two iirc. As an a level maths student you should be fine. Just make sure you're comfortable with the calculator as speed really is key :smile: Don't worry about the uncertainty too much. I was doing quite badly in my practice a couple of days before the test and didn't even think i'd get above 600 in some sections! I think you tend to perform much better on the day :smile:

Here's hoping. :colondollar:
Original post by Theafricanlegend
How many bmat past papers are available online?
Why do you say its not brill?

I've found some good sites for BMAT, found this one particularly useful someone sent it to me earlier- http://oxbridgemedicine.com/the-bmat/
UKCAT done! Personal Statement draft 18 to-do...

Good luck to anyone else who is yet to attack the UKCAT. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Everyone seems to be doing so well here, making me depressed haha

:frown:
Original post by HarryMWilliams
UKCAT done! Personal Statement draft 18 to-do...

Good luck to anyone else who is yet to attack the UKCAT. :smile:

Eighteen? :eek: Do you count like every time you sit down and make an alteration a new 'draft'? Because I only consider it a draft when I totally change it...

Also, how did you do?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Eighteen? :eek: Do you count like every time you sit down and make an alteration a new 'draft'? Because I only consider it a draft when I totally change it...

Also, how did you do?!

I got over the top on everything else so I thought lets keep a record for every version I have. :tongue:

Overall of 2700 (AVG: 675) which I am happy about, not particularly restrictive. Ironically I did better in the areas I thought was my worst and visa versa. Confuzzling!

Just happy to get it out of the way to be quite honest (and to get a score above 600 :tongue:).
(edited 11 years ago)
Can I ask advice form people on here:

Ive just taken a mock for the UKCAT, out of the 600q book. I am aiming for a good, above average score that will be enough for most medical schools. In the mock I got

QR: 340
AR: 634
VR: 552.5
DA: 712

Which gives an average of 559.625.

I have booked my UKCAT for next Tuesday, should I put it back, considering this, to practise QR and VR more?

I feel awful. I have done every excercise in the book and I am not getting any better. I just don't want to miss out on getting into medical school because of this, when I have worked so hard for everything. It's so demoralising. I'm going to now do all fo the QR on getintomedicine website. :frown:
Original post by AspiringGenius

I feel awful. I have done every excercise in the book and I am not getting any better. I just don't want to miss out on getting into medical school because of this, when I have worked so hard for everything. It's so demoralising. I'm going to now do all fo the QR on getintomedicine website. :frown:

Don't postpone the test, at the end of the day you will have to do it if you want to get into a UKCAT university. Most people find that they get better results that the mock in the 600Q book anywhoo, I got 100 more than what I was predicted from the mock so don't worry or panick.

It is a test of your cognitive abilities which you cannot revise for contrary to what some people say, you can only familarise yourself with the techniques to use. As long as you have those you will be fine with it. Honest!
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't postpone the test, at the end of the day you will have to do it if you want to get into a UKCAT university. Most people find that they get better results that the mock in the 600Q book anywhoo, I got 100 more than what I was predicted from the mock so don't worry or panick.

It is a test of your cognitive abilities which you cannot revise for contrary to what some people say, you can only familarise yourself with the techniques to use. As long as you have those you will be fine with it. Honest!

I have never heard of anyone getting as low as 340 in a section. I thought I might get something like 500 but that is just ridiculous.
I have never heard of anyone getting as low as 340 in a section. I thought I might get something like 500 but that is just ridiculous.

Was you doing the QR bit timed?
Was you doing the QR bit timed?

Yes. :-/
Yes. :-/

Then don't worry about it. The QR (for me!) in the actual test were much easier to tackle than the 600Q QR questions so I wouldnt worry too much about that.
Then don't worry about it. The QR (for me!) in the actual test were much easier to tackle than the 600Q QR questions so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

I think I will rub everything I've written in the book out and start again. :frown:
Can I ask advice form people on here:

Ive just taken a mock for the UKCAT, out of the 600q book. I am aiming for a good, above average score that will be enough for most medical schools. In the mock I got

QR: 340
AR: 634
VR: 552.5
DA: 712

Which gives an average of 559.625.

I have booked my UKCAT for next Tuesday, should I put it back, considering this, to practise QR and VR more?

A couple of things,

a) The QR questions in 600q are useless, they test math skills when the actual thing just tests speed and being able to look at tables/graphs extract info quickly. So don't worry about that.

b) The scoring system they propose is just to keep people happy, you cant reallt calculate ukcat scores that simply, it's far more complicated, so dont be too disheartened.
Original post by oli_G
Did you do yours today as well? :smile:

How'd you do?

He already said.
Reply 5238
Original post by Theafricanlegend
He already said.

Oops, sorry missed that.
I'll delete the post :getmecoat:
Original post by oli_G
Oops, sorry missed that.
I'll delete the post :getmecoat: