The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Aww, why don't you go down there?

I don't get enough time to play it properly, so I was glad I got today. Should really do some work though! Did you ever play Oblivion? I tend to be super picky about what games I like, but I love The Elder Scrolls so... :smile:

Minecraft looks like ****, is it?

btw, you got to the arrow in the knee part of skyrim yet?

I just burst out giggling when I heard that xD
Original post by Boom533
Ehhh can't be bothered :P It's going on until 1, and my parents would probably kill me if I got back that late. Also, hospital volunteering tomorrow, not a great idea to turn up looking like dracula :P

Nope, a friend told me how good Oblivion was, I played Morrowind for a bit but never really got into it. Fav game?

It looks terrible, but it's honestly one of the best games I've ever played. It's basically a never ending terrain in which you mine...and craft :P The world generated is something like 8 times the size of the real life Earth o.0 But there's a bunch of monsters of different difficulties, the game mechanic is cool coz of the night and day thing. It's good to relax, you just build your own house, or a giant penis out of wood. You can play online, or download custom challenge maps, mods and stuff as well ^^

Dracula :tongue:

Ooo, it'd have to be Oblivion or Skyrim. Skyrim has better graphics, and I loved doing the Dark Brotherhood, which I never did on Oblivion (and I can't play it now because the graphics bum me out). But Oblivion had a better mages quest line. But I hated the Oblivion gates... so, probably Skyrim overall.

Hmm. I might think about it. I have a bitch ton left to do on Skyrim though! You should really get around to playing it. Or play Oblivion first, so Skyrim doesn't ruin the graphics for you!

Original post by Boom533
btw, you got to the arrow in the knee part of skyrim yet?

I just burst out giggling when I heard that xD

I hate it when guards say that. Although all I ever hear now is 'Psst, I know who you are.. Hail Sithis!' and something about me being a sneaky thief :frown: When they say 'no lollygagging', that's the best.
Original post by Natalie21

Aww thank you, that's very sweet of you :biggrin: And congratulations on organising it all - what have you got planned? :biggrin: :biggrin:

WELL, I got a week sorted in cardiology - but i may be unable to make it, as I am doing vitalise the week of thier induction! 2 weeks respiratory medicine (the guy actually said he could offer me 6 weeks if i was up for it! Apparently writing "any time during the [dates of the summer holidays inserted here]" meant yes, have me for 6 weeks. I hope I get to float around a bit though, i'm unsure as to how interesting respiratory will be...I don't feel anything will compare to my A&E experience:bored: And a week with Gastroenterology :woo:

As chuffed as I am with all of that, if cardiology doesn't pull through, I would definitely like a solid weeks worth of something like neuro or surgery or something, it's like gold dust! :drool:I've always thought that a solid 4 weeks of hospital work experience would be enough for the old PS and that I could focus more on other things after that - but i'm getting a tad stressed, what other things? Ho crap. It's just dawned on me I don't have any GP w.e :| :doh:

Hospital - check
Vitalise - check
Pharmacy - urgh, check
Residential volunteer for 6 weeks - check

I'm working on getting care home, but i'm pretty adamant about getting on the employment ladder and fitting working around my studies, and it may be hard to juggle that too... although, it wouldn't hurt to do that in the mean time I guess?

I feel like i'm missing something...not sure what...:dontknow:

Don't mind me sharing my lifestory, I haven't had TSR contact in so long! :cry2:

Is anyone booking KAPLAN this year? I know I am?
And just another shout out to anyone going to HYMS Open Day, I definetly will be! I'm a bit scared of being a bit of a loner though...:nopity:
Original post by Boom533
JIC, I was the guy in the black hoodie, blue+white chequered shirt, jeans.
I was wearing glasses and I was on my phone a lot.

If that narrows it down lol :P

Funnily enough, you match the guy on the tube exactly :tongue:

But it couldn't have been you because he said he did the IB
Original post by ameelia22
WELL, I got a week sorted in cardiology - but i may be unable to make it, as I am doing vitalise the week of thier induction! 2 weeks respiratory medicine (the guy actually said he could offer me 6 weeks if i was up for it! Apparently writing "any time during the [dates of the summer holidays inserted here]" meant yes, have me for 6 weeks. I hope I get to float around a bit though, i'm unsure as to how interesting respiratory will be...I don't feel anything will compare to my A&E experience:bored: And a week with Gastroenterology :woo:

As chuffed as I am with all of that, if cardiology doesn't pull through, I would definitely like a solid weeks worth of something like neuro or surgery or something, it's like gold dust! :drool:I've always thought that a solid 4 weeks of hospital work experience would be enough for the old PS and that I could focus more on other things after that - but i'm getting a tad stressed, what other things? Ho crap. It's just dawned on me I don't have any GP w.e :| :doh:

Hospital - check
Vitalise - check
Pharmacy - urgh, check

I'm working on getting care home, but i'm pretty adamant about getting on the employment ladder and fitting working around my studies, and it may be hard to juggle that too... although, it wouldn't hurt to do that in the mean time I guess?

That's fine. The message we got from Imperial was that all unis know it is hard to get WE. As long as you have something, then it's fine. Also, on your PS, each type of WE will only take up a couple of lines, so it's not necessary to have loads.

Haven't really thought about it tbh

When/where is it?

And just another shout out to anyone going to HYMS Open Day, I definetly will be! I'm a bit scared of being a bit of a loner though...:nopity:

It depends on their admissions policy, how seriously do they take GCSEs?
Original post by SaintSoldier
That's fine. The message we got from Imperial was that all unis know it is hard to get WE. As long as you have something, then it's fine. Also, on your PS, each type of WE will only take up a couple of lines, so it's not necessary to have loads.

But I pretty much need to get my ass in a care home right? As long as i'm not working, it's not like I don't have the time...

Haven't really thought about it tbh

When/where is it?

They're all around the country and run from July through September.

It depends on their admissions policy, how seriously do they take GCSEs?

Consider the UCAS application as a whole apparently, mark it out of 50 and all that.

I've just realised, that living in Birmingham means the earliest i can get there is quarter past 9 by train, and...well it starts at 9... i may not be going after all! Good thing I thought to check the train times now :tongue:
Hi
Original post by ATOM ambassador
Hi

'sup.
Morning guys :smile: I should really get cracking on some of my work today, but I'm really lacking the motivation I had before my January exams. Anyone got any ideas?
Hello all,
What volunteering and work ex is everyone doing? Also, what kind of GCSE grades does everyone have? (just nice to be able to compare and see what everyone's doing)
toff ;D
Morning guys :smile: I should really get cracking on some of my work today, but I'm really lacking the motivation I had before my January exams. Anyone got any ideas?

Do enough work each day, but allow relaxation time- it's the holidays! Reward yourself for your work somehow, after doing a good piece of work etc.
toff :biggrin:

Go sit on the website of the university you really really want to go to, go on the virtual tour, re-read all the stuff about the medical course structure etc, and eventually you realise how much you want to be there, and that you'll actually get off your ass to go get it! That's what I did this morning anyway...

Hospital - check
Vitalise - check
Pharmacy - urgh, check

Don't mind me sharing my lifestory, I haven't had TSR contact in so long! :cry2:

wow, you have so much! :eek: how many weeks is that in a hospital, like 5?! im struggling to get 2!

When are you going on vitalise? :smile:

Also, do you mean booking the KAPLAN for the ukcat? If so, when are you thinking of doing the ukcat? :smile:

also, were you a residential volunteer for 6 weeks full time?! :eek: when/where did you find the time to do that?!

sorry about all the questions :tongue:

Hospital - check
Vitalise - check
Pharmacy - urgh, check

This is all really good stuff, how on earth are you going to fit in reflection on all of this + four weeks of work exp! Have you tried drafting a PS it really makes you realise how limited the space is, personally i think there's only space to properly expand on a few weeks of anything, to really get the PS marks you need to link work exp or volunteering to key skills and maybe even chuck an anecdote in there, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Medicine_89#MEDICINE_Personal_Statement , this is a really good example of what i mean, it's a great PS because it doesn't try to cram everything in the world into it. So try not to stress, you don't need THAT much, really :smile:

Original post by louistoffee
Hello all,
What volunteering and work ex is everyone doing? Also, what kind of GCSE grades does everyone have? (just nice to be able to compare and see what everyone's doing)
toff ;D

Hey, welcome to the thread:smile: This Question comes up quite a lot actually, so you can see how not everyone wants to repeat it all the time, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=22 This thread is great and actually shows a good range of stats and where people ended up. :wink:
Original post by IAmMclovin
wow, you have so much! :eek: how many weeks is that in a hospital, like 5?! im struggling to get 2!

Also, do you mean booking the KAPLAN for the ukcat? If so, when are you thinking of doing the ukcat? :smile:

also, were you a residential volunteer for 6 weeks full time?! :eek: when/where did you find the time to do that?!

I'm at the Southampton centre August 18th-25th :biggrin: are you doing it?
Incidently, I was on the tube with a guy from North London. He was in group B1. Hmmm....

The campus is really nice, but I don't think I'll be applying to Imperial. They don't put enough emphasis on GCSEs. I want my GCSEs to be used, if you know what I mean.

It's the best way to do it mate :smile:

I'm not really expeting anyone to respond lol, but it'd be pretty cool if I did find someone I talked to on here

haha :lol:
Original post by IAmMclovin

:hi:
Y'think? :erm: I am incredibly grateful though, not just throwing it in peoples face who have much less then me, but credit where it's due, I had just a few days prior to 2012. You can turn it around :wink2: Have you done local hospitals and stuff? The proper route is a load of bull:poo: I found that getting in touch with the departments/doctors/family friends/people that know the admissions woman got me in!

Going on Vitalise the Saturday week starting 28th :biggrin:
Yep, Kaplan for the UKCAT. Well, now don't judge me! my mom said she'd pay for 2 UKCAT courses if i wanted them, (moneys no object when it comes to helping me with med) I know, i hear you all saying, "waste of time" or "2 is 1 too many!" but essentially, it's not going to do any harm, and the idea is, that I do the Kaplan one the first week of July, continue to revise till Mid-August, do another UKCAT preparation test, and then continue to revise till the last week of August when I hope to do the UKCAT. I know, i'm a bit ashamed to admit it :s-smilie:

Good lord, :eek: I seem to have quite the tendency to write a lifestory! ^ :colondollar:

Nonononono, just for 6 weeks, every sunday, couple of hours, i went to the residential home - but it wasn't vary caring, I held a quiz and stuff, and even then we were lucky if anyone turned up...I don't think thats worth mentioning for medicine though, because it doesn't seem to have any legs...

Original post by Orinincandenza
This is all really good stuff, how on earth are you going to fit in reflection on all of this + four weeks of work exp! Have you tried drafting a PS it really makes you realise how limited the space is, personally i think there's only space to properly expand on a few weeks of anything, to really get the PS marks you need to link work exp or volunteering to key skills and maybe even chuck an anecdote in there, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Medicine_89#MEDICINE_Personal_Statement , this is a really good example of what i mean, it's a great PS because it doesn't try to cram everything in the world into it. So try not to stress, you don't need THAT much, really :smile:

Hey, again, i'm not too sure - I hope it's got some juice to it, if you hear what i mean. Well when i mention my work experience in my PS I obviously won't be writing about minor details, but more from the 4 weeks, finding the really juicy stuff, and talking about that!
Woah!:yeah: that sounds like an excellent idea! I had checked a few of those, but your absoloutely right, I ought to have a go at drafting one.

A bit of stress is when the hell am i going to be writing it? I have something Mon-Fri every week of the summer holidays...i'm hoping that it all oozes out in the interview :crossedf:
Reply 1017
Original post by bhogs001
I got 6a*s and 5A's in my gcse's. Do you reckon i can still get in to medicine?

no
Nonononono, just for 6 weeks, every sunday, couple of hours, i went to the residential home - but it wasn't vary caring, I held a quiz and stuff, and even then we were lucky if anyone turned up...I don't think thats worth mentioning for medicine though, because it doesn't seem to have any legs...

Hey! Thanks for that motivation idea by the way, I'm going to put it to use in a minute in order to get started on my coursework!

I think you should continue to go to the care home if possible, because not only does having a long term placement help your application, if you don't think the home is particularly caring to its residents, maybe you should just go in and talk to them. It makes all the difference just sitting down and having a chat or playing a board game or something :smile:
Hey, again, i'm not too sure - I hope it's got some juice to it, if you hear what i mean. Well when i mention my work experience in my PS I obviously won't be writing about minor details, but more from the 4 weeks, finding the really juicy stuff, and talking about that!
Woah!:yeah: that sounds like an excellent idea! I had checked a few of those, but your absoloutely right, I ought to have a go at drafting one.

A bit of stress is when the hell am i going to be writing it? I have something Mon-Fri every week of the summer holidays...i'm hoping that it all oozes out in the interview :crossedf:

Hey with the UKCAT thing btw it's your choice but i know people who have gotten >700 with around two months of a few hours a week, i'm not saying courses are a waste but certainly not absolutely necessary.

I'm probably a little cynical but i think with PSs it's really just a case of telling them what they want to hear. Most universities simply have a list of boxes to tick, e.g 'did they show good communication skills? Are they aware of medicine's downsides ?" and anything else is an extra. I'm w/e will be fun, even if you don't write about it though so nevermind.

Latest

Trending

Trending