The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by Orinincandenza
Well the antidote to this is to do something that makes it more likely that you WILL get in, i kinda know what you mean but i guess just look at your application and be honest about your chances.

Nah, not all about work exp. A couple of weeks is fine, universities know how hard it is to get and as long as you have some you'll be fine.

Yeah,but aren't you supposed to have like a long term work experience/voluntary work in a care home or something similar? :s-smilie:
Reply 1161

Thanks!
I've applied for the Sutton one,but the applications for Oxford Summer School are now closed! >.<
Original post by Varsh05
Yeah,but aren't you supposed to have like a long term work experience/voluntary work in a care home or something similar? :s-smilie:

"work experience/voluntary work" the difference between these two is huge, but yes it is useful to have some kind of long term voluntary work but it could be in a charity shop or working with disabled adults, whatever really.
Reply 1163
"work experience/voluntary work" the difference between these two is huge, but yes it is useful to have some kind of long term voluntary work but it could be in a charity shop or working with disabled adults, whatever really.

Okay :h:
What kinda voluntary work you doing atm?? :smile:
Reply 1164
Anyone going to the King's Lecture this Wednesday?? :smile:
Original post by Varsh05
Aw lol!
Well have you planned any care homes or long term voluntary work that relates to Medicine?? :smile:

Oh yes, I do st john ambulance, but I see that as more of a hobbie personally, and I also volunteer weekly at a nursing home, along with other voluntry school-related stuff :smile:
Original post by Varsh05
Okay :h:
What kinda voluntary work you doing atm?? :smile:

Hospital Volunteering, although sometimes, it's a little hard to find something to do all the time, it's OK.

Might start in a Oxfam bookshop or something at some point.

The care home thing is very much the typical med applicant thing. Not to say it's bad but Admissions have seen it a million times before and probs wont be too impressed, that said if you enjoy it and do something useful...

Charity shop is kind of a 'last resort', as you will probably not be able to get the caring side of it, whereas at a care home, or working with disabled children/adults you do.
Reply 1168
Hi, I've been volunteering in a charity shop for like 6 weeks now... And, this sounds awful, but i don't know why? What use is volunteering in a charity shop? I go every saturday from 9:00 - 12:00 and I am not planning on stopping because I enjoy it; but apart from that and the odd bit of chatting to old people, I don't understand what skills I am supposed to gain?
Original post by Killki06
Hi, I've been volunteering in a charity shop for like 6 weeks now... And, this sounds awful, but i don't know why? What use is volunteering in a charity shop? I go every saturday from 9:00 - 12:00 and I am not planning on stopping because I enjoy it; but apart from that and the odd bit of chatting to old people, I don't understand what skills I am supposed to gain?

There is no requirement to volunteer at a charity shop, and, like I said before, if you have ANY other volunteer placement available to you that involves a caring aspect (eg a nursing home, special needs children, disabled adults) it would be more beneficial to your application, and a lot more enjoyable, IMO. But, if you cannot find any other placement, then volunteering at a charity shop long-term shows that you stick to what you do and shows you have time to do other things outside of college work :smile: You will also develop some communication skills that you could mention on your personal statement, but you'd develop more in a caring environment.
Reply 1170
Original post by Killki06

well...

I also volunteer at a charity shop. I've been there since June, I go there for 2 hours after work on Saturday afternoons. Apart from it demonstrating long term commitment and it being something to talk about in the medicine application process and interview, it shows you make a difference in society, it helps you develop your communication skills, especially with those who aren't particularly sociable, very important if you want to be a doctor. It's a way to get out of the house, and be active. Kids these days don't know anything outside school and their house. Kids don't watch the news, read, all they do is go on facebook. It's a great way to stay in touch with society, and get used to the daunting prospect of opening up and communicating with people of different ages.

that's enough lol. hope that helps.
Original post by Gcayte
I thought this was too quite, wasn't on my watched for some reason :redface:
How is everyone? :smile:

It happened to a few of us for some reason :/
The care home thing is very much the typical med applicant thing. Not to say it's bad but Admissions have seen it a million times before and probs wont be too impressed, that said if you enjoy it and do something useful...

And hospital volunteering hasn't been seen a million times before too?
Hospital Volunteering, although sometimes, it's a little hard to find something to do all the time, it's OK.

Might start in a Oxfam bookshop or something at some point.

...What?

It's not about 'impressing' them. I'm pretty sure the admission tutors don't get 'impressed' over what sort of environment you do your work experience. Unless you single handedly set up an orphanage in an underprivileged part of your city and manage to run it whilst getting AAA at AS Level, that is. It's about the skills you gain from it, the things you learn. And I don't know about you, but when I come away from spending time with elderly people who often feel like they have no one to talk to, I feel I've actually made a difference, no matter how small. When I go there, I don't sit and think 'lol I might go elsewhere cause this ain't gonna impress anyone', I sit and think 'well if the rest of my day sucks, at least I'll know I've made another person's day that little bit better'.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Unless you single handedly set up an orphanage in an underprivileged part of your city and manage to run it whilst getting AAA at AS Level, that is.

Love this :lol:
Charity shop is kind of a 'last resort', as you will probably not be able to get the caring side of it, whereas at a care home, or working with disabled children/adults you do.

Yeah i'd agree but opportunities for these are often pretty hard to get.

Original post by Natalie21
And hospital volunteering hasn't been seen a million times before too?

Well i didn't say that, i wasn't trying to criticize anyone in particular, just a general point about how most Med Applicant PSs are 90% the same.

...What?

It's not about 'impressing' them. I'm pretty sure the admission tutors don't get 'impressed' over what sort of environment you do your work experience. Unless you single handedly set up an orphanage in an underprivileged part of your city and manage to run it whilst getting AAA at AS Level, that is. It's about the skills you gain from it, the things you learn. And I don't know about you, but when I come away from spending time with elderly people who often feel like they have no one to talk to, I feel I've actually made a difference, no matter how small. When I go there, I don't sit and think 'lol I might go elsewhere cause this ain't gonna impress anyone', I sit and think 'well if the rest of my day sucks, at least I'll know I've made another person's day that little bit better'.

Ok, so now i'm confused, I agree with you, we both think that admissions arent going to be impressed but it's worth doing it if you enjoy it, i mean i actually pretty much summarized you paragraph in my post - " that said if you enjoy it and do something useful..."

Was my phrasing misleading ?:confused:

Well i didn't say that, i wasn't trying to criticize anyone in particular, just a general point about how most Med Applicant PSs are 90% the same.

Ok, so now i'm confused, I agree with you, we both think that admissions arent going to be impressed but it's worth doing it if you enjoy it, i mean i actually pretty much summarized you paragraph in my post - " that said if you enjoy it and do something useful..."

I think its more the fact that you said you volunteer in a hospital and then you start saying about how care home volunteering is common and not impressive - just sounded like you were making out that your volunteering was better somehow.

But whatever :biggrin:

Not really. Ring everywhere. Everywhere. Chances are you will get a placement, lots of those places love volunteers.

No. You pretty much made it sound like everyone who volunteers at a care home is unimaginative and their voluntary work isn't impressive enough. You think you're going to 'impress' them by volunteering at a hospital instead of a care home? :s-smilie:

Sorry if it seems like I'm on a rampage tonight :horse:
Original post by Natalie21
I think its more the fact that you said you volunteer in a hospital and then you start saying about how care home volunteering is common and not impressive - just sounded like you were making out that your volunteering was better somehow.

But whatever :biggrin:

Oh, nope didn't mean that:smile:, i mean i'm a nursing care assistant in a care home so aware of how lonely and isolated old age can be, that said the actual impact volunteers make is often variable (personal remark, sure you guys are all young mother teresas).
Not really. Ring everywhere. Everywhere. Chances are you will get a placement, lots of those places love volunteers.

No. You pretty much made it sound like everyone who volunteers at a care home is unimaginative and their voluntary work isn't impressive enough. You think you're going to 'impress' them by volunteering at a hospital instead of a care home? :s-smilie:

Sorry if it seems like I'm on a rampage tonight :horse:

See above.

Latest