The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
did you just say 60 quid? (is that for one?) and on Jay Z and Kanye as well... dayuuuum of course she'd be mad at that...

:O They're standing, so really, they're the cheapest they came.

Original post by Natalie21
Most concerts are that price now... or more :colondollar:

Wait till Lady GaGa comes out - I will be there!

Guys, new concern. When the idea of doing an EPQ first came about, i was all for it, but since hearing a history teacher majorly slag it off, saying that we got no support, that it would be a drain on our a-levels, that we are underestimating the step up to a2, that she's in a position where she's got 2 girls in her form that took on the EPQ seduced by the whole "universities will be so impressed" malarky, and are now doing awfully on it, after having to neglect it to focus on their a-levels. Then talking to a couple of girls in the year above going for med, said don't do it, it's a waste of time...

BUT I know that if i did it, i would commit to it, i would do decently - but i only really want to do it if it will 'stand out' as such, and what with so many people doing it, i'm not sure if it will. What do you guys advise?
Reply 1221
Original post by ameelia22
:O They're standing, so really, they're the cheapest they came.

Guys, new concern. When the idea of doing an EPQ first came about, i was all for it, but since hearing a history teacher majorly slag it off, saying that we got no support, that it would be a drain on our a-levels, that we are underestimating the step up to a2, that she's in a position where she's got 2 girls in her form that took on the EPQ seduced by the whole "universities will be so impressed" malarky, and are now doing awfully on it, after having to neglect it to focus on their a-levels. Then talking to a couple of girls in the year above going for med, said don't do it, it's a waste of time...

BUT I know that if i did it, i would commit to it, i would do decently - but i only really want to do it if it will 'stand out' as such, and what with so many people doing it, i'm not sure if it will. What do you guys advise?

the EPQ certainly won't make you stand out, and too many med hopefuls make the mistake of thinking that. Do it, if you think you'd enjoy it and do well, it won't really help you to stand out at all for medicine, regardless of the topic you choose...
Original post by Pride
it's a little down the motorway from me, a gig at the O2 can be 30-40 quid... maybe his seats are really good or something...

30-40 pounds for a normal concert - if the people are really famous its normally a lot more - we paid over £100 each for Take That tickets.

Yes cannot wait for Lady Gaga to release her UK dates :3

I'm doing the EPQ now and I would say do it tbh!
Yes lots of people do it now but there is definitely a difference between an average and an outstanding topic and it is definitely a great thing to talk about at interview - although some what more useful if you've already finished it by the time you're interviewed!
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Hehe. Don't think they'd be too happy to see the word 'lol' though! :biggrin:

Haha, would certainly grab their attention :tongue:
Original post by NitroAbdi
Seems very interesting, btw a friend of mines does the same A level as you, he says Psychology is a bit too much. Do you do AQA A or B? Our school he says might change cause teacher said B is too much. Don't really know much about it though:tongue:

I do AQA B and I find it really interesting and a lot easier than my other subjects. Research Methods is so easy, and the rest is super interesting so it doesn't feel like a chore to learn it

Original post by Pride
I don't know if you know this, but in the past, theatres were literally rooms with seats on different levels around the patient/spectacle, where academics and staff would watch surgical operations as they happened. It's partly why it's called a 'theatre'

I don't know of them anywhere nowadays. I mean, students go into the theatres, get kitted out and do little jobs while watching in this country for example.

Yeah, I know, it's weird to think of it being like an actual theatre!

I think in America they may still have small viewing galleries in very large teaching hospitals, where it may be hard to get in on every operation, and if they're pioneering a new technique or doing a rare operation, I assume quite a few doctors would be interested in seeing it. According to websites some hospitals still have them :smile:
Original post by Varsh05
Tbh,as far as I know,ALL medics have something that makes them stand out! >.<
So even if most of them are doing voluntary work in a care home,each individual has something different that's "special"!

I could say the same bout 90% of the medics do Chemistry,Biology and Maths,whereas the other 10% do a non-science subject!
And yet,they all get into med school!:rolleyes:

I wouldn't say everybody is special, in your PS you could offer an unusual observation or point but before interview you're just a name on a screen to admissions. That's not to say you can't make yourself stand out, especially at interview.

Not sure what you were saying with the last bit but 64% get 4 rejections.
I do AQA B and I find it really interesting and a lot easier than my other subjects. Research Methods is so easy, and the rest is super interesting so it doesn't feel like a chore to learn it
)

Sorry if I somewhat offended you, I was about to choose Psychology,but they were in the same block as maths and I ended up with maths. If I could recommend a 4th or 3rd subject I would tell you them to do something you will like. My school is so limited, no Ecomnomics just the plain, common ones (not that they are bad)
Sorry if I somewhat offended you, I was about to choose Psychology,but they were in the same block as maths and I ended up with maths. If I could recommend a 4th or 3rd subject I would tell you them to do something you will like. My school is so limited, no Ecomnomics just the plain, common ones (not that they are bad)

Why would I be offended, haha? :tongue:

There was a thread on this a little bit ago and the general consensus was : "EPQ isn't really useful for admissions but can help with interviews or PS or just be an interesting project that helps you develop research skills"
Why would I be offended, haha? :tongue:

Haha, I got told to stop saying sorry a lot. Do you live in london?
Haha, I got told to stop saying sorry a lot. Do you live in london?

:smile: Nope, Nottingham. Do you?
:smile: Nope, Nottingham. Do you?

Yeah, I was going to ask if you been to any opening days, my school started putting up booklets from ucas about opening days or taster courses. I would love to study at Barts or Imperial :biggrin:
Original post by Pride
the EPQ certainly won't make you stand out, and too many med hopefuls make the mistake of thinking that. Do it, if you think you'd enjoy it and do well, it won't really help you to stand out at all for medicine, regardless of the topic you choose...

*sigh* I'm sure i would love it if i did it, thats the only thing making me rethink...

Original post by Natalie21

Yes cannot wait for Lady Gaga to release her UK dates :3

I'm doing the EPQ now and I would say do it tbh!
Yes lots of people do it now but there is definitely a difference between an average and an outstanding topic and it is definitely a great thing to talk about at interview - although some what more useful if you've already finished it by the time you're interviewed!

Have you been to see Lady G before?

Original post by Orinincandenza
There was a thread on this a little bit ago and the general consensus was : "EPQ isn't really useful for admissions but can help with interviews or PS or just be an interesting project that helps you develop research skills"

I hear ya, I hear ya, yeah - this was the general conclusion we came too as friends at school... I think for what it is, (an interview brownie point) it's not worth the time I suppose! Plus we'd start it in summer, and thats already jam packed as it is for me!
Have you been to see Lady G before?

No unfortunately :/ Have you?
Reply 1234
I wouldn't say everybody is special, in your PS you could offer an unusual observation or point but before interview you're just a name on a screen to admissions. That's not to say you can't make yourself stand out, especially at interview.

Not sure what you were saying with the last bit but 64% get 4 rejections.

Fair enough lol! -.-

You sure it's 64%??!
That's more than a half! :redface:
And it's shocking!:eek:
Reply 1235
just got a message from Bristol saying that i need to resit English language to get an A if i am going to apply there :O. for my GCSE English i had a B! :frown:
Reply 1236
Original post by FuzzBuzz
just got a message from Bristol saying that i need to resit English language to get an A if i am going to apply there :O. for my GCSE English i had a B! :frown:

I don't think it's worth retaking personally, but what do you think? Do you really like Bristol then?
*I hear ya, I hear ya, yeah - this was the general conclusion we came too as friends at school... I think for what it is, (an interview brownie point) it's not worth the time I suppose! Plus we'd start it in summer, and thats already jam packed as it is for me!

Really, i kinda like the idea of just doing a project for the interest, maybe i'll regret it later.
Original post by Varsh05
Fair enough lol! -.-

You sure it's 64%??!
That's more than a half! :redface:
And it's shocking!:eek:

Indeed 2011 Figures, the 2012 ones will be even worse presumably.
Reply 1238
Indeed 2011 Figures, the 2012 ones will be even worse presumably.

Noo!
Don't say that! :frown:
Let's just hope they get better! :biggrin:

What subjects you doing again? :smile:
Reply 1239
Off to Sheffield tomorrow, for the Uni thing Im part of.
Listening to some consultants talk and talking to med students and what not, Im quite looking forward to it :redface:
Although I am missing 2 hours of Chemistry, again.....

Latest