The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
yeah I want to stay in london, 1 bmat uni - probably ucl, definitely kings because that's nearby and I know that place is amazing, that might be my first choice, I'll have to go to some open days before I decide. Then barts and st george's.

what about you? thinking about where you want to apply to yet?

kings for sure! like you said its excellent and close to my home.
then durham as it looks really good xd
peninsula for similar reasons and unsure about the 4th. actually my friend said i could apply to 5 med unis seeing as im not with the school next year(taking gap year) instead of biomed but unsure about that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so fresh
actually my friend said i could apply to 5 med unis seeing as im not with the school next year(taking gap year) instead of biomed but unsure about that.

That's interesting - I don't think that's true - but maybe it is :s-smilie:
What are people learning from their medical work experience placements? I'm volunteering at my local city's hospital and all I feel I've learnt is how to wash and make a bed in 3 minutes flat...
Original post by LarsaSolidor
What are people learning from their medical work experience placements? I'm volunteering at my local city's hospital and all I feel I've learnt is how to wash and make a bed in 3 minutes flat...

Though that's volunteering - you're basically just helping out, so don't worry if you aren't learning anything. (I can stack shelves really quickly - learnt from my good ol' volunteering, should try for the world record...)

As for work experience, I do hope it's a different story for you! (Try and get as much patient contact as possible and ask as many questions as possible until they decide to make up excuses to send you home early). :wink:
ARRRH, my school wants UCAS personal statement 1st draft by tomorrow! I had done it but its sooooo early, what the heck!
Original post by NitroAbdi
ARRRH, my school wants UCAS personal statement 1st draft by tomorrow! I had done it but its sooooo early, what the heck!

I wish my college wanted our drafts in this early, would mean that we have plenty of time to perfect it by Oct 15!
Original post by Natalie21
That's interesting - I don't think that's true - but maybe it is :s-smilie:

i would only apply to 5 med schools if i knew i would get a offer from 1 of them. As in i have decent grades/good personal statement and ukcat score.
i dont think i would want to take another gap year :/ so biomed seems like an option->then try for graduate med
Reply 1287
Original post by Orinincandenza
Pretty good thanks, i'm not sure if it's just me but i find it really easy, by the far the easiest subject i'm doing, especially Tudors, it's just write eight good essays, memorize essays, A.

Probs history i guess, Oh French is fun, good luck with that.

Lol,I'm a Native French Speaker! :tongue:
Original post by Pride
lazy way of saying extra curriculars

*abbreviation. :wink:
I wish my college wanted our drafts in this early, would mean that we have plenty of time to perfect it by Oct 15!

Yes, you right, but I can put more effort into my Unit 3, which I can't retake during AS. I think more agitated with the fact my school wants be grammar school and are failing terribly.. There is nothing wrong with grammar schools though

What? That's absolutely ridiculous. You've got 7 months til you have to submit your UCAS form! You haven't even completed everything you'll write about.
i would only apply to 5 med schools if i knew i would get a offer from 1 of them. As in i have decent grades/good personal statement and ukcat score.
i dont think i would want to take another gap year :/ so biomed seems like an option->then try for graduate med

Ahh yeah that's true!! I just hope I get in first time round!

Yes, you right, but I can put more effort into my Unit 3, which I can't retake during AS. I think more agitated with the fact my school wants be grammar school and are failing terribly.. There is nothing wrong with grammar schools though

So is your school a grammar or not?
Reply 1292
kings for sure! like you said its excellent and close to my home.
then durham as it looks really good xd
peninsula for similar reasons and unsure about the 4th. actually my friend said i could apply to 5 med unis seeing as im not with the school next year(taking gap year) instead of biomed but unsure about that.

that's still not allowed... unless I don't understand what you're saying...
Original post by Pride
that's still not allowed... unless I don't understand what you're saying...

ye dont think anyone can do that. Then my 5th would be biomed at ucl lol xD
Reply 1294

one thing to remember

you probably won't learn much medical things, that you can learn when you start medicine. but you're learning about the profession, whether you'd enjoy working at a hopsital, getting lots of practice with patients, learning to be patient with people with disability, understanding how hospitals work, about the upcoming reforms, making a difference in the community, lots of things.

just understand that you probably won't learn medical things. I mean, you weren't expecting to see lots of groundbreaking new surgery on your volunteering were you? And that's alright, because the interviewers and admissions won't want you to be describing all the brilliant things you've seen anyway.

happy volunteering
Reply 1295
ye dont think anyone can do that. Then my 5th would be biomed at ucl lol xD

it wouldn't be easy to get into that either.
Original post by Pride
it wouldn't be easy to get into that either.

didnt claim it was. But its a good course at a really good uni so anyone might aswell give it a shot.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
What? That's absolutely ridiculous. You've got 7 months til you have to submit your UCAS form! You haven't even completed everything you'll write about.

Completely true, but the year 13 have completely left their personal statement to the last minute, so now we are burden with doing it early. We can add to next draft but our final draft must be in by June. I think they just want the majority of to be complete, that is the intention.

Original post by Natalie21

So is your school a grammar or not?

haha no, but I can tell their intentions are to slowly implement this status in fact everyone knows this, currently we are going to become an academy.
Hi guys, I'm another hopeful applicant.

Just wondering, how you guys went about applying for work experience? I'm not too sure about how to do it, but on the hospitals website they only had an application for volunteering.

Completely true, but the year 13 have completely left their personal statement to the last minute, so now we are burden with doing it early. We can add to next draft but our final draft must be in by June. I think they just want the majority of to be complete, that is the intention.

Yeah well this is still really early! You have all summer to write, re-write and re-re-write your personal statement. Why add to the stress you already have at the moment? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending