The Student Room Group

Jubilee cooking contest 'could be illegal'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16747153

"The anti-monarchy group Republic is warning schools they may break the law if they take part in a cooking contest to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

The contest, launched by the Duchess of Cornwall, is for 10 to 15-years-olds.

But Republic says involving children in celebrations of the monarchy without teaching them about republicanism as well is a breach of the Education Act."

Oh dear, another example of a pressure group relentlessly putting forward one particular viewpoint (in this case anti-monarchy) without any exception.

All it is, is a harmless cooking contest. There's no reason why it should be illegal and even less reason why the cooking contest should come served up with a debate as to the pros and cons of monarchy. :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Original post by goape

Oh dear, another example of a pressure group relentlessly putting forward one particular viewpoint (in this case anti-monarchy) without any exception.

That's kind of their job babes... :wink:
I'm pretty sure I knew what a republic is when I was 10.
Reply 3
Cooking contests will be the death of this country.
have they got nothing better to do than disrupt a ****ing cooking contest...
Reply 5
Original post by D.R.E
That's kind of their job babes... :wink:

I know, but it doesn't change that in the grand scheme of things they really don't have their thinking caps on.
Reply 6
This sort of douchebaggery is why the "Republic Campaign" is always a failure.
Reply 7
I dont like what they are trying to do, but in the same sense i dont see why our children should be 'forced' (as in, would have to opt out) of celebrating such a thing.
I sense a revolution!
Reply 9
Class-War!
Off with her head!
Reply 10
Trolls, and the BBC have fed them a banquet by covering it XD
Reply 11
Who are these monarchs anyway?

I don't remember voting for them.
All I'll say is:

Reply 13
Original post by Ferdowsi
Cooking contests will be the death of this country.

Oh but Ainsley Harriott disagrees :colone:

Seriously though, what a state to get in over a minor little cooking contest at a school. Jeez.
Original post by Kiss
Oh but Ainsley Harriott disagrees :colone:

Every time I see that picture I think of this:

Spoiler

Reply 15
Original post by goape
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16747153

"The anti-monarchy group Republic is warning schools they may break the law if they take part in a cooking contest to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

The contest, launched by the Duchess of Cornwall, is for 10 to 15-years-olds.

But Republic says involving children in celebrations of the monarchy without teaching them about republicanism as well is a breach of the Education Act."

All it is, is a harmless cooking contest. There's no reason why it should be illegal and even less reason why the cooking contest should come served up with a debate as to the pros and cons of monarchy. :rolleyes:

So you want kids to grow up to be good little obedient slaves to an outdated tradition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending