The Student Room Group

Help with results and decisions

Okay so I'm an int'l student, I did my A-levels last year in Oct/Nov (which is my first sitting) and will be expecting my results any day now (fml).

I can re-sit the exams if need be (touch wood) in May/June.

I've also applied to UCAS and have received 5 conditional offers, to which I have to reply by 7th June. I have not made a firm or insurance decision yet.

My question is, if I decide on a firm and insurance now, and when my results come out, it doesn't meet for example, my firm choice. Then, can I re-take the exam in June and still keep my place? Or will I get rejected?

Also, if I don't decide now, and I dont meet any offers, will my application be completely scrapped? Or can I re-take in June and then decide?

Or is everything up to each uni and I should go ask them? :confused:

*profusely starts knocking on every wooden object in the house*
Reply 1
I assume if you re-take it in june..your results would come by say mid august?. I doubt a university would agree to this especially since there's no guarantee that you will meet the requirments even in the event of a retake. Then again it depends which universitys you applyed to and how competitive they are. Which unis did you get conditional offers from btw?

Also as your an international student and did it in oct/nov, I assume you did CIE exams ?. Results are already out right ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
On your offers from the universities, they state that they give you the offer on the condition that you receive whatever results they are asking for, by a particular time.
Mine ask for the grades to be achieved by August. For example, I took A-Level Maths in January, so if I find that I might want to resit any paper, then taking it in June and getting the grade in August is fine.
Reply 3
I got conditional offers from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings, York and Leicester. Planning to make Edinburgh my firm and Leicester my insurance. I think York is the only one who said achieve the results by August.... They didnt specify I had to meet the offer in one sitting so that's why I asked O.o So I should go and email them for confirmation? Oh and yes my exam board is CIE and the website says the results are out, but we haven't received them :/ Now is the oh so painful waiting part...
Reply 4
Smoke weed.
Reply 5
I have the same situation here. I got a conditional offer for Economics at Cambridge, A* in furthermaths or Econs. Results were out last monday and I failed to meet the offer by slight margin, I wonder if retaking both subjects will help or do I get rejected straight away?
Reply 6
Original post by CheyLYX
I got conditional offers from UCL, Edinburgh, Kings, York and Leicester. Planning to make Edinburgh my firm and Leicester my insurance. I think York is the only one who said achieve the results by August.... They didnt specify I had to meet the offer in one sitting so that's why I asked O.o So I should go and email them for confirmation? Oh and yes my exam board is CIE and the website says the results are out, but we haven't received them :/ Now is the oh so painful waiting part...

haha ok..my board was cie too btw for the oct/nov session...got my results on 23rd. Dont worry too much and also which subjects did you take? Btw..in the event of a retake confirm with university the exact date in august till which your allowed as it could prove trouble later on as CIE gives it out only by mid or end august.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gab.tan
I have the same situation here. I got a conditional offer for Economics at Cambridge, A* in furthermaths or Econs. Results were out last monday and I failed to meet the offer by slight margin, I wonder if retaking both subjects will help or do I get rejected straight away?

Results for both your Econ and Further Maths A-Levels came out and you didn't meet the A* they asked for? I think you definitely need to get it, either by having a remark if you think it's a close call, or retaking the exam in June. There are those rare cases I have heard where a student doesn't meet the offer but still admits into Cambridge, but I don't think you should risk doing nothing. Grats on the offer anyway, I have one too :smile: which college did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest