The Student Room Group

Why do people get annoyed at Scottish Uni Fees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scotland369
Read previous posts- not our fault.

do I go around complaining to Scottish people? Am I blaming you? Read my post - not blaming Scottish people

I am saying the uni system set up is unfair towards RUK students. The world doesn't revolve around Scottish people incase you didn't know, just because someone complains about something your gov. decides doesn't mean they are blaming the people who are powerless to do anything about it.

The only fair way is either charge the entire EU or give the Entire EU for free with a cap on the RUK students.
Original post by Besakt
How does that even imply in the slightest that he doesn't know where Scotland is?

Because he somehow can't comprehend that Scotland pays towards British taxes, which it does. :smile: Being whiny and bitchy towards Scottish people when it isn't actually their fault does no one any good. Just makes you look like you are uninformed.
Reply 62
Original post by Spawn of Descartes
The thing which annoys me is that EU countries also get uni for free, but English students don't.

And the thing that stops you from studying for almost nothing down in Europe. If you didn't bother to learn a foreign language . Tough. If you do all of Europe is happy to welcome you in their unis.
Original post by Mr. Z
Read what I've said again, and find the bit where I said Scottish people don't pay British taxes..

Wish people would learn to read carefully before using the internet....

Fair enough. You didn't say it explicitly but your post implied it. :wink:

Why don't you put your time and energy in trying to get a fairer education system for yourself, rather than bitching about something that isn't actually the people of Scotland's fault?

Try and get a devolved parliament or something? I realise it is unfair, and I disagree with it, but you aren't showing yourself in the best light, complaining about it as though we all wanted it.
Reply 64
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Because he somehow can't comprehend that Scotland pays towards British taxes, which it does. :smile: Being whiny and bitchy towards Scottish people when it isn't actually their fault does no one any good. Just makes you look like you are uninformed.

Nobody is being whiny towards Scottish people.

Yes? Doesn't mean that you should continue to whine about Scotland. I know it is unfair, but sitting about whining won't solve your problems. Think of another tactic then to try and get free education in England? Campaign for a devolved parliament perhaps?

What you really should be complaining about, is that you haven't got your own devolved parliament to make these decisions for you, in your best interest.

I disagree with the fact that you don't get free education, I think the SNP are silly the way they are spending money, giving out free stuff left, right and centre, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Again nobody is whining like others have said you should read comments properly before commenting.
Original post by Besakt
Nobody is being whiny towards Scottish people.

Again nobody is whining like others have said you should read comments properly before commenting.

Looks like it to me, perhaps you should make that clearer in your posts? Hard to get tone on the internet remember.

Also, if you aren't being whiny by saying 'Oh it is so unfair' what are you being?
Reply 66
Fair enough. You didn't say it explicitly but your post implied it. :wink:

Why don't you put your time and energy in trying to get a fairer education system for yourself, rather than bitching about something that isn't actually the people of Scotland's fault?

Try and get a devolved parliament or something? I realise it is unfair, and I disagree with it, but you aren't showing yourself in the best light, complaining about it as though we all wanted it.

Oh my word... STOP ASSUMING THINGS.

1. I don't dislike the university fees in England
2. I never said that it was the people of Scotland's fault and I don't think this.
3. How would I go about getting a devolved parliament? I don't want a devolved parliament, I want nobody to have one. I want one single government in Westminster.
4. I haven't said that you wanted it.
Reply 67
the thing that annoys us is why should the scottish get free tuition and EU students for that matter but english students are kicked in the head with 9k a year ... we pay the same taxes so why ?
Lucky buggers :holmes:
Reply 69
Looks like it to me, perhaps you should make that clearer in your posts? Hard to get tone on the internet remember.

Also, if you aren't being whiny by saying 'Oh it is so unfair' what are you being?

Maybe you should take a second to actually read the comment before replying, there's a thought.

I'm not being anything, I just think equity is very important.
Am I correct thinking that people from Scotland get a much lower maintenance loan / grant than English? I know what I'd rather have.
Original post by Mr. Z
Oh my word... STOP ASSUMING THINGS.

1. I don't dislike the university fees in England
2. I never said that it was the people of Scotland's fault and I don't think this.
3. How would I go about getting a devolved parliament? I don't want a devolved parliament, I want nobody to have one. I want one single government in Westminster.
4. I haven't said that you wanted it.

So then what is your problem?
Original post by Besakt
Maybe you should take a second to actually read the comment before replying, there's a thought.

I'm not being anything, I just think equity is very important.

Sorry, what did I miss?

And you aren't being anything, so you are neutral on this issue?:K:
Im annoyed becuase my law teacher told me that
the same Sottish mp/parliment members who voted for no fees in Scotland, came down and voted in our (England's) vote as to wether we had to pay or not. And they voted that we should carry on paying. that not very nice.
Reply 74
So then what is your problem?

That Scotland has a devolved parliament that gives them free tution fees, all funded for by UK taxes, those coming from Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
Reply 75
Original post by Mr. Z
That "set amount of money" comes from British taxes. *face palm*

So should Scotland not get any money from Britain?

How much of our taxes have you guys used on the Olympics?! Obviously spening 24 Billion on a sporting event that last a month is more important than spending that money helping people to go to uni?
Reply 76
Original post by aroy45
I've often heard people on TSR saying how angry we are that here in Scotland our Unis are free.

Surely that's just how we choose to use the money given to us?

And also, it benefits thousands of people - without them there is no way I could afford to go to uni.

Discuss?

Firstly, I doubt people are "angry" - it's not as if we are being forced to apply to the two scottish unis that are charging an extra £9,000, people in England have a lot of choice. I think people are irritated that they will be in the minority of people in their year paying once you take into account scots and EU nationals.

Also, it has no effect whatsoever on whether you could afford to go to uni or not, as you don't pay a single penny in fees up front anyway, so it makes no difference to you at all.

A lot of English people will still apply to St Andrews and Edinburgh, as they may see the extra £9k as a worthy investment (I've applied!), however some may simply be put off by both the extra year and the fact that it means more debt when they graduate.
Original post by Mr. Z
That Scotland has a devolved parliament that gives them free tution fees, all funded for by UK taxes, those coming from Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

N.B Wales have free education.

Fair enough. :smile: So you said that you don't mind paying fees, does that mean you would take away free fees from Scotland and Wales?
Reply 78
Sorry, what did I miss?

And you aren't being anything, so you are neutral on this issue?:K:

The fact that I am not whining.

No I'm not neutral on this policy Scottish MPs voted for tuition fees in England and none in Scotland.
Original post by NatashaLee
Im annoyed becuase my law teacher told me that
the same Sottish mp/parliment members who voted for no fees in Scotland, came down and voted in our (England's) vote as to wether we had to pay or not. And they voted that we should carry on paying. that not very nice.

That is crap! Are you sure that all of the Scotland members did this yeah? They give Scotland a bad name.

Quick Reply

Latest