The Student Room Group

Why do people get annoyed at Scottish Uni Fees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bestofyou
We care they are free to the entire EU except RUK students which is totally unfair discrimination.

It's EU law.

I think it is a good thing that the Scots chose to give their students free uni. But to charge another UK naitonal 9000% more is ridiculous. Fair enough RUK applications would increase. But all they have to do is put a cap on the number of RUK students allowed to study there.

The majority of Scottish unis are not charging £9,000 unlike England. However if a Scottish student was to go to England they would have to pay £9,000. Also, if they put a cap on RUK students you'd whine about how that was discrimination. :rolleyes:
Original post by Espa
I honestly don't get why EU students get free education. We're an EU country too, I'm an EU student because I live in England. I don't understand how someone from another country who is also a member of the EU can study here for free and yet I can't.

It's EU law. Because England is not an EU country, the UK is.
Original post by ZombieCharge
It's EU law.

It was once a law that blacks couldn't vote. Does that make it ok? No, just because something is law doesn't automatically make it fair.

There was once a law that meant I couldn't vote at 18, I wouldn't have been able to get a government job, my application to some non-gov. jobs could be thrown away based purely on my religion no questions asked and I would be at the bottom of the housing list behind people that didn't need a house forcing me to live with about 20other people (maybe more) in a same house in some urban slum, again based on my religion. This was allowed by your westminster government, does that make it ok?

Are you honestly saying that it should be ok that RUK students have to pay while the rest of the EU doesn't?

I know you'll say yes, so provide an explaination as to why it is ok, and don't say 'Ohohohoho it's EUUUUUUUUUU LAW!!!'

The majority of Scottish unis are not charging £9,000 unlike England. However if a Scottish student was to go to England they would have to pay £9,000. Also, if they put a cap on RUK students you'd whine about how that was discrimination. :rolleyes:

You see the difference there is that England isn't giving English students £3500 while charging Scots £9000. Think of it in reverse. Imagine the entire EU got free uni in the UK (ex.Scotland) but Scottish students had to pay £9000 if they study outside Scotland. Would that be fair?

I'm not whining about anything. I'm currently in Scotland studying paying less that £1000 a semester much less if you take the bursary the uni gives me into account. If I dropout and go back to Ireland I'll still be paying £3500 as NI has kept their fees the same for NI students but charges -£9000 for everyone else.

So I have nothing to whine about. I am just saying it is unfair. As I am not affected by these fees I am a neutral in this, and I can clearly see it is unfair.

And as far as I know, most decent (or the ones that RUK students would be aiming for at least) are charging £9k and having more 3yr courses or capping 4yr courses at £27k (how generous).

And no I would whine about putting a cap on RUK students. I don't see it as unfair if they take home students before RUK ones, which I believe they already do to an extent anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by ZombieCharge
It's EU law. Because England is not an EU country, the UK is.

That still doesn't make sense, England is part of the UK so it is an EU country. If EU law didn't apply to the UK then why can the EU courts make rulings on female/male insurance costs, the cleanliness of our beaches etc. It just seems like a contradiction :-\
Original post by Espa
That still doesn't make sense, England is part of the UK so it is an EU country. If EU law didn't apply to the UK then why can the EU courts make rulings on female/male insurance costs, the cleanliness of our beaches etc. It just seems like a contradiction :-\

No, England is not part of the EU; the UK is. England is not viewed as a state by the EU but rather a region of the UK and regions of the same country are free to sort out their own fee arrangements.

Quick Reply

Latest