Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Transport Statement

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Transport Statement, Rt Hon MorgsieThis Government believes Rail will play a vital role in re-stimulating the Economy and to tackle the problem of Climate Change. Since the Privatisation of the Railways back in the 1990s passenger numbers have increased yet the network has kept the same.

This Government will introduce a Bill which aims to expand the Rail network by Reopening Lines that were closed in the 1960s as part of the Beeching Axe and those that were closed under Barbara Castle. Two projects that will be included in the Bill are the East-West Rail Link and the reopening of the Lewes-Uckfield Line. The 2009 ATOC Report entitled “Connecting Communities, Expanding Access to the Rail Network” will be looked at for further reopening ideas.

This Government will introduce a Bill that will build a High Speed Line to Scotland in 2 phases, phase 1 will be from London to Manchester and Leeds and phase 2 will be from Manchester and Leeds to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Both the West Coast and East Coast Main Lines are congested, HS2 will free up capacity on both lines. HS2 will help revitalise the economies of the North of England and Scotland and also regenerate cities. HS2 to Scotland will compete with the Domestic Air Market.

The Manchester area is currently congested; in response to this problem the Government will implement the Northern Hub project in full. The Northern Hub will help revitalise the economies of the North by improving the rail network. There will be more trains and quicker journey times in the region.

The Great Western Main Line is set to be electrified from London to Bristol, Cardiff, Newbury and Oxford. This Government will extend Crossrail from Maidenhead to Reading and transfer the London to Reading stopping Service from the Greater Western Franchise to the Crossrail concession.

Currently Network Rail is funded by taxpayers but it is not accountable. A Royal Commission will be established to look at ways to reform Network Rail including its Governance structure and the amount of bonuses paid because the Government believes that bonuses should be paid for exceptional performance. The Office of Rail Regulation has found that Network Rail has breached its license by performing poorly regarding freight and long distance passengers targets. The Office of Rail Regulation is prosecuting Network Rail for a breach of Health and Safety Laws regarding the Grayrigg crash.

We will be look at transferring the Governance of the Channel Tunnel to the European Rail Agency because the Treaty of Canterbury 1986 pre date the advances of EU Rail Policy. There are three main problems about the Channel Tunnel which are safety, charges and access. The safety standards of the Tunnel which is the responsibility of the Inter-Governmental Commission established by the Treaty of Canterbury are higher than the European Union’s safety standards. There is a lack of transparency over the access charges and the charges are too high. The French operator SNCF is opposed to more operators operating services through the Tunnel. The current usage of the Tunnel is less than the maximum capacity.

I commend this Statement to the House.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to the transport sec for putting out such a thorough statement.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I oppose this bill - no public money for private profit!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddog Jones)
    I oppose this bill - no public money for private profit!
    This is a Statement outlining the Agenda, Not a Bill.

Which way you vote on the Bills I will produce, is your Prerogative
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very thorough, but since my colleagues wish to attack TSR UKIP Bills for a lack of figures (and yes I know this isn't a Bill before others jump on my comments), where is all the money coming from for this wish list of improvements? In times of austerity, the above wish list is nice, but is it realistic? I don't particularly feel that it is. I welcome this statement from the Right Honourable gentleman, but it seems to me to be unrealistic in times of austerity. Of course I look forward to seeing his proposals for funding such a set of proposals.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Very thorough, but since my colleagues wish to attack TSR UKIP Bills for a lack of figures (and yes I know this isn't a Bill before others jump on my comments), where is all the money coming from for this wish list of improvements? In times of austerity, the above wish list is nice, but is it realistic? I don't particularly feel that it is. I welcome this statement from the Right Honourable gentleman, but it seems to me to be unrealistic in times of austerity. Of course I look forward to seeing his proposals for funding such a set of proposals.
    Thank you for question about the finance. Rail finance is a very complex issue

State funding via Network Rail.
    Private funding: TOCs and Businesses
    For HS2 we are looking at EU Funds.

Currently, profit making TOCs pay a Franchise Premium, some of that money will be targeted towards the projects mentioned.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Thank you for question about the finance. Rail finance is a very complex issue

State funding via Network Rail.
    Private funding: TOCs and Businesses
    For HS2 we are looking at EU Funds.

Currently, profit making TOCs pay a Franchise Premium, some of that money will be targeted towards the projects mentioned.
    Do you have figures though? Without any concrete figures, it's still little more than a wishlist. Are you looking at clobbering rail users with even higher fares to fund these projects which are really longterm projects? Is there really money in the EU for this project? If we can't afford it ourselves, then I don't believe that we should be going cap in hand elsewhere. We should look to fund these projects when we can, but without figures, these projects are little more than dreams really.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah really nice Morgie, shows commitment and a real sense of effort

Would rate you but I can't
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you have figures though? Without any concrete figures, it's still little more than a wishlist. Are you looking at clobbering rail users with even higher fares to fund these projects which are really longterm projects? Is there really money in the EU for this project? If we can't afford it ourselves, then I don't believe that we should be going cap in hand elsewhere. We should look to fund these projects when we can, but without figures, these projects are little more than dreams really.
    Figures will be provided in the Bills. Fares are kept in line with the rate of inflation. Regarding EU funding, very complex matter. We are looking into TEN-T Funding.
    http://ec.europa.eu/transport/infras...funding_en.htm

This is about investing so the UK Economy can grow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    HS2 is a complete waste of time between London and Birmingham. Just spend the money on infrastructure improvements for everyone, not business people. Gotta love partisan speeches from "ministers" though. Diss Beeching (a tory), diss Barbara Castle (Labour) ... so this makes this person a ... a ... Lie Down?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    HS2 is a complete waste of time between London and Birmingham. Just spend the money on infrastructure improvements for everyone, not business people. Gotta love partisan speeches from "ministers" though. Diss Beeching (a tory), diss Barbara Castle (Labour) ... so this makes this person a ... a ... Lie Down?
    I am sorry but I disagree with you. Both the WCML and the ECML are congested and this problem will get worse if we do not build HS2 to Scotland. Infrastructure improvements is a patch and mend job.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Figures will be provided in the Bills. Fares are kept in line with the rate of inflation. Regarding EU funding, very complex matter. We are looking into TEN-T Funding.
    http://ec.europa.eu/transport/infras...funding_en.htm

This is about investing so the UK Economy can grow.
    Potentially loans within that which is further debt for the UK economy - not exactly a great idea in the current climate. This whole statement is about pledging money we don't have (and we don't even know how much we are pledging) to mire the economy in more debt. Yes it stimulates the economy, but it's state driven rather than private sector driven stimulus. The fact that you can't even spell out figures and how much you expect to raise from each source shows that there is no conviction behind this statement and ultimately no ideas about how to move on beyond this statement. If the costs are to be provided in the Bills, why not just spell them out here so that we can scrutinise them now. Surely that would be more appropriate since we are discussing your plans now?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry but I disagree with you. Both the WCML and the ECML are congested and this problem will get worse if we do not build HS2 to Scotland. Infrastructure improvements is a patch and mend job.
    HS2 will shave a little more than 15 minutes off current travel times. You fail to offer to do anything about existing bottlenecks in the system such as Reading (yes, I know improvements and upgrades are happening there as we speak). You fail to offer anything for people living south of Bristol, west of Cardiff, along the Cambrian line, north of Edinburgh, improvements to the line to Aberdeen, re-opening local links to make the rail network more logical and more servicable. Oh no, let's focus solely on the business commuters to London. Either we want a rail service for the 21st Century or we continue to use 20th century models? That's what HS2 offers. I'd urge the Lie Down to think again about his policies. They aren't fit for purpose.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    HS2 will shave a little more than 15 minutes off current travel times. You fail to offer to do anything about existing bottlenecks in the system such as Reading (yes, I know improvements and upgrades are happening there as we speak). You fail to offer anything for people living south of Bristol, west of Cardiff, along the Cambrian line, north of Edinburgh, improvements to the line to Aberdeen, re-opening local links to make the rail network more logical and more servicable. Oh no, let's focus solely on the business commuters to London. Either we want a rail service for the 21st Century or we continue to use 20th century models? That's what HS2 offers. I'd urge the Lie Down to think again about his policies. They aren't fit for purpose.
    I urge this gentleman to look at the Devolution Settlements because under the Government of Wales Act 2006 and the Scotland Act 1998 rail policy is devolved to the Welsh Government and the Scottish Government.

When the GWML Electrification is completed the Class 165 and Class 166 Turbos will be cascaded to the West Country. HS2 is Going to Scotland which will cut rail journey times to 3 hours and will compete with the domestic air market.

WE have a Victorian rail system and I am trying to modernise it
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, firstly, good job Morgan.

Secondly, no toronto we don't have perfect figures, sadly we don't have a civil service. In general we will be taking money saved from the redirection of other funds.

Thirdly, Morgan, don't go there. Adorno will rape you and will pull absolutely no punches. You are not equipped to do battle.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Secondly, no toronto we don't have perfect figures, sadly we don't have a civil service. In general we will be taking money saved from the redirection of other funds.
    I am asking for ballpark figures not specific ones. If TSR UKIP's Bills are to be criticised on this very issue, then so too should other Bills and indeed statements be criticised. If there are no figures, then this is little more than dreamland policy.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am asking for ballpark figures not specific ones. If TSR UKIP's Bills are to be criticised on this very issue, then so too should other Bills and indeed statements be criticised. If there are no figures, then this is little more than dreamland policy.
    As is yours, though ours is a little more realistic and a little less horribly awful

In seriousness though, we'll get what figures we can. Chancellor is busy with... something? at the moment and Morgsie lacks economic know how.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only figures I know are the costs for projects.

HS2 to Leeds/Manchester approximately £30 billion
    The East-West Rail Link will cost £530 million and Chiltern Railways are contributing some of the funds.
    Regards the Lewes-Uckfield Reinstatement, various bodies are coming up with different costs

Here is the 2009 ATOC Report:
    http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File...Report_S10.pdf
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    As is yours, though ours is a little more realistic and a little less horribly awful

In seriousness though, we'll get what figures we can. Chancellor is busy with... something? at the moment and Morgsie lacks economic know how.
    Thank you for the answer, but then why was this submitted with no figures in mind whatsoever. It seems a little pointless to me to submit something while there is no-one who is able to answer simple questions about how much this will cost. Your Chancellor has been seen posting in Applications and UCAS so why he hasn't bothered to post or even back up this Bill perhaps says a lot both about your choice of Chancellor and the lack of joined up thinking within this Government.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see Greener to stop being so self centred over issues in Southern England, she says that HS2 will bring "More money to the North East" which is pure rubbish as the route hardly goes past it!

Here in Northumberland, we've been campaigning for YEARS to dual the entirety of the A1 through the county but it always falls on deaf ears in parliament and never gets the green light. Then look at HS2, that issue soon becomes the "Talk of the house" and gets passed in no time, almost 10 months since the route got planned out.

I also honestly find it quite funny that all these people who live in the Chilterns campaigning against it, if they knew the tories supported it, then why on earth did they vote for them in 2010!?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.