The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Arsey would I lose marks for not working out the magnitude of the acceleration. 2 b) I just left it as (2i - 24j) ms^-2
Reply 81
I really hope you guys are wrong about the high grade boundaries! I think I got something like 60 (but I couldn't remember all of my answers so I tended to mark myself down rather than up) and I was feeling pretty good about it until people started talking about the A boundary being at 68/69/70 :frown:

This is the kind of paper where UMS scores really aren't fair as all the super clever people take these modules and so the poor only-slightly-clever people end up with D's!
Reply 82
Original post by daniiibrains
I did the exact same thing! Frustrating :angry: But the rest of the answers look familiar, so I hope I'll still be okay :smile:

yeah, i mean i didnt do many past papers...i kind of slacked off for m2, so i wasnt really paying attention on that one..funny thing is, i felt most confident with those types of questions..what a bummer...hopefully we'll get 2 marks out of 5...that should safely put us above 90ums..i wasted this opportunity. have you asked anyone with good knowledge on how much one would typically lose for such a mistake?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by HarrietFR
I really hope you guys are wrong about the high grade boundaries! I think I got something like 60 (but I couldn't remember all of my answers so I tended to mark myself down rather than up) and I was feeling pretty good about it until people started talking about the A boundary being at 68/69/70 :frown:

This is the kind of paper where UMS scores really aren't fair as all the super clever people take these modules and so the poor only-slightly-clever people end up with D's!

reason people get high marks is that they practice loads of past papers. And this was just a repetition of all those questions. Hopefully u get what you want. there's always a June. :cool:
Reply 84
Think its time for a new syllabus
Reply 85
Original post by agent87
Arsey would I lose marks for not working out the magnitude of the acceleration. 2 b) I just left it as (2i - 24j) ms^-2
no
Reply 86
Original post by Ulgoo
What about 4)b) where I put 44 degrees because I've often seen it to the nearest degree in past papers?

should be fine
For 7b. instead of using the exact time, I used my 3sf time (1.84) so I got velocity (going up to be -6.032) and used this to get a speed of 8.51 (3sf). I also used this for the time where it is travelling at the same speed for C and got t=0.609 (3sf). Will these still get me full marks??? Cheers
Reply 88
Original post by Arsey
should be fine

hey arsey,

question 3b...added 75gsin5 to 75gsin5+20...my value of AB wrong...i got the correct loss in K.e. and but i equated it to the wrong values for resistive force..how many marks do i lose?
Reply 89
Original post by Arsey
Phoebe

I have read this about 3 times and I can not work out what you mean.

Integrating v = 2ti - 3t^2j to give s = t^2i - t^3j will be M1 A1 regardless of c

substituting in t = 1 (into your equation for a) and setting it equal to -4i + j will be M1

correctly working out s = (t^2 - 5)i + (2 - t^3)j will be A1

Subbing in t = 4 to give s = 11i - 62j will be A1

I doubt they will allow any follow through marks for the final two accuracy marks.

How many marks do you think you got?

This is the problem with the paper, it doesn't differentiate between the good and the very good students.

Thanks arsey... Basically i got v = 2ti - 3t^2j to give s = t^2i - t^3j and then i subbed in t = 1 BUT this came out as (wrongly) -...1^2 -1^3 so i forgot the i and j... however i set this '0' answer equal to -4i + j to give C = -4i+ j.. so do you reckon i droped 2 or 3 of the 5 marks? This could be the different between and A and A* :frown: arghhh..

Thanks again.. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by MW94
Think its time for a new syllabus

I heard a new one's coming in 2014 or something.
*sigh* this is kind of unfair. I found the paper easy but when I got to the last question, a fly in the exam room decided to annoy the hell out of me. It brought my concentration down and i ended up forgetting to divide g/2 in 7.a meaning i got the wrong value for t, how much marks am I expecting to lose in this question? There should be follow through in b and c so that means if i had the correct method in those questions, i should still get full marks there yeah?
Original post by Zhy
I heard a new one's coming in 2014 or something.

Where did you hear that? :confused:
Reply 93
Original post by snow leopard
Where did you hear that? :confused:

I phoned up Edexcel and one of their consultants told me that they are considering launching a new specification in late 2013 to be implemented hopefully from 2014 onwards. This phonecall happened in about September/October 2011.

When he said '2013', I was a little worried because I'll still be in school in 2013, so was wondering if it would affect me. He assured me that it wouldn't because it isn't going to take effect in 2013, and even if it did they'd still run the old course as a legacy for people to sit for a couple of years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zhy
I phoned up Edexcel and one of their consultants told me that they are considering launching a new specification in late 2013 to be implemented hopefully from 2014 onwards. This phonecall happened in about September/October 2011.

When he said '2013', I was a little worried because I'll still be in school in 2013, so was wondering if it would affect me. He assured me that it wouldn't because it isn't going to take effect in 2013, and even if it did they'd still run the old course as a legacy for people to sit for a couple of years.

Right I see. It'll be interesting to see how they'll create a 'new' specification. The last time they changed things was in 2008, and that was just a reissue of the old one with minor changes to Decision and Further Pure. Core can't really be affected because all the exam boards have to cover the same things in that area. Maybe they'll extend some applied unit series, like bring in an M6, M7, or even merge existing ones.
Reply 95
Original post by snow leopard
Right I see. It'll be interesting to see how they'll create a 'new' specification. The last time they changed things was in 2008, and that was just a reissue of the old one with minor changes to Decision and Further Pure. Core can't really be affected because all the exam boards have to cover the same things in that area. Maybe they'll extend some applied unit series, like bring in an M6, M7, or even merge existing ones.

I would love that. The old content from S5, S6 and M6 was never put into the new stats/mechanics modules, but the content is very nice. It's a shame because S5/S6 appear to be quite useful for STEP problems because the questions in the textbook seem more like problem solving-type questions.

Well, I would love that, but I won't be here to enjoy it if they did that.

Are they really going to make it linear? Linear exams are probably harder, I think.
Bit dissapointed that after an incredibly easy Jun 11 paper, they were unable to reaugment the difficulty for the Jan paper. It looks like I got 75, but its just uneasing when their is no real way to distinguish between candidates of different ability because every part of the paper was extremely accessible.
Original post by Ibreiwish
hey arsey,

question 3b...added 75gsin5 to 75gsin5+20...my value of AB wrong...i got the correct loss in K.e. and but i equated it to the wrong values for resistive force..how many marks do i lose?

Same, bloody stupid
Just wondering, in some places I wrote the answers to 2 sig...like the coefficient of friction to be 0.29...would I lose marks?
Reply 99
Original post by Phoebe x
Thanks arsey... Basically i got v = 2ti - 3t^2j to give s = t^2i - t^3j and then i subbed in t = 1 BUT this came out as (wrongly) -...1^2 -1^3 so i forgot the i and j... however i set this '0' answer equal to -4i + j to give C = -4i+ j.. so do you reckon i droped 2 or 3 of the 5 marks? This could be the different between and A and A* :frown: arghhh..

Thanks again.. :smile:

3 marks gone will be a minimum of 90ums. 2 will be a minimum of 93.

What did you get in D2

Latest

Trending

Trending