The Student Room Group

I feel so disconnected from my parents' culture...and it has been making me depressed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by ummdhibun
As regards to culture, i can't stand my own culture as well. Sometimes you just need to hang in there, and deal with it until you can be free =(

Gosh it's awful, I hate the idea of 'sticking it out' as it just damages me, but I will be leaving for uni in September. There are aspects I can't stand about the culture. I always feel as though I was born into the wrong family. I have stayed for far too long, but I will having therapy soon to deal with all that has happened and to deal with my mental health issues.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Please keep anon.

I really don't know how to explain this, so please bear with me. I have had a very turbulent childhood. I was abused from a young age until into my late teens. It's only when I attempted suicide nearly a couple of years ago that the abuse is becoming non-existant but I still suffer with the emotional scars, self-destructive tendancies, dangerous negative feelings and suicidal thoughts. I have written a couple of threads before on my situations:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1514118

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30457186

My problem is I feel so disconnected with my parents' culture sometimes. I know the food we eat, and family values. I understand the language but I can't speak it :frown: I was born and brought up in Britain so this is the place I call home but I don't want to lose my roots despite what has happened. I wish my parents had spoken more of the language from a young age rather than speaking English to me most of the time. So I want to know about keeping in touch with my roots? I still consider myself British, but I am made to feel like an outcast because I am not perfect and don't know every single thing about Nigeria and can't speak the language.

Sometimes I feel negative about the culture, because of the abuse (the abuse is very much linked to the culture, because that's how a lot of families treat their kids where my parents are from, and kids don't have much of a voice or a social standing). Also there is the lack of individuality and lack of freedom of choice. Maybe that's why there is so much negativity inside me, because my parents spent most of my childhood abusing me and not being very encouraging instead of immersing me in the culture (positive aspects) and language a lot more than they did.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense....but I needed to vent...I am trying to familiarise myself with culture...but I need some advice...

Thanks

To be honest, if the nature of the culture is the cause of your situation in the first place, and it makes you sad, and your parents abusive and the culture is catalysing of this, maybe it's better you are not immersed in it.
Reply 182
I hope you understand, but I rather not PM anyone, as I want my identity to remain secret.

Can you discuss your experiences?

Sure, what do you wanna talk about?
Reply 183
Gosh it's awful, I hate the idea of 'sticking it out' as it just damages me, but I will be leaving for uni in September. There are aspects I can't stand about the culture. I always feel as though I was born into the wrong family. I have stayed for far too long, but I will having therapy soon to deal with all that has happened and to deal with my mental health issues.

Sometimes therapy doesn't [i can't tell you from my own experience since i hate doctors, but i know people who are on emedication and stuff] I know that feeling - of not belonging in my family because we're so different. But sometimes you have to learn to go with the flow. Other times you can confront you parents about culture. And other times you annoy the hell out of them in order to go your way.
Reply 184
Original post by NavyBlueAndPearls
To be honest, if the nature of the culture is the cause of your situation in the first place, and it makes you sad, and your parents abusive and the culture is catalysing of this, maybe it's better you are not immersed in it.

Okay...

I mean I am gradually trying to learn the language a bit more, and I love to cook the food (I'm not the best cook but I like to try) but I want to avoid the negative aspects of culture.

I've even thought that I wouldn't want to have kids because a) I wouldn't want them to have the mental health issues I have b) A part of me feels as though I would be a bad parent c) I wouldn't want to bring a child into a cruel world like this d) I wouldn't want my child to be born into a family and a culture where abuse is the norm. I know I wouldn't abuse my child, and I know I wouldn't want to end up being in an abusive marriage, and I know I don't want my kids to grow up in an abusive household, but the problem is, abuse is cyclical, it gets passed on. I worry that my parents may hurt my child. I can't guarentee everything.
Reply 185
Sure, what do you wanna talk about?

Well, how did you manage to get out, and how did you deal with the aftermath of getting out of a situation like that?
Reply 186
Sometimes therapy doesn't [i can't tell you from my own experience since i hate doctors, but i know people who are on emedication and stuff] I know that feeling - of not belonging in my family because we're so different. But sometimes you have to learn to go with the flow. Other times you can confront you parents about culture. And other times you annoy the hell out of them in order to go your way.

Well I've had counselling, which has helped me so much to discuss stuff and to get everything off my chest. It also helps because you talk to someone who isn't judgemental and listens to you, so I don't feel like an idiot when I am expressing my feelings.

My doctor knows of my family problems, so she suggested that she could prescribe me anti-depressants (I was in such a bad way when I saw her) but I said no. I went back to her again and she referred me to have CBT. I (believe I) have bouts of depression and regularly have suicidal thoughts (I attempted almost two years ago) and so I realised (and others who know of my situation said) that I needed to get help to deal with my negative thoughts, because they really do take over my life sometimes. I really hope it works, I am also thinking of having psychotherapy or counselling alongside CBT.
Reply 187
Well, how did you manage to get out, and how did you deal with the aftermath of getting out of a situation like that?

Well you'd need to know my back round for me to give you a comprehensive answer:

Firstly i grew up in a household full of grown men - all my four paternal uncles, my father, mother, granmother, and granfather. So i was exposed to many things that can only be said as reserved for adults.
Because i grew up in such a household i was more of a boy than a girl - so i didn't fit in in school since i went to a girls school.
I was also going through alot of family problems that i don't really want to mention.
But yeah, there's my life about until the age of 15: Bullying and Family problems.

I went into things like self-harm, and attempted suicide a few times - but i always used to back out in the last second. I never went for therapy or counselling or anything like that. I was on the ledge of my bedroom window one night, and i was thinking to myself. I was thinking about what would happen after i die if i were to commit suicide right now. A rush of questions hit my head. Questions like what is the purpose of Life? What am i doing here? If there is a god out there, then would he love me if i do this?

So, in a way, my therapy was searching for an answer to life - looking through religions. As soon as i found one - i didn;t need to tell anyone of my problems - God was there to listen and He would choose what was right for me if i asked Him. I still have spurts of those feelings - not fitting i, wanting to end it all, wanting to run away; but i know that i have to hold on - for God's sake and focus on making Him happy if not anyone else.

I wuldn't advise anti-depresants - it give you an artificial feeling that does last.
Reply 188
Hey guys I'm back on again. I'm okay at the moment, and will go into therapy soon, but I need to ask something. I might sound daft, but here goes...

In my previous posts including the one above, I have mentioned my parents being racist. My parents are also homophobic, but that's another thing.

I know I shouldn't argue with racist, narrow-minded people - you can't argue or reason with stupidity or ignorance. So I don't bother talking to them. I can't ever have a proper intellectual conversation with them anyway because they always seem to undermine me anyway.

The go on about mixed race relationships and mixed race people like there is something wrong there, like it's totally sinful and unnatural. They don't get their heads around why people would date other races. In their opinion, everyone should stick to their own. In their eyes, white people are bad people because of the slave trade and their position in the world. They believe that mixed-raced marriages and relationships never work out, and that mixed-raced kids will get bullied and will never belong anywhere. In my parents' eyes, it is all an abomination. I've been bullied before and I know from experience that anyone can be bullied for whatever reason. I've even spoken to some mixed-race people and they've had the best of both worlds, they've never felt as though they didn't belong anywhere, they just felt like another person, and they were raised well and stable, unlike myself.

I spoke to the reverend and the reverend's wife at my church. One of the things they said was that one day I will find someone who loves me for myself, and as long as there is love and other great aspects of the relationship (care, communication and trust) then colour and creed should not matter. They also looked at it from a religious stance, saying that we are all 'children of god' and stuff like that.

It's awkward hearing all that, but I know where it comes from. But I hate the idea that I am not allowed to fall in love with someone who treats me with respect and cares for me more than my parents ever did just because of some narrow-minded views. They make me feel as though I have some kind of obligation towards them, or like I'm some investment. All they have ever done is push me away with their actions. It sometimes makes me ashamed to be African - I hate to say it.

I know this sounds stupid, but do they have a point? I understand where their views come from, so am I stupid to think the way I do? I am very open-minded and I look beyond race.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I know this all sounds stupid, but I'm gradually going insane with everything that's going on at the moment. I'm made to feel as though I am not allowed to have a mind of my own and be an individual, and it really drives me insane to the point where I am nearly breaking down.

Also my mum always says that we are not wanted in this country, so we cannot identify as British, and she said that I shouldn't have mixed race kids because if we get deported they will not belong anywhere.
Reply 189
Also my mum always says that we are not wanted in this country, so we cannot identify as British, and she said that I shouldn't have mixed race kids because if we get deported they will not belong anywhere.

Are you illegal? If not why would you be deported?
Reply 190
You're what you think. So, think positive... :smile:
I hate when people go through experiences like yours.

Being black, it's ery likely for you to feel outcast because many people are racist and refuse to admit you into their culture. Your own culture may not accept you because you're not very much like them either.

It's a difficult thing to be a minority. You just have to stay strong.
Reply 192
Hi

Please keep anon.

I really don't know how to explain this, so please bear with me. I have had a very turbulent childhood. I was abused from a young age until into my late teens. It's only when I attempted suicide nearly a couple of years ago that the abuse is becoming non-existant but I still suffer with the emotional scars, self-destructive tendancies, dangerous negative feelings and suicidal thoughts. I have written a couple of threads before on my situations:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1514118

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30457186

My problem is I feel so disconnected with my parents' culture sometimes. I know the food we eat, and family values. I understand the language but I can't speak it :frown: I was born and brought up in Britain so this is the place I call home but I don't want to lose my roots despite what has happened. I wish my parents had spoken more of the language from a young age rather than speaking English to me most of the time. So I want to know about keeping in touch with my roots? I still consider myself British, but I am made to feel like an outcast because I am not perfect and don't know every single thing about Nigeria and can't speak the language.

Sometimes I feel negative about the culture, because of the abuse (the abuse is very much linked to the culture, because that's how a lot of families treat their kids where my parents are from, and kids don't have much of a voice or a social standing). Also there is the lack of individuality and lack of freedom of choice. Maybe that's why there is so much negativity inside me, because my parents spent most of my childhood abusing me and not being very encouraging instead of immersing me in the culture (positive aspects) and language a lot more than they did.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense....but I needed to vent...I am trying to familiarise myself with culture...but I need some advice...

Thanks

To get in touch with your roots you need to go back to your roots. I went back home for 6 weeks, and I believe that had I not, there would've been no other way to get in touch with my roots. I also take private classes to learn my mother tongue, not only do I learn the language, but also some of the traditions and values. About not having a voice, I've been through the same thing. I've come to see such treatment is typical of people of developing countries, as they are yet to 'get with the times'. Your intelligence dictates your particular connection with your environment, how you percieve the things around you, and how others percieve and treat you. Your mind is your most powerful tool. Use it to shape your environment around you and to overcome your obstacles.
Reply 193
Original post by Ebuwa
Are you illegal? If not why would you be deported?

Nope (I was born here and raised here) so I am a British citizen. But it seems to be a theory that my mum has, because "white people don't like us" and we are not English and there are a lot more obstacles as a black person (e.g. in employment).

I was wondering why she has this theory, she always says it, especially when talking about mixed race people and mixed race relationships. I'm not sure, but perhaps it might have something to do with what happened in Kenya or Uganda (???) when all the Asians were kicked out of the country.

I guess she prefers the idea of people sticking with each other and she is against races mixing. Same with my dad.
Reply 194
Hello

Same here, British and Western culture has made me who I am and it feels like a part of me.

I'm so glad I was born here, if I was born in Nigeria I don't know where I'd be with my life right now (probably 6 feet under). I don't think I could have survived because where would be the support network for someone like me?

Yes I have Nigerian roots but I am still British, I can't shake that off, just like I can't shake of my Nigeria roots. I eat the food, understand the dialect, considering leaving religion and go to events.

I guess I feel a sense of priority because I feel a bit ashamed, even though it's not my fault my parents didn't immerse me into learning the language from young.

What if you have kids? Would you want them to know of their Indian heritage?
Reply 195
Original post by rua93
You're what you think. So, think positive... :smile:

:smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Dragonfly07
I hate when people go through experiences like yours.

Being black, it's ery likely for you to feel outcast because many people are racist and refuse to admit you into their culture. Your own culture may not accept you because you're not very much like them either.

It's a difficult thing to be a minority. You just have to stay strong.

I am sometimes made to feel as though I am an outcast, because I am quite different (I have a modern way of thinking, I have a mind of my own so I view things differently, I speak English well, and I am young.) I am also made to feel guilty and often I am undermined and compare to others, because they are smarter, or they speak their mother tongue, or because I don't follow the crowd, or they don't have the mental health issues that I have, or because I just happen to have different views from others and a desire to be independent and an individual.

Some may see me as "too white" or "too English", but not being "Nigerian enough" so through their responses I feel as though they are pushing me away. I also find that some would expect me to choose between my heritage (British/Nigerian), which is something I refuse to do. Sometimes I do feel like I don't belong with my roots because of how I am treated by some. It's ironic because my mum was going on about how mixed race people don't belong anywhere and must be confused about their identity (see my previous posts on this) but she and my dad haven't done a very good job themselves of making me feel proud to be who am I as a person and making me feel like I belong because they have often undermined me, isolated me, insulted me, disregarded me, belittled me, bullied and abused me and treated me less than a human being. Because of them I feel completely damaged and lack a sense of belonging to their culture because of the way it treats children. At one point I was even ashamed of being black African because growing up, I often experienced and saw (and still see) a lot of abuse going on in African families, and I often heard people talk about African people in such a bad way because of it.

It is very hard to stay strong sometimes. If I didn't have any help and support I would be 6 feet under by now. It is very hard to be a minority as well sometimes - I am a black female, and on top of that, I have mental health issues. I often feel as though I have to jump through hoops just to be treated like a normal human being, or just to live a normal life.

:frown:
Reply 197
Original post by Ghostface
To get in touch with your roots you need to go back to your roots. I went back home for 6 weeks, and I believe that had I not, there would've been no other way to get in touch with my roots. I also take private classes to learn my mother tongue, not only do I learn the language, but also some of the traditions and values. About not having a voice, I've been through the same thing. I've come to see such treatment is typical of people of developing countries, as they are yet to 'get with the times'. Your intelligence dictates your particular connection with your environment, how you percieve the things around you, and how others percieve and treat you. Your mind is your most powerful tool. Use it to shape your environment around you and to overcome your obstacles.

I do find that there seems to be a backwards culture with backwards view on things. It makes me feel proud that I was born and raised here as well and I am so glad I do not have those views, and if I ever have kids, I shall not raise them amoung that kind of environment anyway.

It's almost like they seem to think that kids should be seen and not heard. Like out of side and out of mind. Absolutely victorian period way of thinking and absolutely pathetic.

I'm so glad that the people who have given me proper help and support over time for my problems took me seriously.
Reply 198
To answer the question, I would want my kids to be aware of their heritage, but I wouldn't impose it on them, or make them feel so obliged, and I wouldn't tell them that they are "not British" even though they were born and raised here.

As for grandchildren, well it depends.

And as for the bit in bold, I need to remember this, and I need to keep telling myself this. It's very true though, my heritage and race does not define me as a person. People treat me as though it should, but it really doesn't.
Reply 199
Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear...

Let's say I had kids with a white man, then they would be half Nigerian. Now there is no obligation - I would want my kids to be aware of their Nigerian heritage, just like they would be aware of their English/British heritage, but I wouldn't shove it down their throats, and I wouldn't tell they they are not allowed to be British or Western when they were born and bred here because they is stupid.

Let's say that one of my mixed race kids (half black half white) had a child with a white person, then my grandchild would be 1/4 Nigerian - if they wanted to be more aware of that heritage then fine. If not, then fine, whatever.

Sorry if I am not making any sense, but there really is no obligation. As long as they are born and bred here they will be British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending