The Student Room Group

Cosmopolitan Manchester

Does anyone have any experience of cosmo private halls on Grafton Street? On paper, they look like the best value for money out of all the private halls with en-suite, but I was wondering what the atmosphere is like and if it has any gripes. I see they've got a new development on Denmark Road for 2012 which seems a little more luxurious for a few extra quid a week, so I'd be tempted by that too.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe D

Original post by Joe D
Does anyone have any experience of cosmo private halls on Grafton Street? On paper, they look like the best value for money out of all the private halls with en-suite, but I was wondering what the atmosphere is like and if it has any gripes. I see they've got a new development on Denmark Road for 2012 which seems a little more luxurious for a few extra quid a week, so I'd be tempted by that too.

I was thinking about Cosmopolitan too, and as a result of my research I read that it was full of international students and that the atmosphere wasn't as lively as other private halls etc.

Whether this is true or not i'm not sure as I haven't lived there.
Trust me, they are not the cheapest en-suite private halls :wink: Wait until ManchesterStudentHomes.com has got all the listings for 2012/13 and you'll see what I mean. It has a bit of a reputation as a party halls around here if that swings you either way. How true that is I wouldn't know.
Reply 3
Original post by Aemiliana
Trust me, they are not the cheapest en-suite private halls :wink: Wait until ManchesterStudentHomes.com has got all the listings for 2012/13 and you'll see what I mean. It has a bit of a reputation as a party halls around here if that swings you either way. How true that is I wouldn't know.

Well I think they look like better value than anything offered by the other big companies, i.e. Unite, Mansion Group, Opal, Ladybarn House etc. Are you saying cosmo has a reputation as party halls? I keep hearing mixed things in that regard, and I don't want to be somewhere that's too socially challenged :P
Original post by Joe D

Original post by Joe D
Well I think they look like better value than anything offered by the other big companies, i.e. Unite, Mansion Group, Opal, Ladybarn House etc. Are you saying cosmo has a reputation as party halls? I keep hearing mixed things in that regard, and I don't want to be somewhere that's too socially challenged :P

Don't bother with the big companies, soon some individual landlords will be advertising their smaller private accommodation and they tend to offer much better value for money. It does from where I am ('halls' that are pretty quiet as no freshers are allowed) but that might just be because the people I know only know people there who party and not the others. Frankly, it's huge so there's going to be some noise. And nowhere is socially challenged, human beings will still live there and humans need social contact for a healthy and happy life.
Reply 5
Ive just applied for Cosmopolitan on Denmark Rd, after going and looking around a lot of halls on the open day I was really really disappointed with the university halls but when I went to look at cosmopolitan on grafton street they were clean, fresh and still modern even though they were built 5years ago so i cant wait to see what this new development will look like! When im moving away from home for the first time i want my flat to feel like home and them dingey uni halls just didnt do it for me! I found the same about the value too! I couldnt believe they wanted £115 for the dungeon like uni halls and £109 for cosmopolitan with a double bed and a proper en-suite instead of a wet room for a bathroom! Everyone is going to have complaints about each uni hall not every hall is going to be everyones taste but university live is what you make it at the end of the day.
I've gone for cosmopolitan on grafton street as im starting there as a postgrad. Any info about what its like would be great as i havent seen it except online!
Reply 7
I have been alloted a 2-bed apartment in Cosmopolitan on Grafton street. I am looking for a female who can share my apartment. I am a clean, vegetarian and a non-smoking girl from India. A standard room is available for a weekly rent of 101 GBP. Please let me know if any one is interested. I would be glad to share. I hope I hear from TSR members soon.
Reply 8
Did anyone go for the new development on Denmark Road?
im considering applying there, just wondering what others think of the place?
I've applied for cosmo on denmark rd... looks pretty decent and a good price ... compared to mansion house.
Reply 10
I was really really disappointed with the university halls but when I went to look at cosmopolitan on grafton street they were clean, fresh and still modern even though they were built 5years ago so i cant wait to see what this new development will look like! When im moving away from home for the first time i want my flat to feel like home and them dingey uni halls just didnt do it for me!
Reply 11
Ive gone for the new one on denamark road too! i was really dissappointed with the uni halls and was impressed with the 5 yr old cosmo halls so cant wait for this new one! the location of it is spot on too! :smile:
Reply 12
I've now also applied for cosmo accomodation on Denmark Road, just hope it's going to be as good as it looks!
Reply 13
i've just applied for the new cosmo accomodation on denmark road, i've got till the 1st may to confirm, i think it's seems one of the better private halls especially the price! i was just wondering about the thought of building work being a problem!

i was also wondering what unis you are all going to and courses etc!
Reply 14
Ive confirmed my offer, Flat 40 I think im in! Going to Uni of Manchester doing Adult Nursing. :smile:
Reply 15
I've also confirmed an offer and i'm in flat 36 block C i think :smile:
DO NOT live in Cosmo. I was unfortunate to book this place instead of university owned accommodation as I went through clearing and was struggling to find accommodation. It is full of unsociable international students. Yes the walls are neat and smooth but I would much rather have peeling walls and nice people!
The bathrooms need maintenance once a month otherwise they flood and it is by far the boringest and crappiest accommodation I have ever lived in :-) Go for MCR - I've booked into VP next year as it has local parking, much nicer accommodation even though it has a shared bathroom - the flats only have 3 bedrooms each so you're not sharing with many and you even get a proper bath! Plus cosmo's heaters are crap and as Manchester geographical location causes it to be rainy and cold most of the year round, you may just freeze in your room unless you invest in a personal heater or hot water bottle. It didn't feel like home for me and I cannot wait to move out.
Reply 17
I have also applied for the new halls on Denmark Road. Just hoping they accept my application now.
Reply 18
are you all first years? :smile:
Reply 19
i'll be a first year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending