The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Can someone please help me on 2 c) ii) of june 2011 paper.
Link: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Why is the percentage of gastric juice produced by nervous stimulation after one hour 80%?? :s-smilie:
I'm finding it really difficult to understand restriction mapping, like i understand that
-different restriction endonucleases are used which cut at specific recognition sequences
-there will be different lengths of fragments depending on type and number of enzymes used
-these lengths are determined using gel electrophoresis
Then what? i know that it shows you like smaller lengths so you can sequence that, but to sequence it would you use pcr to get more dna fragments? and then use sanger method? because how are you supposed to sequence one dna fragment.

anyones help would be great, thankyouuu!!
Original post by Anamika19
Can someone please help me on 2 c) ii) of june 2011 paper.
Link: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Why is the percentage of gastric juice produced by nervous stimulation after one hour 80%?? :s-smilie:

At time 1 hours, 2 volumes of gastric juice are produced by Hormonal stimulation and 8 by Nervous stimulation. So, in total 10 volumes are produced.

(8/10)*100 = 80%
Reply 263
Original post by NutterFrutter
At time 1 hours, 2 volumes of gastric juice are produced by Hormonal stimulation and 8 by Nervous stimulation. So, in total 10 volumes are produced.

(8/10)*100 = 80%

Coolio! Thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by Patchey1000
Don't worry essay is 25/100 marks 9 very easy marks (correct spelling and grammar, science, breath) you have to to pretty bad to get under 12 right, if you get 2/3s of the rest of the questions 50/75 + 12 for the essay that's 62 which is an A

:eek: 62 is an A? Woah.
Original post by Evanesyne

Roughly yeah, an A* is around 70.

Original post by swiftylol
Roughly yeah, an A* is around 70.

bear in mind this paper is out of 90

and

25 out of the 90 is for the synoptic essay.

so yeah pretty decent if you manage to get a good chunk of the normal exam questions right
Original post by James A
bear in mind this paper is out of 90

and

25 out of the 90 is for the synoptic essay.

so yeah pretty decent if you manage to get a good chunk of the normal exam questions right

I thought it was out of 100? 75 for the paper, and 25 for the essay
I thought it was out of 100? 75 for the paper, and 25 for the essay

Oh crap, yeah just realised it is out of 100..... well yeah i guess, still 75 marks up for grabs in the normal questions!
Reply 269
Original post by jessplease
I'm finding it really difficult to understand restriction mapping, like i understand that
-different restriction endonucleases are used which cut at specific recognition sequences
-there will be different lengths of fragments depending on type and number of enzymes used
-these lengths are determined using gel electrophoresis
Then what? i know that it shows you like smaller lengths so you can sequence that, but to sequence it would you use pcr to get more dna fragments? and then use sanger method? because how are you supposed to sequence one dna fragment.

anyones help would be great, thankyouuu!!

does this help a little? http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-resources/Teaching-and-education/Animations/DNA/WTDV026689.htm
Original post by James A
Oh crap, yeah just realised it is out of 100..... well yeah i guess, still 75 marks up for grabs in the normal questions!

so just need 62% for an A?
This really shows how difficult the exam is :/
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
so just need 62% for an A?
This really shows how difficult the exam is :/

yeah pretty much. I'm aiming for around 18/19 on the essay question then the normal questions i can take care of, hopefully......

The questions on menstrual cycle tend to repeat, with questions on, 'explain one example of negative and positive feedback in the menstrual cycle'.....

DNA, mRNA is all good, especially with tRNA and working out the base sequences, but the rest of how science works is pretty dam annoying..
Original post by James A
yeah pretty much. I'm aiming for around 18/19 on the essay question then the normal questions i can take care of, hopefully......

The questions on menstrual cycle tend to repeat, with questions on, 'explain one example of negative and positive feedback in the menstrual cycle'.....

DNA, mRNA is all good, especially with tRNA and working out the base sequences, but the rest of how science works is pretty dam annoying..

I've heard that there's less how science works in unit 5 and more knowledge based, im not too sure though, but i hope its true!
Original post by jessplease
I've heard that there's less how science works in unit 5 and more knowledge based, im not too sure though, but i hope its true!

haha i hope so myself. That would be a dream to have in the exam!!!
Wohoo :woo:

Got 50/75 and 20/25 in the June 11 mock, so 70/100 = 124 UMS, just one mark off an A* :biggrin:

:party:
for the essay, im finding it very daunting thinking about revising for it, because i don't actually know what to revise.
Like is there anyway of predicting what's going to come up? is there only so much they could ask a synoptic question about? and how much as is it worth me looking at?

any help would be great thanks!
Original post by thegodofgod

Got 50/75 and 20/25 in the June 11 mock, so 70/100 = 124 UMS, just one mark off an A* :biggrin:

Thats brilliant, well done!
How did you do it lol
Original post by thegodofgod

cheers for the pm response!

thats a superb score still!

You gonna do a gap year for medicine then?
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Thats brilliant, well done!
How did you do it lol

Cheers :biggrin:

I got the best title: Cycles in biology. Went to town on it :party:

If one of the options in our exam is 'Ions in biology', I'd go positively mad - did a plan for it and came up with like 15+ possible ions/uses :woo:

Original post by James A
cheers for the pm response!

thats a superb score still!

You gonna do a gap year for medicine then?

Cheers :smile:

If I get at least AAA, I'll take a gap year :smile:
Reply 279
;/ Avoiding this thread as i cannot stand BIOL5. .. urgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending