The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Just attempted to work out how many marks I would have got - 63ish...B?! Need 109 UMS on this and my unit 2 resit for a B to get into university! :frown:
The main problem i found in the paper was the stupid sheep questions, and what was the last part of question one about? That had me so confused!
There was so much application in this paper, but im hoping and praying that it went alright :smile:
Original post by jodiedoodles
How many marks (roughly) does everyone think I may have gained on the essay on shapes for mentioning..
- second messenger model and hormone receptor complexes
- enzymes , enzyme substate complexes, competitve inhibitors
- acetylcholine and sodium ion channels on the post synaptic neurone for muscle contraction
- oestrogen binding to the receptor site on transcriptional factors to stimulate transcription.

Pretty sure I wrote something else as well but can't remember! I'm worrying as I left myself 45 minutes for the essay and spent about 15 of these on the essay on bacteria, before realising I was writing a load of crap and knew more about the shapes essay! So only had around 25mins-half an hour to do the essay on shapes! So I'm kinda worrying a bit about it :frown:

it depends a lot on your quality of writing and your breadth. There is also the use of shapes in the synapse for different types of neurotransmitters to bind to the dendrites. Also used in medicine, eg. the morning sickness drug that was used :biggrin:
Original post by poison.
literally started grinning like a lunatic when i saw the shapes essay question - ive been praying for that all year!

Lol i can imagine someone bursting into an uncontrollable laughing fit and the invigilators start panicking that the kids lost it:lolwut:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Patchey1000
Only thing I added was complimentary sex organs to increase the chances of mating with your own species to produce a fertile offspring

Gee, i thought i was the only one who wrote about that!
Only thing I added was complimentary sex organs to increase the chances of mating with your own species to produce a fertile offspring

Haha, I mentioned that different species have different sized genitalia, and as an example stated this is why an elephant cannot breed with an ocelot (why an ocelot? Cause they are awesome, that's why)
Reply 3466
Original post by Dann842
Questions 1 through 7 were good (except the ones involving figures, Figures are ****). Questions 8 and 9 were bastards. Essays were nice.

Totally agree! Essay about fitting shapes... was it appropriate to write about fertilisation? lol
Reply 3467
Original post by BillyFord188
(why an ocelot? Cause they are awesome, that's why)

Seems legit.
Could i ask if you guys thought this paper was of similar difficulty to june 11. i thought it was. I personally thought june 10 was the hardest but this paper was quite good, few dodgy bits but that's just biology, overall good. But i don't want grade boundaries to shoot up or become ridiculous (obviously i can't help that) what did you guys think? :smile:
Original post by raveen789
Could i ask if you guys thought this paper was of similar difficulty to june 11. i thought it was. I personally thought june 10 was the hardest but this paper was quite good, few dodgy bits but that's just biology, overall good. But i don't want grade boundaries to shoot up or become ridiculous (obviously i can't help that) what did you guys think? :smile:

Isn't that strange? I thought this paper was harder than June 2011 and on par with June 2010.
Well compare it in this way; our essay titles were more challenging than last year's. Cycles in Biology; I mean come on?
Last year an A was 65/100; I think this year it will be similar at around 63/100. Just an estimation though. Will not be as low as June 2010 as they were the guinea pigs to the new specification.
Reply 3470
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
I swear IAA in roots wasn't in the syllabus. I thought we only need to know its role in leaves?

I definately know it is in the book. however it does seem pretty 'hidden in there'
Original post by alexissocool
Isn't that strange? I thought this paper was harder than June 2011 and on par with June 2010.
Well compare it in this way; our essay titles were more challenging than last year's. Cycles in Biology; I mean come on?
Last year an A was 65/100; I think this year it will be similar at around 63/100. Just an estimation though. Will not be as low as June 2010 as they were the guinea pigs to the new specification.

yeah true! i liked the essay would i was routing for a atp or ions one haha so i was a bit disappointed :tongue:
Reply 3472
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
Lol i can imagine someone bursting into an uncontrollable laughing fit and the invigilators start panicking that the kids lost it:lolwut:

very nearly happened i tell you :smile:

also, am i wrong to say that the question about IAA has come up before, or something very similar anyway? If not i've had major de-ja-vu :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sadii
Totally agree! Essay about fitting shapes... was it appropriate to write about fertilisation? lol

Ye obviously; penis and vagina fit together 2 marks right there.
Reply 3474
Original post by 6former
why was the roots of with iaa kept in the dark. all my responses to part b and c of that relied on the fact it occurs it the light :/

It said in the question that the scientists were trying to investigate the response of the roots to gravity. If they were left in the light, the light would have had an effect on the elongation of the cells and therefore the curvature of the root. Keeping them in the dark also made the investigation like the natural environment of the roots, so the effect of the IAA in actual roots could be seen.
Reply 3475
For the question that said something about why exerscise lead to an increase in heart rate.

I spent SO long going over the heart, but stupidly didnt think about chemo receptors etc.
I wasnt sure of the answer so I put abit abit slow twitch muscle fibres, fast twitch and then I put acetylcholine binds to receptors on the SAN. So would I get any marks for that because I got some kind of point? Or not cos the rest was completely wrong?
Original post by jiimlad
i wasn't sure but originally the voltage mediated gates would open and 1 impulse would fire but then the resting potential would be restored wouldn't it

For this answer I put that action potentials were constantly being fired so muscles were constantly contracting and the intercostal muscles need to be able to relax to exhale. Not sure if it'sright but sounds a lot better than some of the answers I've read on here =P
For water replace that's lost as sweat

For food respiration is reduced to reduce heat produced so less energy is needed

For milk production enzymes used in production begin to denature so less milk I produced

Just guesses really sort of thing I'd expect on a mark scheme

I agree with the first 2 answers but I thought for the milk one the temperatures weren't high enough for denaturing to start. About 35degrees was the highest and denaturing is around 40.
Original post by liamgaul
Wasn't the mothers own egg used tho so there wouldn't be rejection?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The eggs were taken from a different sheep and once fertilised, they put one embryo in a few different sheep so I put immune response too. But I also put that the vector might have inserted dna into a bad place in the genome so a non functioning gene was in there so it couldn't survive.
Original post by doubtful_dee
For this answer I put that action potentials were constantly being fired so muscles were constantly contracting and the intercostal muscles need to be able to relax to exhale. Not sure if it'sright but sounds a lot better than some of the answers I've read on here =P

i put the neurotransmitter wasn't resynthesized so the synapse became 'fatigued' as the synaptic vesicles were empty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending