Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture~Perfect)
    I wrote about proteins, how they are formed from amino acids and how the amine group of one amino acid joins to the carboxyl group of another and I drew an amino acids (chemical structure). I then wrote about enzymes and gave an example. I went on to talk about photosynthesis, I know this seems weird but I could remember it so I went with it. I mentioned how in the light dependent reaction when the carrier enzyme takes up electrons they're shapes must fit. Then I mentioned the light dependent reaction and drew the Calvin cycle and mentioned how carbon dioxide fits with ribulose biphosphate due to their shapes etc. Then I mentioned muscle contraction in animals and topped it with active transport both in animals i.e establishing a resting potential and in plants when they draw ions up form the soil. I'm hoping for about 20-22 marks. *fingers crossed*
    ouchhh... I cant believe I forgot muscle contraction...instead I stayed with enzymes and tried to apply that to as many scenarios as I could, so although I talked about the krebs cycle- I talked about the enzymes involved in it and how they must be a specific shape... and how they're needed to make pyruvate.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmudz_009)
    ouchhh... I cant believe I forgot muscle contraction...instead I stayed with enzymes and tried to apply that to as many scenarios as I could, so although I talked about the krebs cycle- I talked about the enzymes involved in it and how they must be a specific shape... and how they're needed to make pyruvate.
    That makes sense, the only reason I managed to cover so many topics is because I memorised three different essays that I'd written in preparation and although none of the titles came up I was able to write bits and pieces from each essay

Best of luck with your results
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally wrote five sides for the shapes essay.

I was proud of that considering that my practise essays usually made 3 sides tops in 40 minutes. I gave myself 35 minutes for this one. D: Thought I was well screwed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the bacteria essay, would talking about these topics, in a lot of detail, and relating a lot to the title be enough to get high marks?

Unit 1: TB
    Unit 1: Cholera
    Unit 4: Nitrogen Cycle
    Unit 5: In Vivo Gene Cloning

I also had Antibiotic Resistance in my plan but didnt include it in the essay.

Thanks.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najd5)
    For the bacteria essay, would talking about these topics, in a lot of detail, and relating a lot to the title be enough to get high marks?

Unit 1: TB
    Unit 1: Cholera
    Unit 4: Nitrogen Cycle
    Unit 5: In Vivo Gene Cloning

I also had Antibiotic Resistance in my plan but didnt include it in the essay.

Thanks.
    I did exactly the same as you! i mean exactly the same! same topics discussed in detail with antibiotic resistance in plan. I think we should do fine because remember its 3 marks for breadth of knowledge they won't like it if we do loads of topics but in little detail because its 16 for scientific content and accuracy so that covers detail ect! So hopefully I think its fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raveen789)
    I did exactly the same as you! i mean exactly the same! same topics discussed in detail with antibiotic resistance in plan. I think we should do fine because remember its 3 marks for breadth of knowledge they won't like it if we do loads of topics but in little detail because its 16 for scientific content and accuracy so that covers detail ect! So hopefully I think its fine
    Hopefully yeah! we'll find out in a couple of months :P i'm not feeling nervous already at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With luck, I think I've got around 65-70 marks in this paper, which would have been an A last year, but a lot of people seem to think the boundary will probably move up this time. Do you think it'll go above 70? I really need at least a high B in this and I'm really worried that I'll have missed out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escapade)
    With luck, I think I've got around 65-70 marks in this paper, which would have been an A last year, but a lot of people seem to think the boundary will probably move up this time. Do you think it'll go above 70? I really need at least a high B in this and I'm really worried that I'll have missed out.
    I don't really see it going above 70, seeing as the lowest was 63 and highest 65. However, i do think it could be slightly higher than previous years (maybe 66-68? random guess :P)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marijuana)
    I don't really see it going above 70, seeing as the lowest was 63 and highest 65. However, i do think it could be slightly higher than previous years (maybe 66-68? random guess :P)
    I really hope so! I honestly don't think the essay questions were any easier this year, but I guess people will always be more prepared each year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone got a link to the paper?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turank)
    anyone got a link to the paper?
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=518db...F043877A%21200

It's been a while since the paper though!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know it was ages ago, but I was just mulling over the essay questions. Is it possible to write a high mark, credible essay for either question? Or, is one of them seen as the easy option taken by less-able candidates?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For the shapes essay question, i didn't really talk about shapes in organisms,just general stuff like enzymes and dna stuff,which is used in organisms. Do you think it'll matter if you didn't specifically talk about shapes in cells and organisms?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    does any one have a copy of the Official Mark scheme....I think it has been released
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    70/100 for an A

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    70 is so high.. I really don't think I got that. Maybe 65 at best, you know? Why can't it go back to 65 for an A??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    70/100 for an A

Do you know the rest of the grade boundaries mate ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    highest ever boundries. FML
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    76 A*
    70 A
    64 B
    59 C
    54 D
    49 E

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone got the mark schemes?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2013
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.