Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If they asked: Write about the biological reactions and pathways that occur within living organisms, what kind of things should we talk about?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    how are people recognising which things they could use from the syllabus for essay, my mind just goes blank, even though i do remember AS stuff i still cant remember the right things
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pritesh.Mistry)
    Total: 25 marks for the essay

Scientific content: 16 marks
    Breadth of knowledge: 3 marks
    Relevance: 3 marks
    Quality of language: 3 marks

From what my teachers tell me, the average person will gain around 12/16 for scientific content, with the remaining 9 marks (which should be mostly achievable) making up for the rest of the marks.

Also, having looked at past papers nerves and muscles didn't come up much - could potentially be a few big questions on these.

I'm hoping, because of the fairly low grade boundaries (65/100 raw marks for an A in June'11) that I'll be able to achieve what I need... still, I haven't really gotten down to hardcore revision for biology yet. A bit worried - just can't seem to find the motivation.
    Cheers! That helps! Do you know how much depth we have to go into on each point? I find the genetic stuff a nightmare to talk about concisely. Also in regards to the non-curriculum specific stuff: is it suppose to be detailed or a sentence or two at most?

Our teacher just seemed to stop bothering in the last term as he was leaving the school at the end of the year. No one feels very prepared at all in our class.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecokid)
    Cheers! That helps! Do you know how much depth we have to go into on each point? I find the genetic stuff a nightmare to talk about concisely. Also in regards to the non-curriculum specific stuff: is it suppose to be detailed or a sentence or two at most?

Our teacher just seemed to stop bothering in the last term as he was leaving the school at the end of the year. No one feels very prepared at all in our class.
    My teacher gave our class a sheet every time we did a practice essay, I'll describe what gives you the top mark in each category.

Scientific content: Exceptional (16/16)

'Material accurate and of a high standard throughout, reflecting a sound understand of the principles involved and a knowledge of factual detail fully in keeping with a programme of A level study. In addition there are some significant references to material that indicates greater depth of breadth of study.'

Breadth of knowledge: (3/3)

'A balanced account making reference to most if not all areas that might realistically be covered on an A-level course of study.'

Relevance: (3/3)

'All material presented is clearly relevant to the title. Allowance should be made of judicious use of introductory material.'

Quality of language: (3/3)

'Material is logically presented in clear, scientific English. Technical terminology has been used effectively and accurately throughout'.

Other things my teacher recommended:

- Write about at least one topic from each unit.
    - Write more about the A2 side - key point
    - Don't draw diagrams unless you can't explain it by writing. After all, what's the point in drawing a diagram, just to explain it in words (wasting time?)

I read on the AQA website also that you should do a maximum of 10-12 lines per point (or topic).

Hope this helped
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just woke up from my sleep with a vision.

'Describe how temperature affects organisms'

:zomg:

'Outline the different cells in organisms and how they are adapted for their functions'

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)

'Outline the different cells in organisms and how they are adapted for their functions'

Oh lord...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone bought the "Writing the synoptic essay" book? i got it but haven't read through any of it yet
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessplease)
    how are people recognising which things they could use from the syllabus for essay, my mind just goes blank, even though i do remember AS stuff i still cant remember the right things
    maybe practise writing lists of topics that you would associate with a keyword, would help jog your memory in the exam
    e.g. "glucose" and then all the parts of the syllabus relative to it - blood glucose regulation, a-glucose, b-glucose, starch digestion, glycolysis/aerobic resp...
    or "variation" - speciation, DNA mutation, meiosis, selection (directional/stabilising).......

This might be effective for you in order to familiarise yourself with the syllabus and how all the topics link together. And after you've done that, maybe start planning for more specific essay Qs Put spider diagrams on your wall!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
    Oh lord...

I could do the temperature one I reckon, quite a bit to bring in i think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahmeh.)
    Anyone bought the "Writing the synoptic essay" book? i got it but haven't read through any of it yet
    Just ordered it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unit 5 notes and synoptic essay
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf Unit 5 bullet points.pdf (316.8 KB, 439 views)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question 10 on the Specimen paper is difficult, hope we don't get a question like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzy J)
    I HAVE JUST ORDERED THIS BOOK!

Time to cancel :P

...and thank you
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are them
    All the bullet points for unit 5, look good
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dollyandra)
    maybe practise writing lists of topics that you would associate with a keyword, would help jog your memory in the exam
    e.g. "glucose" and then all the parts of the syllabus relative to it - blood glucose regulation, a-glucose, b-glucose, starch digestion, glycolysis/aerobic resp...
    or "variation" - speciation, DNA mutation, meiosis, selection (directional/stabilising).......

This might be effective for you in order to familiarise yourself with the syllabus and how all the topics link together. And after you've done that, maybe start planning for more specific essay Qs Put spider diagrams on your wall!
    Thankyou!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you write those notes? Some look like answers from past lpapers, which is great! I went through a billion past papers to remember answers similar to aqa style too
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessplease)
    Did you write those notes? Some look like answers from past lpapers, which is great! I went through a billion past papers to remember answers similar to aqa style too
    Didn't write them, found them on the net
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

The first essay on page 23 is something that i could reproduce, but actually being able to write out that essay in around half an hour excluding planning will be tough.

I guess the key to a good essay is getting a good plan, then the knowledge will flow as we actually get pen to paper.......

But half an hour is gonna be tough for so many lines :zomg:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

The first essay on page 23 is something that i could reproduce, but actually being able to write out that essay in around half an hour excluding planning will be tough.

I guess the key to a good essay is getting a good plan, then the knowledge will flow as we actually get pen to paper.......

But half an hour is gonna be tough for so many lines :zomg:
    That's my problem with the essay, the amount of time, to write a detailed 3-4 page essay and plan in ~40 mins is tough.
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJMick)
    That's my problem with the essay, the amount of time, to write a detailed 3-4 page essay and plan in ~40 mins is tough.
    Not to mention, I'll be clock watching throughout the exam. Especially during the last 40 minutes we have for the essay :lol:

For some parts of the example essays, they go over 10 lines per point/paragraph which AQA does not recommend. Also, the lines that we write on in the actual exam are shorter than the lines in the document......

Also, I have a suspicion that the essays written, the writers forgot to take into account we have 30 minutes to write it excluding planning time. They probably took much longer to write it up.....

But these essays are of the highest calibre, without doubt and the length of them should be treated with a little caution :rofl:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2013
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.