The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by rss.914
I tried answering it but I really don't get the either part?

Ok, so for the first part. You can see from the graph that the gastric juice produced by nervous stimulation is produced faster than the hormonal stimulation. Also, it decreases very quickly after peaking, which shows that the nervous stimulated gastric juice production is short lived, where as the gastric juice produced due to the hormonal response is a more gradual event and lasts longer.

For the second part, if you look on the x axis at 1 hour, and read up to both lines, you can see that 8 units of juice is produced due to nervous stimulation, whilst 2 units are produced due to hormonal stimulation. This gives you a total of 10 units of juice produced and out of those 10 units, 8 units are from the nervous stimulation. So if you scale this up to a percentage you get 80%. For 2 hours and 3 hours you can see that 0 units are produced by nervous stimulation and so this must mean that 0% of the gastric juice produced during those times comes from nervous stimulation :smile:
Reply 541
Ahhhthanks man, it seems so much more simple now ! are you good at restriction mapping etccc?
So... has anyone got Unit 5 notes with markscheme answers? :awesome:
Reply 543
Original post by rss.914
Ahhhthanks man, it seems so much more simple now ! are you good at restriction mapping etccc?

It's cool.. Erm I'm not sure about being good but I can try if you have any questions :tongue: Need to revise that myself haha!
Reply 544
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
I've made posters of bullet points from all the essays you guys have spoke about and stuck them on my wall :smile: I'm really nervous about the essay, and writing is not my forte, but it has put me at ease seeing how you all plan lessons :smile: thank you x
Just did the specimen paper... FML.
Horrible questions on IAA robbed me :frown:
Has someone already uploaded the specimen paper onto this thread?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Any tips on essay writing? :frown:
Reply 548
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Just did the specimen paper... FML.
Horrible questions on IAA robbed me :frown:

Just about to do it.. is the paper really hard overall? What mark did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by Bugsy
Just about to do it.. is the paper really hard overall? What mark did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

It starts off all nice and simple but the HSW questions have a few weird answers. I lost marks for not mentioning certain words. In some parts my answers were more detailed but they didn't use the exact term that the MS had.

I didn't do the essay, so I got 48 out of 75 for the questions. :/
Reply 550
Original post by Bugsy
It's cool.. Erm I'm not sure about being good but I can try if you have any questions :tongue: Need to revise that myself haha!

its soliddd, and the restriction mapping questions on the specimen paper question 9 part b onwards
Original post by rss.914
its soliddd, and the restriction mapping questions on the specimen paper question 9 part b onwards

ah the question about the 1kB and 3kB thing was weird :s
Reply 552
ah the question about the 1kB and 3kB thing was weird :s

tell me about it, that papers got some random stuff in it
Reply 553
Original post by rss.914
ohh okay, by any chance could you help me on this question.....

s.png

c i It lasts for a short time. Because the neurotransmitters are quickly broken down.
And it takes a short time for the response to occur because when electrical impulses travel along nerves they are rapid.
I would also put some numbers in their to back each point up.

ii 80% 0% and 0%.

Just reading off the graph.
Reply 554
It starts off all nice and simple but the HSW questions have a few weird answers. I lost marks for not mentioning certain words. In some parts my answers were more detailed but they didn't use the exact term that the MS had.

I didn't do the essay, so I got 48 out of 75 for the questions. :/

That was a really horrid paper compared to the other two past papers :eek: Some of the end questions are just plain hard :frown:
Original post by Bugsy
That was a really horrid paper compared to the other two past papers :eek: Some of the end questions are just plain hard :frown:

lol, told you! I hope our one won't be like this. :O

What did you get
Reply 556

What did you get

Thanks for the heads up :tongue: Just marking it now, although I'm feeling like I don't want to anymore... slowly losing the will to live :eek:
Reply 557

What did you get

By the way, for Q5ai and ii) surely the MS has it the other way round? During depolarisation Na ions go into the axon not out :confused: and the same for repolarisation with the K ions, they go out of the axon not into..
Original post by Bugsy
By the way, for Q5ai and ii) surely the MS has it the other way round? During depolarisation Na ions go into the axon not out :confused: and the same for repolarisation with the K ions, they go out of the axon not into..

Yeah that's definately wrong
Original post by Bugsy

Yeah, the MS is wrong; I was talking about this earlier in the thread.

Quick Reply