The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
what have we gotta know about genetic modification ?
Reply 741
Original post by ecokid
It's to suppress genes and the proteins that they code for from being continuously produced by a cell. It definitely has an important cellular function as well as potential medical usage. With transcription factors, they are either inhibited or not, however, the presence of siRNA helps maintain a continuous level of a protein within set biological parameters.

i dont know if this sounds silly, but like a suppressor, so it would stop the cell turning into an oncogene? is that possible?
Reply 742
Original post by ashleyp
i dont know if this sounds silly, but like a suppressor, so it would stop the cell turning into an oncogene? is that possible?

The exact science is still out on their precise role, but it's thought that they have multiple uses in cellular maintenance (antiviral and genome roles). SiRNA were only discovered in 1999, which really isn't that long ago!

All you need to remember is that they combine with and then guide an enzyme to an mRNA strand, where siRNA combines with mRNA's complementary bases, which enables the enzyme to cut the mRNA into smaller pieces, preventing the formation of the complete polypeptide.
Reply 743
do we have to know the sanger method in detail
Original post by rss.914
do we have to know the sanger method in detail

er what is this.. O.o
Original post by ecokid
The exact science is still out on their precise role, but it's thought that they have multiple uses in cellular maintenance (antiviral and genome roles). SiRNA were only discovered in 1999, which really isn't that long ago!

All you need to remember is that they combine with and then guide an enzyme to an mRNA strand, where siRNA combines with mRNA's complementary bases, which enables the enzyme to cut the mRNA into smaller pieces, preventing the formation of the complete polypeptide.

How do you know all this :tongue:
You're so good at biology aha :smile:
Reply 746
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
How do you know all this :tongue:
You're so good at biology aha :smile:

hahaha, i honestly am not!! Its just my brain freaks out with random gaps in the curriculum (as it's like leaping from proverbial cliffs, missing the ledge, hitting your head on the cliff and falling down into the abyss!!) :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 747
Gave up with the specimen paper half way through.....:facepalm:
Reply 748
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
er what is this.. O.o

it's part of dna sequencing.
Original post by EffKayy

LOL are you serious?

Get through the rest, you can do it :wink:
Reply 750
Original post by EffKayy

After such a productive and good revision session, I am disappointed k.
Original post by EffKayy

how comes?
How similar would you say zig zag papers are from real papers?
I'm finding it really hard! e.g suggest how a starving person can maintain their blood glucose level?
Reply 753
Original post by jessplease
I'm finding it really hard! e.g suggest how a starving person can maintain their blood glucose level?

I'm assuming it's by taking injections of some sort? What are zig zag papers?
Original post by Bugsy
I'm assuming it's by taking injections of some sort? What are zig zag papers?

http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/3247.asp You can preview them on there, they are just example papers my college get, basically practice papers, but they're really weird, and difficult, and make me worries aha

Is it something obvious like 'eat something'? That'd be in true AQA style :tongue:

Maybe stop moving and lower respiration rate as much as possible? That way less glucose is metabolised etc.

Do the zig zag papers have essay questions in them?
Reply 756
http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/3247.asp You can preview them on there, they are just example papers my college get, basically practice papers, but they're really weird, and difficult, and make me worries aha

Oh okay, thanks! Btw if you have the markscheme can you check the answer for that question? It's going to bug me now :tongue:
Reply 757
or would that be zigzag's way of asking you to talk about the release of glucagon from the pancreas? :confused:
Original post by Kidneyjean
Is it something obvious like 'eat something'? That'd be in true AQA style :tongue:

Maybe stop moving and lower respiration rate as much as possible? That way less glucose is metabolised etc.

Do the zig zag papers have essay questions in them?

Yeah theyy do, only a few, theres were:
1. Describe changes in the human body between resting and exersize explain how changes are bought about and controlled
2. Explain how structure of nucleic acids make them more suitable for fuction
3.Feedback mechanisms
4.The gain and loss of energy in different organisms
5. Characteristics are controlled by the information carried in genes, explan how the great variety of tissues and organisms is created and controlled

They seem quite weird,
also the answer was glyconeogenesis + glycogenolysis
They asked in such a weird wayy!
Original post by Bugsy
Oh okay, thanks! Btw if you have the markscheme can you check the answer for that question? It's going to bug me now :tongue:

Original post by JayI
or would that be zigzag's way of asking you to talk about the release of glucagon from the pancreas? :confused:

Answer was glyconeogenesis + glycogenolysis, didnt even think of that tbh :frown: its annoying when you look at the markscheme and you know the answer but they just asked it in the weirdest way possible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending