The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ilovemath
does anyone have the Biology Paper Unit 5 June 2011?

Ah, had it a few months back but cleared out my laptop:frown:. Questions were so sonfusing on that paper. IIRC though, one essay title was about Cycles Across Biology; how the product on one cycle is used as a starter for another - something like that. The other one was about Gene Technology. But both were really nice essays.
I was just having a look at the June 2010 paper... very synoptic, do we all remember Unit 1, 2 and 4? :sad:
I did this last year, and am having to retake it... FML.

How are people finding the DNA technology topics?

Also anyone have last year's paper and mark-scheme?
Reply 83
Hate this unit so much - extremely dull topics, have no motivation to even learn this!
Original post by EffKayy
Hate this unit so much - extremely dull topics, have no motivation to even learn this!

I find the topics interesting but it is A LOT to learn. The genetics stuff kills me though, that's the real boring stuff! Starting my revision for this unit tomorrow, already done one essay, should keep practising to revisit all the topics
Reply 85
Original post by LifeIsGood
I find the topics interesting but it is A LOT to learn. The genetics stuff kills me though, that's the real boring stuff! Starting my revision for this unit tomorrow, already done one essay, should keep practising to revisit all the topics

I just can't be bothered anymore. I only need a D/E in this unit anyway to get the grade I need =)

How are you revising for the essay..?
Original post by EffKayy
I just can't be bothered anymore. I only need a D/E in this unit anyway to get the grade I need =)

How are you revising for the essay..?

Doing practice essay using a model anwer I already have :smile:
Original post by NutterFrutter
For anyone who doesn't know... 40/100 marks on the Unit 5 paper are synoptic. :sad:

I thought the essay's out of 25 marks (25/100 marks).

EDIT: Just saw about the 15 Data handling marks. :colondollar:

:hmmm: I thought they killed us enough with the data handling in the EMPA :mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thegodofgod
I thought the essay's out of 25 marks (25/100 marks).

The essay isn't the only synoptic part of the exam, there are other marks as well, they total to 40/100. I was looking through a past paper yesterday and it's definitely more than just the essay which is synoptic.
Original post by LifeIsGood

:woo:

I love everything apart from Genetics too :woo:

Unfortunately that's like half the unit :sad:
Reply 90
Should I bother revising succession for the synoptic essay? I find it hard to imagine how it could be included in the titles which have come up so far.
Reply 91
Just wondering but can we get 16 marks for the scientific content by listing 16 relevant points? Do we have to write about every topic that's ever covered in A-level biology to gain the 3 breadth marks?

I'm really scared about the essay! Does anyone have any sample titles we can go through?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 92
Need 107/140 or about that for an A.

Doing 1,4 and 5 units. FML.
Reply 93
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I did this last year, and am having to retake it... FML.

How are people finding the DNA technology topics?

Also anyone have last year's paper and mark-scheme?

Didn't you get into uni this year?

DNA technology is a mind **** although it is very interesting.

Isn't the past paper on the website?
Original post by Besakt
DNA technology is a mind ****

:sadnod:

although it is very interesting.

:no:

I prefer all the physiology, like action potentials, muscle contraction, etc. :colondollar:
Original post by Onee-chan
Just wondering but can we get 16 marks for the scientific content by listing 16 relevant points? Do we have to write about every topic that's ever covered in A-level biology to gain the 3 breadth marks?

I'm really scared about the essay! Does anyone have any sample titles we can go through?

Thanks! :biggrin:

I think the 3 breadth marks are for including at least one relevant point from each of the 4 units; 1, 2, 4, and 5.

What's the mark scheme like for the off-spec stuff? :ninja:
Reply 96
:sadnod:

:no:

I prefer all the physiology, like action potentials, muscle contraction, etc. :colondollar:

I've just managed to revise, unit 1,4 and most of 5 in a day.

I think I have too much caffeine in my system.:redface:
Original post by Besakt
Didn't you get into uni this year?

DNA technology is a mind **** although it is very interesting.

Isn't the past paper on the website?

Yup I got into uni this year, but im a resit applicant
Original post by Besakt
I've just managed to revise, unit 1,4 and most of 5 in a day.

I think I have too much caffeine in my system.:redface:

:eek4:

HOW???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Reply 99
:eek4:

HOW???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

First you must lose all social connections with the outside world. No social life. Next you must go to your local shop and find the cheapest drink with the highest caffeine content, buy 50.

Get books out and revise like your life depends on it, oh and have something to look forward to later, for me that's the gym/sleep. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending