Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    Revision is going well on my part. Just finished writing down some exam questions from the DNA topics that I think could pop up in the exam. I'm referring to chapter 14 and 16 in the book
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Revision is going well on my part. Just finished writing down some exam questions from the DNA topics that I think could pop up in the exam. I'm referring to chapter 14 and 16 in the book
    What book are you using?
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    What book are you using?
    nelson thornes
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Unit 5 revision is going well, but I need to go over Unit 1, 2 and 4 yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onee-chan)
    Just wondering but can we get 16 marks for the scientific content by listing 16 relevant points? Do we have to write about every topic that's ever covered in A-level biology to gain the 3 breadth marks?

I'm really scared about the essay! Does anyone have any sample titles we can go through?

Thanks!
    My Bio teacher gave me the low down today. Marking goes up in even numbers for the scientific content. So you can get 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

In terms of the content, you should cover 8-10 areas if possible. With each area, say what it is and expand. Say, for diffusion, you could get a mark for talking about Fick's Law and another mark for giving an example, such as gas exchange in the lungs. For each topic area you cover, there is a maximum of two marks on offer. So don't go on and on about a point because you won't get any more marks for it!! Each point should be a paragraph, no longer than 10 lines.

So, to answer your question. No. :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was going through the list of synoptic things we need to learn, and for unit 2, it said

The biochemical basis and cellular organisation of life is similar for all organisms
    Does anyone know what the bit in bold is referring to?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    I was going through the list of synoptic things we need to learn, and for unit 2, it said

You have a list of all the synoptic things we need to learn? Do share... or is it just specification points?
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    Making some notes on regulation of body temperature in the Homeostasis chapter.

The menstrual cycle is a killer, learning which hormones inhibit other hormones (LH, FSH, Oestrogen, Progesterone)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Making some notes on regulation of body temperature in the Homeostasis chapter.

The menstrual cycle is a killer, learning which hormones inhibit other hormones (LH, FSH, Oestrogen, Progesterone)
    Ahh, you just reminded me I need to make some notes on Muscle Contraction.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    You have a list of all the synoptic things we need to learn? Do share... or is it just specification points?
    Just the Biological principles bit at the end of each unit where it says
    Understanding of these principles may be tested in Units 5 and 6
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    Just the Biological principles bit at the end of each unit where it says
    Ahhh, ok.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elzie)
    My Bio teacher gave me the low down today. Marking goes up in even numbers for the scientific content. So you can get 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

In terms of the content, you should cover 8-10 areas if possible. With each area, say what it is and expand. Say, for diffusion, you could get a mark for talking about Fick's Law and another mark for giving an example, such as gas exchange in the lungs. For each topic area you cover, there is a maximum of two marks on offer. So don't go on and on about a point because you won't get any more marks for it!! Each point should be a paragraph, no longer than 10 lines.

So, to answer your question. No. :P
    Thanks so much!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)

Might be talking about fats, CHO and proteins, in that the same (or similar) monomers are used in all organisms.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    could please kindly share what qs you think could pop up in the exam?

Thanks
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutterFrutter)
    Ahh, you just reminded me I need to make some notes on Muscle Contraction.
    Muscle Contractions are ultimately aided by ATP and ADP on the myosin heads haha, you can't escape the realm of ATP muhahahaha :rofl:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what you'd write for an essay on the Biological importance of water?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    Does anyone know what you'd write for an essay on the Biological importance of water?
    Oh my, that would be a lovely essay, so many possibilities. Just think of where water crops up in each unit and it's in quite a few places.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuss)
    You can write about anything really, as long as you can concisely link it to water! So, you could talk about condensation/hydrolysis reactions, osmosis and water potential, photolysis.. Maybe even gas exchange in fish and the role of water! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry to break the conversation about essays, I was just wondering if anyone had the 2009 past paper for this unit 5? Because I'm sure there will be one, however my teacher mentioned that 2009 was for the old syllabus re-sits...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydney07)
    Hey sorry to break the conversation about essays, I was just wondering if anyone had the 2009 past paper for this unit 5? Because I'm sure there will be one, however my teacher mentioned that 2009 was for the old syllabus re-sits...
    Hi there. unfortunately, there isn't a unit 5 paper for 2009 based on the current specification. This is because the new spec started in 2009 and the only papers released that year were for AS, not A2. However, if you are looking for more past papers to do, I'd advise doing the old spec papers (and maybe human biology papers) as a significant proportion of it overlaps with this course anyway. Hope this helps!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2013
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.