The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by badumdumtscht
That sounds waaaay cooler than biomed. :frown:

But I'm sure they'll agree with me when I say learning all the knowledge required to do this sort of analysis and writing such a legal statement and report is a complete ass!

I'm basically writing notes of this sort of stuff right now and I'm already bored :p:
Original post by Loz17
See now I'm really jealous at that sounds like heaven to me as this is what I wouldn't mind doing as a career.

In that case then, if you didn't calibrate it, don't mention it at all but no doubt they will have been calibrated by lab staff at some point. And you will really have to watch your quantities. Another thing I noticed when watching some experts (3rd years) defending their statements was they seemed picky in making sure when weighing out evidence, all of it was re-recovered and none left over on the balance etc.

I guess if you're not defending it in court you need the S9 then. Best of luck with it. I'd rather do that then write notes for forensic physical methods revision.

Eesh, we didn't actually weigh things onto balances, GC-MS and IR stages. We just covered the crystal as we were told to - but no trace was left, all was cleaned with methanol solution. For NMR specific quantities were used (apart from "3 fingers of X solution" whatever the hell that means).
Ah I still need to start writing notes for criminalistic methods (sounds very similar to forensic physical methods - do you do things like fingerprint enhancement, shoe prints analysis, ink and stuff?).

That sounds waaaay cooler than biomed. :frown:

See I'd rather be doing biomed. Only because the grass sounds greener. Drugs are interesting, the practical side. When having to write this stuff up it's more about the theory than anything else, completely kills the enthusiasm.
Original post by Loz17
But I'm sure they'll agree with me when I say learning all the knowledge required to do this sort of analysis and writing such a legal statement and report is a complete ass!

I'm basically writing notes of this sort of stuff right now and I'm already bored :p:

I'm doing biomed so we do things like immunology, haematology, clinical microbiology and so on. I only ever feel CSI-ish when I'm using Gilson pipettes. The analytical biochemistry stuff kills me.
Was gonna have a Sunday off but feel way too guilty :frown:

I hate how uni does that to you.
Original post by toxik_apple
Eesh, we didn't actually weigh things onto balances, GC-MS and IR stages. We just covered the crystal as we were told to - but no trace was left, all was cleaned with methanol solution. For NMR specific quantities were used (apart from "3 fingers of X solution" whatever the hell that means).
Ah I still need to start writing notes for criminalistic methods (sounds very similar to forensic physical methods - do you do things like fingerprint enhancement, shoe prints analysis, ink and stuff?).

Ahh fair enough. I'm not sure on the solution myself, but it could be something to do with the solvent used for analysing a substance by NMR? That's just a guess though.

Similar, yea. We're more focusing on methods used in recovery of evidence, so what developer is best for fingerprints on which surface, order of recovery, what the different types of blood splatter can tell us about what happened at the SOC (in terms of both the drop type and the distribution of blood splatter), what the different types of toolmark impressions are and how you recover them etc. We did all the show print/ink analysis things for a module last year so this year it's focusing on what you can tell from the recovered evidence and how to properly recover and analyse it.

I'm doing biomed so we do things like immunology, haematology, clinical microbiology and so on. I only ever feel CSI-ish when I'm using Gilson pipettes. The analytical biochemistry stuff kills me.

Well I'm studying the degree (well sort of, doing Forensic Chemistry) and I've never used anything as such :p: tbf I used to be really interested in things like haematology and immunology so in some ways I'd rather be doing your degree

(and in other ways I'd rather by doing just a straight chemistry degree)

Quick question, are most people starting back at uni on monday?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2105
im going to finally start some proper revision now after messing around for the whole day.

Going to do some revision notes on heart failure and hopefully start angina if i have time. Also want to start some gastrointestinal stuff in the evening at about 8ish start with anatomy and physio. I wanted to do a calculations sheet but cannot bring myself to do this - i have done too many and feel very fed up but the exam is in 2 weeks so may do some tomorrow.

I can't believe how quickly the holidays are going. I 've got another week of holidays left so i'm hoping that i can get some solid work done unlike the other 2 weeks. My siblings have gone back to work and uni now. They were huge distractions so it is just me in the house now which will help but i really need to snap out of this laziness and i-can't-be-bothered attitude. In a way, I am so fed up of doing exams that I just don't have the motivation to work
Original post by Loz17
Ahh fair enough. I'm not sure on the solution myself, but it could be something to do with the solvent used for analysing a substance by NMR? That's just a guess though.

Similar, yea. We're more focusing on methods used in recovery of evidence, so what developer is best for fingerprints on which surface, order of recovery, what the different types of blood splatter can tell us about what happened at the SOC (in terms of both the drop type and the distribution of blood splatter), what the different types of toolmark impressions are and how you recover them etc. We did all the show print/ink analysis things for a module last year so this year it's focusing on what you can tell from the recovered evidence and how to properly recover and analyse it.

Quick question, are most people starting back at uni on monday?

We're doing all of that stuff too....pretty much exactly that. Along with a module in Forensic Chemistry (so basically drug analysis, blood analysis, trace evidence etc).
About the Gilson pipette, we just call it a micropipette - pretty sure all forensics student would have used them. We have to more or less every session.
I go back on the 30th, then have 2 more weeks of class and exams straight afterwards.
We're doing all of that stuff too....pretty much exactly that. Along with a module in Forensic Chemistry (so basically drug analysis, blood analysis, trace evidence etc).
About the Gilson pipette, we just call it a micropipette - pretty sure all forensics student would have used them. We have to more or less every session.
I go back on the 30th, then have 2 more weeks of class and exams straight afterwards.

Awesome. We did all our drug analysis stuff and that in first year. You have a module in Forensic Chemistry? Wow. That's my degree title :lol:

Ahh, micro pipette. We only used them in the biochemistry module last year. Never needed them again.

Ah ok, that's cool. It's just everyone of my friends seem to be going back tomorrow, and I'm only just over a week into my 4 week holiday!
I've finished everything for my project now. I can just go into uni and hand it in. No last minute panic or anything. And I get to go to choir tonight. Awesome.

3 week intensive module starts tomorrow. We get a boat day on Weds/Thurs.
Original post by Loz17
Awesome. We did all our drug analysis stuff and that in first year. You have a module in Forensic Chemistry? Wow. That's my degree title :lol:

Ahh, micro pipette. We only used them in the biochemistry module last year. Never needed them again.

Ah ok, that's cool. It's just everyone of my friends seem to be going back tomorrow, and I'm only just over a week into my 4 week holiday!

Last year we were doing 'Chemical Science Principles' - so making our own aspirin, learning how to analyse various analytical data, re-learning chemistry A2 again bla bla. Last semester we had Forensic Genetics, so the same stuff Human Biology students do in 2nd year, and Spectroscopy and Advanced Analysis - so the theory behind chromatography and spectroscopy/spectrometry, which instruments to use on which sample etc. Now it's Drugs of Abuse alongside Pharmacy and Chemistry students and then the stuff you've explained. It's interesting to learn what other forensics students do. Really varied course taking something from each science.

Aha we got 4 weeks, 2 too many I think.
Back to writing up my blood stain experiment :frown:
Original post by hothedgehog
I've finished everything for my project now. I can just go into uni and hand it in. No last minute panic or anything. And I get to go to choir tonight. Awesome.

3 week intensive module starts tomorrow. We get a boat day on Weds/Thurs.

I;m not allowed to rep you again, but well done :biggrin:
Last year we were doing 'Chemical Science Principles' - so making our own aspirin, learning how to analyse various analytical data, re-learning chemistry A2 again bla bla. Last semester we had Forensic Genetics, so the same stuff Human Biology students do in 2nd year, and Spectroscopy and Advanced Analysis - so the theory behind chromatography and spectroscopy/spectrometry, which instruments to use on which sample etc. Now it's Drugs of Abuse alongside Pharmacy and Chemistry students and then the stuff you've explained. It's interesting to learn what other forensics students do. Really varied course taking something from each science.

Aha we got 4 weeks, 2 too many I think.
Back to writing up my blood stain experiment :frown:

I don't know, I'm enjoying the 4 weeks off. Although I'll probably go back to uni and back to work earlier then I usually would though.

It is interesting to see what other forensics students do. Our modules are very very science based generally but we also do all of the recovery of evidence and laws behind it too.

How much theory do you do with spectroscopy? We seem to have to go into quantum chemistry for ours, schrodinger and boltzmann equations and the such :sigh:
Original post by Loz17
I don't know, I'm enjoying the 4 weeks off. Although I'll probably go back to uni and back to work earlier then I usually would though.

It is interesting to see what other forensics students do. Our modules are very very science based generally but we also do all of the recovery of evidence and laws behind it too.

How much theory do you do with spectroscopy? We seem to have to go into quantum chemistry for ours, schrodinger and boltzmann equations and the such :sigh:

two of my housemates for next year do forensic chemistry at my uni (uea)- they seem to do a lot of 'normal' chemistry plus a couple of forensics modules. they've mentioned a lot of inorganic and organic chemistry and genetics. next year one of my friends is taking medicinal chemistry as her elective and in 3rd year they go to Miami for a semester as part of their course.
It took me nearly 2 hours to read a few pages and make notes earlier :/ Currrently trying to write a manifesto for a society position I want which has taken me way too much time as well.
Original post by jelly1000
two of my housemates for next year do forensic chemistry at my uni (uea)- they seem to do a lot of 'normal' chemistry plus a couple of forensics modules. they've mentioned a lot of inorganic and organic chemistry and genetics. next year one of my friends is taking medicinal chemistry as her elective and in 3rd year they go to Miami for a semester as part of their course.

Yea, my course is the same. Even the scientists do a lot of chemistry, it's just we do more chemistry and less forensics than they do.
I've 2 inorganic modules, one organic and one thermodynamics/spectroscopy (so physical chemistry) module this year. I've also a medicinal chemistry module next year (and we had one in 1st year too)

What do they do in miami?
Original post by Loz17
Yea, my course is the same. Even the scientists do a lot of chemistry, it's just we do more chemistry and less forensics than they do.
I've 2 inorganic modules, one organic and one thermodynamics/spectroscopy (so physical chemistry) module this year. I've also a medicinal chemistry module next year (and we had one in 1st year too)

What do they do in miami?

ah yes i think they do physical chemistry as well. pretty sure they haven't done medicinal chemistry this year (their 1st) and im not sure myself but this is what is says on the uni course profile they do stuff like Crime Scene Investigation. It's all here if your interested
http://www.uea.ac.uk/che/courses/mchem-forensic-and-investigative-chemistry#year_3
Original post by jelly1000
ah yes i think they do physical chemistry as well. pretty sure they haven't done medicinal chemistry this year (their 1st) and im not sure myself but this is what is says on the uni course profile they do stuff like Crime Scene Investigation. It's all here if your interested
http://www.uea.ac.uk/che/courses/mchem-forensic-and-investigative-chemistry#year_3

That looks really good, although I don't think I could do that :p:

Their modules are very similar to mine in content it seems.
This all sounds very different to my course. Next year we're doing toxicology, ballistics, arson, insects (decomposing bodies) etc -which all will include a lot of chemistry and biology but it's very much tending towards the crime scene investigation. Next year we have the option of going to Tennessee to the Body Farm and doing a course there for a month.

Yeah we did a lot of Boltzmann, Schrodinger and quantum chemistry - I hated every bit of it! The stuff I'm doing right this second is very mathsy. Sometimes the amount of various different sciences in forensics frustrates me - I'm no good at maths or physics, whereas I love biology and chemistry (especially organic).
Did nothing today!! Facebook should ban me!! lol
This all sounds very different to my course. Next year we're doing toxicology, ballistics, arson, insects (decomposing bodies) etc -which all will include a lot of chemistry and biology but it's very much tending towards the crime scene investigation. Next year we have the option of going to Tennessee to the Body Farm and doing a course there for a month.

Yeah we did a lot of Boltzmann, Schrodinger and quantum chemistry - I hated every bit of it! The stuff I'm doing right this second is very mathsy. Sometimes the amount of various different sciences in forensics frustrates me - I'm no good at maths or physics, whereas I love biology and chemistry (especially organic).

The 2nd year forensic scientists are doing ballistics, they're also doing some sort of archaeology or anthropology. That sounds good fun. We're making a pig body farm apparently.

Urgh it's horrible isn't it. I hate it but I'm almost there with understanding it. Well, better than I thought anyway. It's fresh in my mind though, only did the assignment and lab reports on it in the last 2 weeks of term.

And you might like organic now, but if you ever meet it after now you might hate it. I liked it until my organic module this year. Now, i hate it!

----
Through 4/22 lectures. The next 2 I basically have a table on so can learn off of that, and then just add little bits as I need too. Might be done in an hour. But first I need chocolate!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending